PDA

View Full Version : interesting hand; tricky plays

02-01-2002, 10:35 AM
This is one of the most gut-instinct inspired hands I have played in a while. I may have played this wrong on every street. I'm just posting my actions here. My thoughts and results will follow immediately.

This is a typical paradise 2-4.

Preflop: I have [ Ad Kh ] in the SB. 4 of the first 5 players call, everyone else folds. I call in the SB. BB times out ... he's all in.

FLOP: [ 9h 6h 9c ]. I check, 3 more checks, and the last player to act bets. I raise. One middle player calls, LP calls.

TURN: [ 9h 6h 9c ] [ Ks ] I bet. MP calls, LP folds.

RIVER: [ 9h 6h 9c Ks ] [ 3s ] I check.

Thanks,

Dan

02-01-2002, 10:44 AM
Preflop: I have [ Ad Kh ] in the SB. Out of position, against 5 people, I choose not to raise. I have to flop well to win, and I figure it will be both easier to force people out if the flop comes my way and muck if it doesn't.

FLOP: [ 9h 6h 9c ]. Eeew. I plan to check fold, but it gets checked to the last player (LP) to act, who bets. I see an opportunity here to re-steal, and I decide my hand might be best. It's raise or fold. One of the MP calls, and LP calls. One caller is okay. If he springs to life on the turn, that should mean a 9. I think the raise makes my turn play easier.

TURN: [ 9h 6h 9c ] [ Ks ] Well, I still have to bet out, the only difference is that I now am a little more comfortable as I don't worry about pocket pairs. With my flop c/r, I don't expect a flush draw to get tricky and raise me here. I still think I fold if raised.

RIVER: [ 9h 6h 9c Ks ] [ 3s ] Either MP was on the flush draw, or I am beaten, I think. I don't expect the missed draw to call, so what hands does he call with? 9s, maybe middle pairs, maybe 6s. I don't think I'm a favorite if called, so I checked, but I am not so sure. Let's see ... overpairs to the flop would tend to bet out not check. Underpairs should fold to the checkraise. I only think we would call with 6s, 7s, and 8s. Is this more likely than a 9? Yeah, I think so. I think I should have bet.

but MP checks, and has Ah Jh, and I win.

02-01-2002, 11:35 AM
I'm no expert, so take this with a grain of salt.

I think you played the hand consistently after passing on the pre-flop raise. Your only fear after the turn was a 9, and since you weren't raised I would have gone ahead and bet the river. Anyone with a 6 might have called you and maybe even the Ace.

I like to raise pre flop here and come out betting. My experience is that the A-K holds up a lot here even when you don't hit because everyone puts you on a big pair.

I think you played it quite well.

02-01-2002, 04:50 PM
I agree with the pre flop raise. to quote Clarkmiester, "if you limp in on my blind, I'll punish you!" I have recently adopted this concept, and found it VERY successful in normal to loose games, raising all the way down to A-Js. A raise preflop and a check to the flop on your hand would have made it very difficult for the button to try to steal it here. without the nine he almost has to check for fear of your overpair in early position. That gives you a free turn, where you hit big, and assures you the pot, (almost, unless it was slowplayed) no longer afraid of the nine. I'm not sure you played it incorrectly post flop, considering that you didn't raise pre flop, I just think you set yourself up to lose a few turn or river bets.

02-01-2002, 05:27 PM
very nice and thought out...i woulda done the same..except i woulda bet the river. the river was a brick, if anyone had anything youd likely have heard it on the turn. go ahead and bet it. if they raise, then ya call.

just some ideas...

b