PDA

View Full Version : How did I do (part 1)

Justaloser
02-24-2004, 08:16 AM
Party Poker 2/4 (9 handed)
Hero has 9s, 9c and is UTG

Hero raises, Button 3-bets, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls

Flop(7 1/2 SB): 5c, 2c, 8c

Hero bets, Button raises, Hero calls

Turn(5 3/4 BB): 2d

Hero checks, Button bets, Hero raises, Button calls

River(9 3/4 BB): Qh

Hero bets, Button calls

BigEndian
02-24-2004, 09:02 AM
Why the turn check-raise? If you think they'd raise with a hand you can beat on the button and on the flop (AcKd for instance) ram and jam on the flop. Raising the turn doesn't gain any info other than they don't appear to have the flush.

Did you have a read prior to this hand that this person would raise the button light with a low pair? You played your hand like you had the flush or big pair and they still didn't lay down. It looks to me that your read went awry.

- Jim

Justaloser
02-24-2004, 09:20 AM
I admit I blew this one, partly because I did something that I should never do.

I tried to "payback" him for when he turn checkraised me earlier. Of course, he had a set on that hand.

chesspain
02-24-2004, 10:00 AM
Once you get raised on the flop, you need to go into checkcall mode, since the only logical hand which you are beating is AK (and maybe AQ). This strategy, when heads-up, allows you to lose the least when behind but earn the most when your opponent will continue to bluff with overcards.

Luke
02-24-2004, 12:02 PM
If anything, I'm going to checkraise the flop, not the turn. Charge him 2 bets if he's drawing to overcards and get some information about where I stand. If I'm 3-bet, I'll consider folding depending on my read on the oppponent.

Luke

unreal_ugn
02-24-2004, 01:55 PM
I personally don't like raising pocket pairs in early unless they're Js or higher. The fact that you were re-raised preflop screams high cards (AK, AQ) or high pair (JJ-AA). I'm not sure what your read was on this guy, but 99 is not something you want to have preflop with 3 bets in the pot. I think you'd save more money in the long run by mucking that pair o' nines on the spot when you got the re-raise.

pudley4
02-24-2004, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I personally don't like raising pocket pairs in early unless they're Js or higher. The fact that you were re-raised preflop screams high cards (AK, AQ) or high pair (JJ-AA). I'm not sure what your read was on this guy, but 99 is not something you want to have preflop with 3 bets in the pot. I think you'd save more money in the long run by mucking that pair o' nines on the spot when you got the re-raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a bad idea (if you're talking about folding preflop). There are 6.5 sb in the pot, it only costs 1 sb to call. You are only 7.5-1 against flopping a set. You call, even if you know your opponent has AA.

pudley4
02-24-2004, 04:25 PM
Either check-call him down, or checkraise the flop and lead the turn.

BaronVonCP
02-24-2004, 04:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I admit I blew this one, partly because I did something that I should never do.

I tried to "payback" him for when he turn checkraised me earlier. Of course, he had a set on that hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you should wait til you have a set to 'pay him back'

Justaloser
02-24-2004, 09:23 PM
He turns over JJ.