PDA

View Full Version : My Early 2004 Election Breakdown

sam h
02-24-2004, 03:20 AM
Well I'm procrastinating on doing some work, so I thought I would provide a little early electoral college analysis. IMHO, here's what we're looking at right now. Note that when I refer to a state as a "lock," I don't mean that there's no way the candidate loses it. I mean that if it shapes up to be any kind of close race, this state is going this way. Personally, I think we're in for a close one. But unpredictable things can happen, though a landslide against Bush seems very unlikely.

Bush Locks (23 for 211 EV)

Alabama 9
Alaska 3
Arizona 10
Colorado 9
Georgia 15
Idaho 4
Indiana 11
Kansas 6
Kentucky 8
Mississippi 6
Montana 3
Nebraska 5
North Carolina 15
North Dakota 3
Ohio 20
Oklahoma 7
South Carolina 8
South Dakota 3
Tennessee 11
Texas 34
Utah 5
Virginia 13
Wyoming 3

Kerry Locks (15 for 210 EV)

California 55
Connecticut 7
Delaware 3
District of Columbia 3
Hawaii 3
Illinois 21
Maryland 10
Massachusetts 12
Minnesota 10
New Jersey 15
New York 31
Pennsylvania 21
Rhode Island 4
Vermont 3
Washington 11

Battlegrounds (13 for 117 EV)

Arkansas 6
Florida 27
New Hampshire 4
Iowa 7
Louisiana 9
Maine 4
Michigan 17
Missouri 11
Nevada 5
New Mexico 5
Oregon 7
West Virginia 5
Wisconsin 10

There are several interesting things to note about this. First is that the conventional wisdom that the Democrats need to win a southern state (not including Florida) to capture the White House seems erroneous. Kerry can win without the south, even theoretically without Florida, though this is fairly unlikely. This really downgrades the attraction of an Edwards VP nod, IMHO. North Carolina seems to be going to Bush anyway. If Kerry wants to try to capture a southern state, his best chance might actually be Louisiana, which makes popular centrist Democratic senator John Breaux a pretty interesting VP candidate.

Interestingly enough, one corollary of this is that being a New Englander may not really hurt Kerry that much. In fact, if he can parlay some sort of regional popularity thing into winning New Hampshire and Maine, that will give him a big boost.

While I have derided Kerry's labor politicing and traditional democratic appeals, the strategy does seem to be pretty sound from an electoral standpoint. Four key states for him are Michigan, Missouri, Wisconsin, and West Virginia. Take those 4 and he's only 17 EV away from winning. Gore won Michigan and Wisconsin, the latter by just a smidgeon. (Kerry is crushing Bush in Wisconsin polls right now, though this is partly a result of the recent primary). Bush won the other two in very close races.

I think Bush has to figure out two things: 1) a way to engage Kerry in these labor heavy mid-western states and 2) a way to lock up Florida. While there might be scenarios where Kerry wins without Florida (though I think this is very unlikely), its pretty tough to imagine Bush doing so.

Go Nevada, dark horse swing state!

bigpooch
02-24-2004, 09:13 AM
Great post! You also provide another meaning for EV! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

BTW, you committed a small typo: Hawaii has 4 EVs.

As you stated, if Bush wins Florida, he'll almost certainly
win the election: that's 27 EVs.

Let's say the Democratic candidate (assume it's Kerry) wins
Iowa, Maine, Michigan, Oregon, West Virginia and Wisconsin.
These are states that the Democrats have some chance to win.
Suppose Bush wins Florida's 27 EVs.

Democrats get 50EVs for a total of 260 EVs vs the Bush total
of 211+27=238 EVs with the following battleground states
that seem to favor Bush at present and their EVs:

Arkansas 6
Lousiana 9
Missouri 11
Nevada 5
New Hampshire 4
New Mexico 5

Total of 40 EVs.

Of these, the Democrats may be able to win New Hampshire,
New Mexico, Missouri and Nevada for another 25 EVs but Bush
is still favored in these states. If the election is close
but with Bush locking up Florida, Missouri may be a very
important battleground.

I agree with you that if the election is a landslide, it's
almost certainly going to be another four years with Bush.

bigpooch
03-06-2004, 04:05 PM
Can anyone provide clarification or analysis for the
following battleground states (EVs follow):

Iowa 7
Michigan 17
Missouri 11
New Hampshire 4
New Mexico 5
Pennsylvania 21 (Democrat in original post)
West Virginia 5
Wisconsin 10

These states may be close contests. Others that seem less
close are:

Republican likely:

Arkansas 6
Florida 27
Louisiana 9
Nevada 5

Democrats likely:

Maine 4
Oregon 7

sam h
03-06-2004, 04:22 PM
Florida seems to me much more contested. Lastest poll shows Kerry at 45%, Bush at 44%, Nader at 4%. Probably Ralph won't make the ballot, which should give Kerry a boost. Hard not to see this one as a battleground, IMO.

Pennslyvania looks pretty close by recent polls. But the Democratic Party is strong there right now. John Street won the mayoral in Philly last fall very easily and the party machine really kicked into gear. Ed Rendell is a popular Democratic governor with national aspirations, and I think he'll put a lot of effor into this one. I only see Bush winning if its a national landslide his way.

I agree that Bush is the big fav in Arkansas, Louisiana, and Nevada and that Kerry has the advantage in Oregon. Don't know about Maine, which I think might have gone Bush's way against Gore but I'm not sure.

Kerry looks pretty strong in Michigan by recent polls.

This is a good site (http://www.dcpoliticalreport.com/CurrentPolls.htm) for polls in a variety of states.

whiskeytown
03-06-2004, 04:37 PM
I cannot believe it could come down again to FL and Nader taking votes from Democratic Candidates - unreal

we're gonna get 4 more years of Robin Hood in Reverse at this rate -

RB

bigpooch
03-06-2004, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the link and the up to date analysis! Looks like
another close FLA vote.

Dynasty
03-06-2004, 06:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Florida seems to me much more contested. Lastest poll shows Kerry at 45%, Bush at 44%, Nader at 4%

[/ QUOTE ]

All these polls showing Kerry equal with Bush are bad news for Kerry. After a couple months of mostly fantastic (winning) press for Kerry and several more months of Bush-bashing by the democrats, Kerry should have a lead. Dole was beating Clinton. Mondale was beating Reagan. Yet, Kerry can't move ahead of Bush?

Ray Zee
03-06-2004, 07:05 PM
i didnt know florida had that many people. what did they do, give EV based on amount of people times the average age or something.

bigpooch
03-06-2004, 07:47 PM
The electoral votes is just the number of senators (always
two) plus House Representatives for that state. The latter
is determined by the last census. Here's an interesting
link on the mathematics behind the apportionment of
representatives:

http://www.thegreenpapers.com/Census00/ApportionMath.html

sam h
03-06-2004, 08:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
After a couple months of mostly fantastic (winning) press for Kerry and several more months of Bush-bashing by the democrats, Kerry should have a lead. Dole was beating Clinton. Mondale was beating Reagan. Yet, Kerry can't move ahead of Bush?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you've got your facts wrong. This is from a recent NY Times story:

[ QUOTE ]
His approval rating is around 50 percent in the polls, Mr. Dowd said, just slightly below where Bill Clinton was at this point in the 1996 race, which he went on to win easily over Bob Dole.

The confident face put on by the Bush campaign belies some anxiety in the Republican ranks. Most national polls for the last several weeks have shown Mr. Kerry leading Mr. Bush in a head-to-head matchup. At this point in his 1996 re-election race, Mr. Clinton was well ahead of Mr. Dole, and he never gave up the lead. President Ronald Reagan had established a double-digit lead over Walter Mondale by this point in 1984.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Bush is still the favorite, but the Dems have to be very happy with where they stand right now given Bush's popularity the last two years. Kerry isn't in bad shape at all. The latest CBS nationwide poll has him leading 50% to 42%. Sure, Bush hasn't really gone on the offensive yet and Kerry has been able to take advantage of the attention surrounding the primaries. But given where things stood last summer, overall there has been a very positive turn of events for the Dems in the last six months.

TimTimSalabim
03-06-2004, 10:30 PM
What I find most interesting is that California gained only one seat in 2000, whereas they gained 7 in 1990. Growth must have slowed a lot.