PDA

View Full Version : Trapped.....arg

01-31-2002, 01:41 PM
Hello everyone,

I played this the other night and basically feel like I let myself get trapped for an extra bet, Maybe I just played it horribly.

This is a typical game, the raiser changes gears well.

I have AJd and limp after utg and another. Folded to late middle who raises then all fold including S and BB. Limpers call.

Flop comes A6J rainbow.

Checked to our guy he bets and I'm the only caller.

turn is K[A6J] no flush draw

I plan on check folding here but he checks it through. So I get that small glimpse of hope without actually thinking about it.

river is a blank and I check crying call.

I lose to his pocket AA.

I am able to see after thinking about the hand that really the chance that he is holding AQ or QQ is quite small compared to everything else that is beating me. The turn check kept me involved and I congratulated him on a great play.

Let me know what you think about this one,

Allan

01-31-2002, 07:07 PM
It's pretty tough to play when someone does this to you, isn't it?

01-31-2002, 07:51 PM
8 AQ's

6 QQ's

6 AK's

3 KK's

1AA

1JJ

3 66

How can you think that it's likely that you're beat?

01-31-2002, 07:52 PM
I'm not sure if I'm understanding this correctly. You didn't raise your AJs first in? You didn't pound your two pair on the flop? You were willing to fold your two pair for one bet on the turn?

If you KNEW this guy had AA, you should have folded pre-flop. If not, you should have lost a lot more on this hand. I know I would have.

01-31-2002, 08:40 PM
Why did you check your top two on the flop? Either bet out or check-raise. What's with the check-check on the turn? Did he put you on QT (unlikely)? He should have charged you a BB to see the river. Did you really think about folding -- seems awfully weak-tight to me. Then, he bets the river when the board has not changed. Huh ??

I think you BOTH played this hand badly.

01-31-2002, 08:44 PM
there's passive play and then there's passive

you got the flop ya wanted

when i saw that ya checked, i was fully ready to read "then i reraised.." what are ya waitin for?

if he re raises, then start thinkin set. the preflop play was debateable a raise preflop, followed by a reraise by him may have better helped define his hand.

i agree with dan, i wouldve lost a little more. but i wouldve found out a little earlier.

this is kinda like hands that people play where they play Ax....then flop A A x and dont bet it. they say " wasnt sure about my kicker.." well why even play if the flop hits ya hard, just to check it down? im yet to understand this one...

just some ideas...

b

01-31-2002, 08:46 PM

02-01-2002, 01:15 AM
hello everyone,

Thanks for the responses so far, I left out some info.

I was planning on check raising the turn. Do you think it is better to bet/checkraise the flop to see where I stand? Is check calling with the intention of check raising the turn not a good play of this hand?

Allan

02-01-2002, 05:18 AM
Hi Allan,

I agree, you played this horribly, but you have some consolation, your opponent played it worse, in fact I think he is the one who should be losing sleep over this.

You flopped top two, and you never put in a bet until the river. Flopping top two is about as good a flop as you can expect for this hand. Its unfortunate, that you ran into top set, but I think that if you have top two, and the board doesn't get scary, you have to make a play at the pot at some point.

Your opponent flopped top set, and then checked the turn, giving you a free draw if you had AQ or AT. Its true that he induced you into betting on the river, but you had a big hand, and probably should have bet before then. If he bets the turn, and you checkraise, (I hope you were going to do that, instead of folding as you indicated, although I would have liked it better on the flop when you can get the field to call on the installment plan and build a fairly sizeable pot) he calls, then you lead the river and he raises, you lose four big bets. This way you lost two, thats got to be the minimum, the same as if you had check called all the way. He was clever, but he probably cost himself two big bets and he gave you infinite odds if you held a queen or a ten. I think you should be happy, because you probably won two big bets on this hand because your opponent didn't charge you enough for second place.

Good luck,

Bob T.

02-03-2002, 10:08 PM
I Think a check-raise flop, or bet flop and call it down to a raise was in order.

BUT, just a little like a hand I was in last nite.

I'm in cutoff with 2 EP limpers and raise it with AQs. Flop came AKQ rainbow and EP limper bets out and I raise. He 3 bets and I think I'm seriously beat and reluctantly call him down. He knows my play to be tight but tricky. He also knows I can fold a med quality hand.

Long story short he limped with AKo and won it. I barely called the river as I figured he knew I had a hand to be there and he was still betting.

There are times when we know. I think this was one fo those times when our hero knew. Now if I can just muck it when my hand is this strong and I think I'm "in the know".

02-03-2002, 10:15 PM
I would have played this hand more agressively and at least dialed 411. I find information bets make me money. Profit in bets saved when I lay it down after they answer my 411 bet.