PDA

View Full Version : AA 10-20;

Jack Oscar
02-23-2004, 10:42 PM
Fairly loose passive game,
Player to my right raises UTG +2, I raise with AA.
Now he is a straight ABC player - and has been getting some tough beats, e.g. has lost twice with KK against gut shot straights. His raise means a premium holding
TT or better, AK, AKs or AQ or maybe KQs that is about it.

All fold including blinds.

Flop comes K 8 4 rainbow.
Check bet, call.

Turn is a queen completing the rainbow.

I know he might have KK or QQ, but I auto bet my over pair.
He checkraises.
I know he has KK or QQ, just know it but talk myself into a call thinking he might have AK, AA or KQs (which I would 8 outs against).
I call river is a rag. He bets and I call.

My question is does anyone play this hand any different.
Do you check behind on the turn?
DO you muck to the check raise, muck on the river.

results in white.
<font color="white">he showed KK for the nuts <font color="white"> </font> </font>

Hat Trick
02-23-2004, 11:33 PM
Given your read on him I think checking through on the turn may be a good move. If you did not think so highly of his pre-flop bet I would not say this but given that you have 2 of the aces I think your call on KK, QQ or KQ is a good one. You still need to check/call the river (unless you have a REALLY strong feeling about his hand) but you do save one BB this way. It would be a monster laydown on the river when he bet but it would haunt you if you did not see his hand.

j.k.
02-24-2004, 12:23 AM
Sounds like you had a solid read...trust it. I've been in identical situations and know how easy it is to second guess yourself, but if he's flashig a neon sign you might as well heed it.

Zele
02-24-2004, 05:58 PM
Unless you are positive about your read, call the checkraise and the river. The trouble with folding here is that it sets you up for shots being taken at you all night, at least in the typical 10-20 game where most players will not make this fold. Your EV may be slightly negative with the fold (unless of course you are totally sure, in which case dump it,) but it could save you trouble in the future if your opponents are observant.

I'm not saying never fold a legitimate hand to a turn raise, just that you should be very sure of the value of the fold when you do.