PDA

View Full Version : Posting/Humor

thomastem
02-23-2004, 04:27 PM
I want to get a feeling of the sentiment out there. Most of my posts probably are on the fringe of the forums topic and a few are just serious posts or replies. I never have a problem in person but on the 2+2 forums I am catching slack.

What I want to know is if most people want me to stop posting or if this is a person getting a few others to take up his crusade.

If the majority of you find my humor to be offensive or "a waste of time" I will sober up my posts and replies and not mention critters or post jokes or reply with any sarcasm.

If people aren't enjoying it I won't continue to spend time on creating the silliness.

Please reply your wishes.

OrangeHeat
02-23-2004, 04:37 PM
I like the critters.

Orange

MattHatter
02-23-2004, 04:37 PM
IMO

I hardly notice you.

And when I do.. It's usually funny.

I would say until the mod threatens you.... let em b*tch and moan all they want.

If the mod says something, then there probably is a problem.

Matt

PS: If you are sarcastic.. it follows logically that this will create friction with people whom it targets. What did you expect? Not everyone tolerates sarcasm equally.

Gamblor
02-23-2004, 04:45 PM
I agree with everything you say, especially concerning politics. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jek187
02-23-2004, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but on the 2+2 forums I am catching slack.

[/ QUOTE ]

You aren't truly catching slack until you get a troll to name himself after you. That's when you know you've made the big time.

To answer your question, I've always enjoyed your posts, and would be rather upset if you were banned.

morgant
02-23-2004, 04:49 PM
i think you are hysterical, but this always asking if you are doing the right thing, are you being received well..blah blah is getting old and i would imagine very patronizing to those who dont like you. why don't you just keep on keepin on????

thomastem
02-23-2004, 04:52 PM
lol Gamblor. I can take sarcasm. I make sure I never dish out more than I can take. As for sarcasm I never direct sarcasm at an individual unless they have done so to someone or are trying to intimidate a newbie and chase them away. The one exception is if they cried to the mod because critters are obscene.

Gamblor
02-23-2004, 04:56 PM
The one exception is if they cried to the mod because critters are obscene.

Care to give us an example? /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Say, starts with "H" and rhymes with Nuts?

namknils
02-23-2004, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i think you are hysterical, but this always asking if you are doing the right thing, are you being received well..blah blah is getting old and i would imagine very patronizing to those who dont like you. why don't you just keep on keepin on????

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%. I always read your posts and like them, but I'm getting very sick of your disclaimers at the beginning/end of every post. Just say what you will, it seems like you are trying to stick it to the people that don't like you by putting disclaimers on everything.

thomastem
02-23-2004, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but on the 2+2 forums I am catching slack.

[/ QUOTE ]

You aren't truly catching slack until you get a troll to name himself after you. That's when you know you've made the big time.

To answer your question, I've always enjoyed your posts, and would be rather upset if you were banned.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jek,
No one is threatening to ban me that was one person and water under the bridge. A poster with over 4 K posts on News/Views replied to one of my posts today and I've had a few in the past. I'm trying to figure if most enjoy some silly brevity or if most find it a pain in the donkey.

thomastem
02-23-2004, 05:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%. I always read your posts and like them, but I'm getting very sick of your disclaimers at the beginning/end of every post. Just say what you will, it seems like you are trying to stick it to the people that don't like you by putting disclaimers on everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. Perhaps I'm listening too much to critics. Also there was no disclaimer on the recent post to piss anyone off. Sorry I bothered you guys on this I will just ignore the intolerant and not bother the zoo with this.

Oski
02-23-2004, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm trying to figure if most enjoy some silly brevity or if most find it a pain in the donkey.

[/ QUOTE ]

- levity. I let it slide the first few times, but it hurts my eyes.

ZeeJustin
02-23-2004, 05:14 PM
I enjoy your posts.

Sheriff Fatman
02-23-2004, 05:24 PM
Keep em coming TT.

ohkanada
02-23-2004, 05:28 PM
Why not keep your silly useless posts out of the New/Views forum? Feel free to litter up the Zoo. This is the Zoo!

Ken Poklitar

Gamblor
02-23-2004, 05:31 PM
I'm trying to figure if most enjoy some silly brevity or if most find it a pain in the donkey

Brevity = brief, i.e. short.
Levity = humour

...for next time.

Hiding
02-23-2004, 05:34 PM
Critters are tasty when dipped in milk........

Ulysses
02-23-2004, 05:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A poster with over 4 K posts on News/Views replied to one of my posts today and I've had a few in the past. I'm trying to figure if most enjoy some silly brevity or if most find it a pain in the donkey.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here, BTW, is what the poster w/ over 4k posts PM'd to thomastem:

I love humor and sarcasm. That should be clear from many of my posts. There's just a huge difference between humor in posts and posting complete nonsense posts on a forum that exists for an intended purpose. There's the Zoo and OT forums where all random topics are posted about and appreciated. NV&G exists for poker/gambling-related news/discussion and there have been multiple posts explaining that. You're obviously smart enough to grasp that fact, yet choose to ignore it and continually post random OT nonsense there. It sure seems like someone just craving any kind of attention. That's not offensive. Just silly and annoying.

thomastem
02-23-2004, 05:51 PM
Ulysses,
I'm not going to copy my PM'd response. I mentioned the 4K posts out of respect to a poster that has been around and contributed quite a bit to 2+2 rather than some stranger complaining.

I don't need attention, I get plenty from my wife and 4 children (not to mention critters). It is my style personality to add humor and gravity (or is it cavities) to the forums.

May I suggest that if you find my posts silly or wanting of attention to stop torturing yourself and just don't click on them.

-Critter Dude

PS Who took my dictionary and erased my spell check off my pc?

namknils
02-23-2004, 05:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Good point. Perhaps I'm listening too much to critics. Also there was no disclaimer on the recent post to piss anyone off. Sorry I bothered you guys on this I will just ignore the intolerant and not bother the zoo with this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you may have gotten me wrong. You can add me to the list of people who enjoy your posts. I just would rather read a regular post from you, then sift thru the parts where you need to cover your ass.

As for the NV&G forum, I guess they don't appreciate it. But there have been remarks to various people about not posting OT in that forum, I don't think anyone is holding a grudge specifically against you.

thomastem
02-23-2004, 06:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you may have gotten me wrong. You can add me to the list of people who enjoy your posts. I just would rather read a regular post from you, then sift thru the parts where you need to cover your ass.

As for the NV&G forum, I guess they don't appreciate it. But there have been remarks to various people about not posting OT in that forum, I don't think anyone is holding a grudge specifically against you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I took it that way and once mentioned I can see how my protecting posts are a pain. Getting criticized got me wondering whether people enjoy the cavity or just put up with it. Forget I asked, had I taken a little time I would have known the answer. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Now about posting on news/views. It is my belief that poker is an entertainment. If not fun fish would stop coming and sharks would starve. I have fun and tell jokes at the table, matter of fact I do it in my everyday life.
Correct me if I'm wrong but a belief is a view is it not? Why should I stop posting on News/Views?

namknils
02-23-2004, 06:15 PM
Well, I've never minded your posts on News/Views. I suggest only stopping there because they don't like it, and it may be accepted better in other forums. I agree with your point about "news". I really wanted to post about Greg Maddux last week, which is clearly "news", but didn't due to the sure to come flaming. OT forum is basically just Politics, and anything but gets lost in there very quickly. So what to do? I don't know.

DrPhysic
02-23-2004, 06:42 PM
I’m still trying to figure out if the malaprop was literary malicious misguidance or just a malfeasance intended as malarkey. I suspect it was more intentional verbal malpractice by our misguided merry, maladjusted, maligned, mental maladroit, than a mere malposition of letters without malice aforethought. Anyway, he needs to forget any malady created by misguided malcontent mental midgets.

And anytime there is no place for humor on NV&G or Zoo, he is welcome to herd his herd over to 1 Table Tournament Forum.

Doc

Ulysses
02-23-2004, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not going to copy my PM'd response.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool. Note that I didn't and wouldn't post anything you PM'd me privately here. I think that's inappropriate. But since you did reference my "complaint" I figured I should give some context re: my thoughts on this.

[ QUOTE ]
I mentioned the 4K posts out of respect to a poster that has been around and contributed quite a bit to 2+2 rather than some stranger complaining.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I appreciate that and didn't know how exactly you meant it.

[ QUOTE ]
May I suggest that if you find my posts silly or wanting of attention to stop torturing yourself and just don't click on them.

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't torture me. And I find your posts here in the Zoo to often be harmless and humorous. But you did post numerous OT threads in the NV&G forum right after a discussion regarding appropriate posts for that forum. I finally responded to one of your posts because, while it's easy for someone to just ignore your posts, if multiple users were to do the same thing, it would make the forum much less worthwhile. All you have to do is go to RGP to see what happens when lots of people continually post off-topic material.

Ulysses
02-23-2004, 06:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. And there has just been a thread specifically discussing what that forum is designed for.

Ulysses
02-23-2004, 07:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I really wanted to post about Greg Maddux last week, which is clearly "news", but didn't due to the sure to come flaming. OT forum is basically just Politics, and anything but gets lost in there very quickly. So what to do? I don't know.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a Poker/Gambling forum. The NV&G forum is for poker/gambling topics. If you have a sports-betting related discussion about Greg Maddux, it would fit in well on the Other Gambling forum, where people discuss betting sports.

But if you just want to have a discussion here about Greg Maddux, there's a forum for that as well. Other Topics. If you think there should be an Other Topic->Sports, Other Topics->Politics, etc. you should go ahead and post that as well - many will agree w/ you and perhaps they'll go ahead and create those.

But, just as Books & Software is a forum for discussion of poker/gambling related books/software, NV&G is a forum for discussion of poker/gambling related NV&G. If you want to write about a good general interest book, Other Topics is the place for that. Same thing for general interest news, views, and gossip. Simple.

Cosimo
02-23-2004, 08:20 PM
Hurm.

1) I enjoy your posts and sense of humor; I think bringing levity into the forums is +EV.

2) One off-topic poster encourages others to do the same. Even if the first is tolerated due to insights and other contributions, the other posters might not be. The Zoo is often off-topic; it seems like the most "internet-y" of the forums here. If the NVG community likes to keep that forum on-topic, then I think all should respect those wishes.

So, continue with the posts, but if the NVG crowd says they're not welcome there, then there are other forums (like OT and the zoo) which will be glad to take up the slack.

thomastem
02-23-2004, 08:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hurm.

1) I enjoy your posts and sense of humor; I think bringing levity into the forums is +EV.

2) One off-topic poster encourages others to do the same. Even if the first is tolerated due to insights and other contributions, the other posters might not be. The Zoo is often off-topic; it seems like the most "internet-y" of the forums here. If the NVG community likes to keep that forum on-topic, then I think all should respect those wishes.

So, continue with the posts, but if the NVG crowd says they're not welcome there, then there are other forums (like OT and the zoo) which will be glad to take up the slack.

[/ QUOTE ]

My post today in News/Views was on topic imo

Al_Capone_Junior
02-23-2004, 08:38 PM
First off Tommy boy, your momma's so fat...

OK OK seriously...

Tho you and me have be-flamed each other before...

Don't stop posting.

tho i have in the past been a smidge upset with you, I have never ever once suggested even to myself that you should stop posting.

Even if you post on the SPAM forum*.

I try to put some humor into my posts. If there are some who can't understand / appreciate it... SCREW THEM, they just have corncobs up their butts (i.e. corncob syndrome). Your posts (mostly /images/graemlins/grin.gif) have some intrinsic value, despite a small group of critics (including occasionally me /images/graemlins/grin.gif). Hell, I have plenty of moronic idiot critics myself! They need to get the corncobs out tho.

al

* had to take the shot people /images/graemlins/grin.gif, after all I AM the most hated (infamous?) poster on the inet forum, the infamous Al Capone Junior, but I was the winner of the KOTZ pot limit, so I can afford to take shots at my leisure! I have extra cash to burn! /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Myrtle
02-23-2004, 09:37 PM
Uh....Al..............

Blow it out ur arse!!!

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I enjoy both of U sick bastards....

Al_Capone_Junior
02-23-2004, 09:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Blow it out ur arse!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I love it!

al

goodguy_1
02-23-2004, 10:53 PM
thom:
this is a public forum ..how you use it is up to you.Nobody has to read anything any of us say..they can easily just move on tho the next poster ...so many posts so little time.

Have fun with it and dont take any of this chit too seriously if you do then you or anyone else is spending too much time on here.
I have never been offended by any of your posts..and remember having a good laugh or 2 with you in a few Zoo tournies last year...so if someones giving you chit so what!You seem to be having a good time..keep on posting if its fun for you.This and almost every other forum get way too serious...its nice to see posts without any personal agenda(like oh I'm so great,I play so high blaha blah..must of us do it)..but now the forum has gotten way too BIG in the last 2 years that this forum is stuck with the same old lame questions and boasts from new and old players alike..Any bit of fresh air is welcome!I'm not saying its not good to hear about success from longtime Zoo'ers..it always is nor digging deep into any real games issues but the tone has become more serious and competitive over last 1-2 years..much different than it was 18 months ago..I guess it had to happen..online poker crawled out of infancy last year..and it will not return to less serious carefree mood of past years..sigh

Dont stop posting screw the pseudo intelligencia..phuck em ..Many of these types are the posters that posteur must..dont sweat that stuff..if they cant take a little diversion and fun and just skip a post or two...too bad for them.There's a breed of people on here..wherever everything's gotta be just right:your grammar,your punctuation,the limits you play blah blah.very serious politically correct mindset .Its like every high school valedictorian got a whiff of poker and ran this place over....fock em.

You can play and still make money and enjoy this great game and NOT post on this fuugin forum or any other forum...this forum is supposed to be fun and informative nothing more..remember this is cyberspace..

I hope you continue to post and enjoy yourself.

Lee

morgant
02-24-2004, 12:50 AM
Its like every high school valedictorian got a whiff of poker and ran this place over....fock em.

lol, wish we still had sigs!

ThePinkBunny
02-24-2004, 12:57 AM
The humorous posts are what make this forum worth reading.

namknils
02-24-2004, 01:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The humorous posts are what make this forum worth reading.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course there are some decent posts about poker too. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

BBill
02-24-2004, 01:04 AM
My extra-ordinary sense of levity told me that it likes the critters.

Zeno
02-24-2004, 01:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I really wanted to post about Greg Maddux last week, which is clearly "news", but didn't due to the sure to come flaming. OT forum is basically just Politics, and anything but gets lost in there very quickly. So what to do? I don't know.

[/ QUOTE ]

namknils,

I suggest that you post about baseball on the other topics forum. Many regular (and many not so regular) posters are baseball fans and some are very knowledgeable about the game and provide great insight. In fact, some very long and interesting threads have been generated in the Other Topics forum about various aspects of baseball, the players, trades, the Hall of Fame etc. It is true that politics sometimes dominants the threads, which is unfortunate, but many other things are also discussed. Try it out - you would be welcome. And the ‘baseball talk’ will pick up with spring training beginning etc.

-Zeno

Vehn
02-24-2004, 02:11 AM
I find most of your posts woefully unfunny and otherwise devoid of content. You have been on my personal bernielist for some time - i.e. the posters who if I see post in a thread, I'll just *blip* right over. Your personal grudge against a few posters is annoying, and I resent taking the 3 seconds to read the PM you sent me trying to back you against Hutz or something, I didn't really catch it as I bernied it. I thought you were harmless so I never really bothered trolling you like Al et al. Plus my resources are limited, ya know. OK?

namknils
02-24-2004, 02:15 AM
Hey Zeno, thanks for the invite. I'll make my way over there.

-nam

Drunk Bob
02-24-2004, 03:18 AM
and flour.

Stagemusic
02-24-2004, 07:33 AM
Although I have nothing personal against Thomas or his posts as I find them marginally humorous at best, I will say that him coming to this Forum on literally a monthly basis with "They are Persecuting Me On..." posts tiresome to say the least. Here is all I will say on the matter. I have no doubt that TT will continue to post OT material on any thread he chooses. Then when called down for it he will run back to the Zoo and look for sympathy and justification.

Thomas, frankly I don't want to hear it anymore. You are bright enough to know that the answer is going to be don't stop posting. Do you really need that reinforcement on monthly basis? Is this how you "feel the love"?

Your Off Topic posts are sometimes humorous and sometimes not...big deal. However, THESE posts are really getting annoying. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif