PDA

View Full Version : Bin Laden 'cornered' in Pakistan

adios
02-23-2004, 01:28 PM
We'll see how this develops. From aljazeera.net:

Bin Laden 'cornerned' in Pakistan (http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/2511918D-B77D-469F-A79C-03F3DA4F4800.htm)

Bin Ladin 'cornered' in Pakistan

Sunday 22 February 2004, 20:49 Makka Time, 17:49 GMT

US forces are engaged in intense efforts to capture bin Ladin

US and British special forces have cornered al-Qaida leader Usama bin Ladin in a mountainous area in northwest Pakistan, a British newspaper has reported.

Quoting "a US intelligence source", the Sunday Express said bin Ladin and "up to 50 fanatical henchmen" were inside an area 16km wide and deep "north of the town of Khanozai and the city of Quetta".

"He is boxed in," the unidentified source was quoted by the tabloid as saying, adding US special forces were "absolutely confident" he could not escape.

According to the source, bin Ladin moved into the area, "in the desolate Toba Kakar mountains", about one month ago from another area 240km to the south, the Sunday Express said.

In Washington, a Defence Department spokesman declined to comment on the report.

Taliban leader Mullah Muhammad Umar is believed to be with bin Ladin, according to the report.

The area is under surveillance from a geostationary spy satellite while US and British special forces await orders to move in, the newspaper said.

Closing in

TheTaliban leader is believed to
be hiding along with bin Ladin

On Thursday, General Richard Meyers, chairman of the US joint chiefs of staff, said US forces were engaged in "intense" efforts to capture bin Ladin, but held back from saying where he might be hiding.

"There are areas where we think it is most likely he is, and they remain the same," said Meyers, who was speaking to reporters in Washington.

"They haven't changed in months," said Myers.

Asked whether al-Qaida leader was believed to be in Pakistan, the general replied: "Don't know that. We think in that border region somewhere. We don't know where it is precisely."

The Sunday Express said it was also told in London by "a senior Republican close to the White House and the Pentagon" this past week that bin Ladin had been located.

"They have found bin Ladin," the source - described as an "intimate" of the family of US President George Bush - was quoted as saying.

"They now know where he is within a manageable area which can be watched and controlled."

Clues found

The Sunday Express said bin Ladin's whereabouts had been discovered from "a combination of CIA paramilitaries and special forces, plus image analysis by geographers and soil experts".

"They studied the background in bin Ladin's last video and matched it to rocks in the Toba Kakar region," the newspaper said.

"A two-man special forces surveillance unit then infiltrated the area," it said, adding they picked up their first clues bin Ladin was in the area within a week.

"Other teams then slipped in," the Sunday Express quoted its source as saying.

"To avoid any alert, helicopters were not used."

A graphic published alongside the Sunday Express report has indicated the area in which bin Ladin is supposedly hiding is to the north of the Pakistani towns of Khanozai and Murgha.

George Rice
02-23-2004, 01:31 PM
It's too far from the election. I would have thought they'd wait until September to "find" him. A political blunder? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

adios
02-23-2004, 01:47 PM
A different slant than the one presented in the al-jazeera story not stating that he is 'cornered.'

U.S. Search of bin Laden 'Intensifies' (http://www.washtimes.com/national/20040223-012312-3087r.htm)

U.S. search for bin Laden intensifies

By Rowan Scarborough
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

The Pentagon is moving elements of a supersecret commando unit from Iraq to the Afghanistan theater to step up the hunt for Osama bin Laden.
A Defense Department official said there are two reasons for repositioning parts of Task Force 121: First, most high-value human targets in Iraq, including Saddam Hussein, have been caught or killed. Second, intelligence reports are increasing on the whereabouts of bin Laden, the terror leader behind the September 11 attacks.
"Iraq has become more of a policing problem than a hunt for high-value Iraqis," the defense official said. "Afghanistan is the place where 121 can do more."
Task forces typically change names when they move, so it is likely that the commando unit arriving in the Afghanistan-Pakistan region will take a new name.
Task Force 121 is a mix of Army Delta Force soldiers and Navy SEALs, transported on helicopters from the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment. The SEALs and soldiers are based at Joint Special Operations Command in Fort Bragg, N.C.
Delta-SEAL teams typically move into theater, practice missions and wait for military and CIA intelligence to provide the location of a target, such as Saddam.
The new task force to hunt bin Laden in the Afghanistan area likely will be led by a Navy SEAL who was toasted in Washington while working antiterrorism issues in the Bush administration. The Washington Times is withholding his name because of the secret nature of the operation.
Military sources said reports of bin Laden's movements are becoming more numerous as the fugitive Saudi, leader of the al Qaeda terrorist network, hides in the mountainous terrain straddling the Afghanistan-Pakistan border.
"They're getting better intelligence, and they've gotten better at fusing the intelligence," a second defense source said.
A CIA-military intelligence team conducted a similar operation in Iraq to catch Saddam. Officers made a schematic of family members and Ba'athist officials close to Saddam and questioned them on his whereabouts. The team hit pay dirt when a recently detained Iraqi revealed precise information on the ousted dictator's whereabouts on a farm south of Tikrit.
Task Force 121 joined a 4th Infantry Division unit Dec. 13 in raiding the farm and finding Saddam hidden in a hole.
The commando task force took Saddam to Tikrit in a Special Operations "Little Bird" helicopter before he was imprisoned in the Baghdad area.
Speculation that the United States is close to finding bin Laden heightened last month when military officers in Afghanistan predicted that the terror leader would be killed or captured by year's end.
"We have a variety of intelligence, and we're sure we're going to catch Osama bin Laden and [Taliban leader] Mullah [Mohammed] Omar this year," Army Lt. Col. Bryan Hilferty, spokesman for U.S. forces in Afghanistan, said in January. "We've learned lessons from Iraq, and we're getting improved intelligence from the Afghan people."
A few days earlier, Lt. Gen. David Barno, the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, told the BBC: "You can be assured that we're putting a renewed emphasis on closing this out and bringing these two individuals to justice, as well as the other senior leadership of that organization. They represent a threat to the entire world, and they need to be destroyed."
Bin Laden is thought to be in the lawless tribal areas along the Pakistan-Afghanistan border. Officials say U.S. troops do not cross into Pakistan, leaving the hunt on the ground for bin Laden to the CIA and the Pakistan army.
But specific intelligence on bin Laden's whereabouts might prompt the use of a Delta-SEAL task force to raid his Pakistan hide-out, officials say.
Gen. John Abizaid, chief of U.S. Central Command, recently praised Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf's willingness to send troops into unfriendly tribal areas, where bin Laden reportedly is popular.
"I talk to him frequently," Gen. Abizaid said of Gen. Musharraf. "I just visited him the other day. I saw him after one of two assassination attempts. He knows that al Qaeda is trying to kill him, and he absolutely, positively wants to get the problem under control.
"But there are difficulties that he has that are associated with working in the tribal areas that he has to work through on his own," Gen. Abizaid said.

George Rice
02-23-2004, 01:49 PM
By the way, that post is made in jest. I hope they nail him asap. And I think Bush wouldn't risk him getting away by playing games. Go get him Georgie!

George Rice
02-23-2004, 01:51 PM
I wish news organizations would hold off on stories like these. It only increases the liklihood the creep will get tipped off and maybe slither away.

ThaSaltCracka
02-23-2004, 05:42 PM
for some reason I fell optimistic mostly because Al Jazzera ran a story on it.

adios
02-23-2004, 05:59 PM
"for some reason I fell optimistic mostly because Al Jazzera ran a story on it."

I found that to be interesting as well. Too good to be true? I hope not.

Cyrus
02-23-2004, 06:18 PM
When they captured Saddam, nobody heard anything. This time we get a lot of "leaks" about Osama's whereabouts. It's either a mistake from the part of the hunters, which I can't believe, or they are smoking him out through the media, for some reason. We shall see.

ThaSaltCracka
02-23-2004, 06:31 PM
maybe they are trying to bait him to move? I would think it would be easier to capture him while he was en route rather than in some cave, where we would have to "smoke 'em out".

bigpooch
02-23-2004, 06:56 PM
Over/Under should be around September or October according
to tradesports.com. Anyone going to make money on this?
/images/graemlins/smile.gif

A very big spread on September 2004 contracts:

Bid/ Ask/ Last/ Vol
30.0 50.1 45.0 415

superleeds
02-23-2004, 07:08 PM
It gets job losses, outsourcing, the economy, WMD's, Iraqi elections, afganistan etc of the front pages. Good news if your a Republican I would suggest.

adios
02-23-2004, 07:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Good news if your a Republican I would suggest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good news if you're a Democrat I'd also suggest. Furthermore I'd suggest it's good news if you're a US citizen or a citizen of the world for that matter. Hopefully it trancends partisan politics and I think it does.

ThaSaltCracka
02-23-2004, 07:41 PM
here here!!!!
U.S.A!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Alger
02-23-2004, 09:58 PM
"The Pentagon is moving elements of a supersecret commando unit ...."

There are people who would believe this even if the Washington Times renamed itself The Bullshit News. If the various court opinions addressing the outer limits of press freedom, one hypothetical example of what it can't do is nearly ubiquitous: publish information about secret (much less supersecret) troop movements during wartime. I suppose when you're writing for an audience that can't smell straightforward -- indeed self-contradictory -- fabrication, you can safely rely on them not to notice that the real story is that "a Defense Department official" feloniously compromised national security. Either that or (1) the information isn't secret or even classified but has obtained the appropriate clearance for public dissemination, which means that the Pentagon is run by people willing to blow a chance at getting at bin Laden for a a smidgen of favorable PR, which means that another "bigger" story was ignored; or (2) almost certainly, the whole story is a lie. Corrupt journalism in a moonie paper? No way...

ThaSaltCracka
02-23-2004, 10:01 PM
I said this earlier, I think they are doing it make Bin Laden move, because I think it would be easier to catch him if he moves.

superleeds
02-24-2004, 11:27 AM
as long as its true

adios
02-24-2004, 12:43 PM
superleeds got my point but you didn't. My point is and was:

Hear, Hear for mankind /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

ThaSaltCracka
02-24-2004, 01:14 PM
I completely got yout point, I did the U.S.A. thing as a joke.

andyfox
02-25-2004, 04:14 PM
KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) - The U.S. military said Wednesday that a "renewed sense of urgency" is firing the search for Osama bin Laden, even as it dismissed reports that the fugitive al-Qaida leader had been located near the Afghan-Pakistan border.

Why the "renewed sense or urgency?" Senator Kerry's poll standings?

Wake up CALL
02-25-2004, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why the "renewed sense or urgency?" Senator Kerry's poll standings?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to think that is the case Andy. Anyone who is not concerned that Kerry might have a remote possibility at becoming the next President of the USA needs a checkup. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

andyfox
02-26-2004, 01:16 AM
Good line.

But of course Mr. Bush has a special concern about Mr. Kerry that the rest of us don't.