PDA

View Full Version : Do you lay them down after you realize?

Stagemusic
02-23-2004, 08:45 AM
That you have screwed this hand up on every street...

Poker Stars $20 1 table SNG. We are at bubble time with 4 left. 2 Large stacks who do not figure in the hand, yours truely with about T2500 and the terrorist who obviously does not understand that I should win every SNG I play in and refuses to knuckle under to my superior skill /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Blinds are at 100/200 no ante yet. I am on the BB with QQ, two larger stacks fold and SB (terrorist) raises to make it 600 to go. I call (first mistake I think) and flop comes 2,T,5 suits not a factor, which I am pretty happy about. Terrorist checks, I bet T600 (second mistake) which is about 2/3's of his stack at that point. He calls. Turn comes out 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif and for some reason I just know that the Terrorist has an A3. Sure enough, he bets all in for the additional T400 or so.

Given that I should have pushed them all in the middle after the great flop, or even pre flop, Do you make the call now and really put yourself on the short stack? Or do you lay them down and continue playing with your T1200 which might allow you to survive? With the blinds at 100/200 is there that great a difference between T800 and T1200? I know what I did, I pushed them in because if he didn't have the hand I put him on, I was going to make him pay for the priveledge of seeing that river card (maybe not a mistake).

On a funny side note. The river card was another A /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

PrayingMantis
02-23-2004, 08:57 AM
Hey Stage,

I definitely push PF. If by any cance I hit wrong button and call, then I push on the flop. If again I somehow call, I push or call all-in turn, although on each street the chances you are beaten are bigger.

And if SB is a one to raise to 600 with A3, with a stack of (if I understand right) T1600, then pushing PF is even more a must.

Only my opinion,

PrayingMantis

Stoneii
02-23-2004, 09:12 AM
It's completely humbling when you set out to milk someone and the poker gods laugh at you for the attempt.

I might try the slow call on AA if he's the only player I'm against but QQ runs into and A on flop soooooooooo many times in my limited experience that I just don't know where I stand (i.e. did he raise me with any 2 to steal or Ax in which case I'm in trouble).

If he raises me from SB and I've got QQ - all my chips are going in and then I don't have to worry about it any more. I'm happy to take the extra he raised if he lays down and put another one down to suckout if he catches a hand if he calls.

stoneii

Stagemusic
02-23-2004, 09:57 AM
Yup, I agree with both Mantis and Stone here. I screwed this one up from the start. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Given that, what about at the end? Lay them down or keep on truckin' ?

Stoneii
02-23-2004, 10:23 AM
It's probably wrong but for nothing else than to see what he raised preflop with, I'd call. I've already stuck 1200 in so I'd likely have a peek for another 400 given your stack.

kerssens
02-23-2004, 06:04 PM
I'd definately call...only 400 more and no guarantee that he does have A3

M.B.E.
02-24-2004, 02:02 AM
Stagemusic, I don't quite understand how you knew you were against A3 even before your opponent bet the turn. I could never have that good a read on an opponent. Even if you knew he flopped a gutshot bicycle draw, A4 is slightly more likely than A3.

Anyway if you really were 85% certain (or more) that your opponent turned a straight, then fold. If you were only 80% certain (or less), then call.

Stagemusic
02-24-2004, 08:43 AM
"Knew" is just a metaphorical term. I, of course, did not "know" what he had. I just realized that I had screwed the hand up and that the hand had gotten away from me. I did figure him for an Ax as he had been pretty much playing any A any position the whole tourney. Taken literally, I can understand your question.

Prickly Pete
02-24-2004, 04:47 PM
This is an automatic call for me. And the fact that he bet the turn allin pretty much tells me he doesn't have A3.

That A on the river can't be good though. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif