PDA

View Full Version : Who was that guy anyway?

02-07-2002, 11:52 PM
Mid-September, 2001. 20-40 Hold'em at the Mirage. Been playing for a few hours and the table is starting to get short handed, maybe 5-6 players left and I tangle with a guy in the #7 steat, I think. As best as I can recall the hand, all fold to me on the button and I just call with A5o. SB calls and #7 seat, hereafter called the BB, checks. Flop comes 7, A, 7. I check, SB check, BB Bets likes he has 3 or 4 or maybe even 5 Sevens. I raise. SB mucks. BB does a fast thumb lift of his cards - quickly decides that he in fact has no sevens at all and mucks. I rake in a rather insignificant pot.

I flash the Ace when mucking and get a response from the BB - "yeah, you had the best hand". I don't care about what he said - but that fact that I got him to say something was useful. Anyway, earlier in the session this same player was yapping into his cell phone and stated with sheepish pride that " I'm running kind of bad - down about four hundred"....yada, yada, yada. I thought that was a bit strange to announce to the rest of the table. Is this guy a bad player? Soon after this hand the game just evaporated, everyone got up and left almost by unsaid mutual consent. We all decided we could not win much money off each other I think. I went over to cash in my chips and the BB player grabbed his cell phone and rack and ambled over to the 7-card stud game that had been sputtering along for days - the desperate hours were now upon him.

I have seen and played against this same guy before at the Mirage and keep wondering who he is. He always has the same damn clothes on. Brown pants and faded green shirt - or is that brown shirt and faded green pants? It is all so very confusing - he always looks the same - like he hasn't won a pot in 3 years. It this just a ploy on his part? Does he play there often? I only visit Las Vegas a few times a year but he always seems to be hanging around when I visit. Doesn't he have anything better to do? Has anyone played against this guy before? Is he any good at what he does? He appears to be a pro but by his looks he can't be making very much money. I thought that the gossip and news column would be the best place to find out who this guy might be. Thanks in advance for any infomation that anyone can provide.

Zeno from Greenland.

02-08-2002, 09:47 AM
its a paradox :-)

Pat

02-08-2002, 11:01 PM
Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary, paradox - definitons; 2 a: a statement that is seemingly contradictory or opposed to common sense and yet is perhaps true, and; 3: something (as a person, condition, or act) with seemingly contradictory qualities or phases.

Interesting. I'm a little less confused. Thanks for the response Pat.

Zeno

02-08-2002, 11:15 PM
don't you know zeno's paradox????

02-09-2002, 01:45 AM
Which one? The Achilles- A race between a fast runner and the slow guy. The fast guy can never catch up. The arrow - is it in motion or at rest. The race-course or stadium dichotomy - how does the runner ever finish the race. I think there are a few more but can't remember them at the moment. All the above paradoxes of motion are from Zeno of Elea.

Now Zeno of Citium is considered the founder of the Hellenistic school of Stoic Philosophy.

And Stoicism is useful in Poker.

So which Zeno posts on this forum? I don't know, maybe its a Paradox - and it may be that Pat knows.

- Zeno from Greenland

02-09-2002, 09:54 AM
i stand corrected and will take my seat teacher..lol..gl

02-11-2002, 09:49 AM
just a reference to zeno's paradox.

Pat