PDA

View Full Version : Heads Up on the Flop with Pocket Aces -- How Do I Proceed?

colgin
02-23-2004, 01:49 AM
Ultimate Bet $2/4. I am UTG+2 with A /images/graemlins/spade.gifA /images/graemlins/club.gif.

I open raise, folded to MP who three-bets, folded back to me and I just call.

Flop: 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I check, MP bets and I call.

Turn: 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif [7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif]

I bet, MP calls.

River: 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif[8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif]

I bet and MP calls.

Any comments are appreciated.

Colgin

BugsBunny
02-23-2004, 02:04 AM
With the smoothcall of the reraise preflop, and the check call on the flop, I would have gone for a c/r on the turn and then led the river. Otherwise what's the purpose of smoothcalling preflop and flop?

The other option is to cap preflop, then lead out on the flop. If he raises the flop you can think about trying to c/r the turn (although he may just be trying for a free card - so you might still be better off betting out - I'll play it both ways at times). If he just calls the flop bet out on the turn and hope that he raises you. If he folds so be it.

You can even try for a c/r on the turn in this second scenario as well. Play it like an AK that missed and try to induce him to bet. Either way I lead out on the river, don't want to risk it getting checked through there.

Klepto488
02-23-2004, 02:15 AM
Sounds like he had a broken flush. I would have re-raised after the flop for information instead of calling. If he re-raised you back then you might of had to think that he made trips. Otherwise good play. Any pot won is a success

Joe Tall
02-23-2004, 10:11 AM
Do you think you can fit in a check-raise on the turn? If MP will likely bet, surely do.

Peace,
Joe Tall

colgin
02-23-2004, 10:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you think you can fit in a check-raise on the turn? If MP will likely bet, surely do.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my intention and basically I chickened out as I became worried that if MP had AK he might check it through and take a free card here having bet once with me calling. On the other hand, even if he had AK he might well fire another shot at the pot anyway.

I posted this, of course, because I was not happy with the way I played the hand. If I did not have enough confidence to try to C/R the turn then it raised questions as to how I should have played the hand the whole way through. I put MP on either a high pocket pair or AK. If people think that pre-flop and flop are fine as long as you go for the C/R every time then I have my answer. I am interested in hearing whether there are different reasonable ways to play this hand out here.

By the way, MP had pocket Tens and MHIG.

Joe Tall
02-23-2004, 10:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If people think that pre-flop and flop are fine as long as you go for the C/R every time then I have my answer

[/ QUOTE ]

You know the answer is going to be player dependant.

[ QUOTE ]
even if he had AK he might well fire another shot at the pot anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

With the board pairing many players will fire again and you can get in your check-raise.

Peace,
Joe Tall

37offsuit
02-23-2004, 10:47 AM
You showed weakness preflop by not capping so probably, he put you on AK, AQ or some medium pair like 77-99. If you check raise this flop, he's going to put you on the flopped set and I don't think he chases you down. I know head to head, I'd fold to the check raise. Pot isn't big enough to worry about.

So you continue showing weakness by check calling. So maybe he then narrows you down to AQ, AK or 99.

In a live game, I throw in a little acting on the turn by checking as I prepare to toss my cards into the muck with his anticipated bet. It's a subtle thing, eyes down on the cards and taking them just off the table. That's usually good to ensure a bet from someone who was likely to bet anyway. He's not gonna want to check and give you a free card when you're about to fold.

Then I'd set the cards back down, think for a moment while looking at him. I might even say low, but loud enough for him to hear, "you're bluffing" and then raise, really try to work him over for a 3 bet.

On the internet you don't have all these tools, so I'd have checked out quick as my ISP would process on the turn, then hesitate a moment with the c/r. Then bet out the river. He's still going to call you down with his holding, but he'll probably know he's beat. He'll be thinking JJ when you "flip up" AA.