PDA

View Full Version : Hacker Mafia article in FT, Drudge report...

Frozen
02-22-2004, 10:26 PM
http://search.ft.com/search/article.html?id=040222003445

Losing all
02-22-2004, 10:37 PM
I made a joke about party sending death squads after this scum a week or so ago. Seriously though, It sounds like some elements of the Russian mob are now expert hackers. maybe party should contact other elements of the mob that are experts in other areas to deal (slowly) with this problem. If law enforcement isn't an option, you gotta deal with it somehow. It's just good business..

This is costing a lot of people a lot of money, and really starting to piss me off.

astroglide
02-22-2004, 11:42 PM
if you feed a hungry dog he'll only come back for more. paying off these people is not the solution, as there will always be more of them.

BradleyT
02-22-2004, 11:52 PM
Man the mafia always gets the best programmers.

astroglide
02-22-2004, 11:53 PM
the ability to construct a DoS attack takes no programming knowledge whatsoever. it is not difficult.

SoBeDude
02-23-2004, 12:43 AM
a simple DOS attack is simple to stop. you just block the addy its coming from.

a strong multi-sourse DOS attack is another matter to stop. You can be sure the types the bookmakers and PArty have been experiencing are of the advanced, multiple-source type.

-Scott

astroglide
02-23-2004, 12:48 AM
again, this is a common misconception. if you ignore the packets, they still arrive, and still do 'damage' in terms of network utilization. they don't have to get answered. that is not the point. a firewall will not stop them. multi-source DoS attacks are easy to stage and execute.

Terry
02-23-2004, 02:36 AM
Yes, they should pay. Downtime costs them thousands of dollars per minute.

They should also be doing some serious searching for connections to some Russian “tough guys” – gambling is a dirty business.

csuf_gambler
02-23-2004, 02:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, they should pay. Downtime costs them thousands of dollars per minute.

[/ QUOTE ]

We cannot negotiate with terrorists

Cyndie
02-23-2004, 03:13 AM
ARe you suggesting they pay one time, and go after the terrorists, or are you suggesting that it is just a cost of doing business?

Terry
02-23-2004, 04:05 AM
Both.

The idea that “We cannot negotiate with terrorists” is naive and simplistic.

There are times when we must negotiate ... until we can, excuse my bluntness, destroy the terrorists. Suicide is not painless, it is pointless.

JustPlayingSmart
02-23-2004, 05:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Man the mafia always gets the best programmers.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're dinner the night before my college's natural science career fair was quite good. Although every participant had to be invited to attend, the food was great, and there were certain, shall we say, "extras" thrown in that were very unfamiliar to computer science students. I suspect this is why they do so well in recruiting.

Sheriff Fatman
02-23-2004, 08:57 AM
Surely Party's obvious response it to agree to the payment in principle and then ask the hackers to contact Customer Services to finalise the details. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

B Dids
02-23-2004, 10:22 AM
Do we have any idea that Party's actually getting hit by these attacks. So far all the stories have focues on online-bookmaking.

Party could just have server problems. Sucks, but just like in poker- why look for monsters under the bed?

RollaJ
02-24-2004, 09:58 AM
Party is probably one of the biggest gaming sites on the net, I am sure they get the same demands, and should be paying off to keep the site up

CountDuckula
02-24-2004, 10:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Party is probably one of the biggest gaming sites on the net, I am sure they get the same demands, and should be paying off to keep the site up

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with paying the Danegeld is that you never get rid of the Dane. As long as extortion is profitable, it will continue. Sure, Party can make the hackers go away for a short time by paying them off. But they'll be back, with bigger and bigger demands. It never stops. Treating it as just another "business expense" won't work, because it is not predictable enough to factor into the bottom line; you never know when they're going to issue another demand, or how much it will cost the next time they do.

-Mike

chesspain
02-24-2004, 11:06 AM
Paying hackers "protection" money is absurd. At least when a storefront businessman is dealing face-to-face with mafioso, their presense as your "partners" will protect you from other slime in the neighborhood. However, there is no real upside to paying off terrorists online-it would be cheaper to invest in better security.