PDA

View Full Version : TP/TK on a monotone flop

DanZ
02-22-2004, 10:17 PM
THis is from a 5 hadned game. 3 players limp to my SB, and I call with red AJo. The BB checks, and we see a flop of

JsTs8s

I bet, the BB calls, and the UTG limper raises. I havenot played with him before, but he seems a tighter and more conservative than the average player in these games, though is not a rock by ant means (he's just not a nut).

It is folded to me, and I 3 bet. The BB folds, and the UTG player calls.

The turn is a red 8. I bet, and UTG calls.

The river is a red 4. I check and call.

Comments appreciated, I think the river is the most interesting, and the decision to 3 bet the flop vs stop and go or check-raise the turn is mildly interesting.

Dan Z.

astroglide
02-22-2004, 11:46 PM
if it's 5-handed i would raise preflop, bet/3bet the flop, and fire the whole way

Piers
02-23-2004, 12:36 AM
The only thing that really sticks out to me is the river check.

The river card is not likely to have beaten you, so I think you should bet here. If you check and are behind surley he will just bet when he can beat top pair and check when he cant. If he was going to rase I would have expected it to come on the turn.

Kevin J
02-23-2004, 01:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The river card is not likely to have beaten you,

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct.

[ QUOTE ]
If you check and are behind surley he will just bet when he can beat top pair and check when he cant.

[/ QUOTE ]

He may also call (or raise) when he CAN beat top pair, and fold (or bluff/raise) when he can't. Add to this the fact that he may now bet or bluff with a worse hand, and checking becomes the more profitable river play against non-slot machine types. Especially when you're not sure what to do if raised. IMO-

elysium
02-23-2004, 01:54 AM
hi dan
good. perfect. doesn't get any better than this. A +