PDA

View Full Version : AQs gets limp-raised--comments on each street?

bdk3clash
02-22-2004, 09:19 PM
No real read on any of the players at this table

I'm looking for comments on:
-My PF cap
-My flop play
-My going into call-down mode on the turn and river. Does anyone bet the turn?

Party Poker 2/4 (10 handed)
bdk3clash has A/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif and is MP2

UTG limps, MP1 limps, bdk3clash raises, MP3 calls, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 3-bets, bdk3clash caps, MP3 calls, SB calls, BB folds, UTG folds, MP1 calls

Flop(20 SB): A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif

SB checks, MP1 checks, bdk3clash bets, MP3 raises, SB calls, MP1 calls, bdk3clash 3-bets, MP3 caps, SB calls, MP1 calls, bdk3clash calls

Turn(18 BB): 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB checks, MP1 checks, bdk3clash checks, MP3 bets, SB calls, MP1 folds, bdk3clash calls

River(21 BB): K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB checks, bdk3clash checks, MP3 checks

Oblivious
02-22-2004, 10:12 PM
PF cap is okay. Back-rasing in low limit games usually means wired pair AA-JJ. Since your AQ plays well short handed you should limit the field any time you get the chance early on.

I dont like capping on the flop. He cold called with AJ or 22 perhaps. I think MP-1 had KK or QQ.

Calling the turn is fine. You have plenty of outs if you are against 2pair.

You prolly shouldnt call the river without improving, but you got it for free, so you played it fine on that street.

_______

Oblivious is just that.

bdk3clash
02-22-2004, 11:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
PF cap is okay. Back-rasing in low limit games usually means wired pair AA-JJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? I generally see this as an "action" move by hands like JTs or 78s.

[ QUOTE ]
Since your AQ plays well short handed you should limit the field any time you get the chance early on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure how this relates to whether to cap preflop or not. Although AQs plays well against few opponents, it also plays well against many opponents. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I dont like capping on the flop. He cold called with AJ or 22 perhaps. I think MP-1 had KK or QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't cap the flop--I 3-bet. MP3 capped. He's the one that called two cold preflop, then called another two cold after I capped. What about this makes you put him on 22 or AJ exactly?

[ QUOTE ]
Calling the turn is fine. You have plenty of outs if you are against 2pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't deciding between calling and not calling the turn--I was wondering whether to bet out or not.

[ QUOTE ]
You prolly shouldnt call the river without improving, but you got it for free, so you played it fine on that street.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense, but you are in-[censored]-sane if you fold the river here "unimproved." This is a 20+BB pot--you can pry my top-pair-Q-kicker away from my cold, dead hands.

You don't make money by making laydowns in low limit hold'em on the river for one bet in large pots--that's how you lose money. Anyone that folds here on the end for one bet is making a catastrophic mistake.

See The Fur Coat Dilemma (http://slicer.headsupclub.com:3455/16/31).

[ QUOTE ]
Oblivious is just that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Mike Gallo
02-23-2004, 12:40 AM
My PF cap

I do not have a problem with you capping preflop.

My flop play

I might have called his flop raise and gone for a check raise on the turn. If he pops me again, then I call and check call the river.

If he just calls the turn check raise, then I bet the river.

Oblivious
02-23-2004, 01:18 AM
You were the one asking for comments, then you flame me?

I was just giving you my opinion, you dont have to be a [censored] bitch about it.

Im guessing you lost this hand by the way.

alfman
02-23-2004, 01:29 AM

bdk3clash
02-23-2004, 01:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You were the one asking for comments, then you flame me?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oblivious--I didn't mean to flame you. I just meant to respond to your comments point by point. If I came off as harsh, I apologize--I assure you I'm a decent guy. /images/graemlins/smile.gif My apologies.

[ QUOTE ]
I was just giving you my opinion, you dont have to be a [censored] bitch about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, my bad. I respect your opinion, I guess I just disagreed with some of it. Again, no offense intended.

[ QUOTE ]
Im guessing you lost this hand by the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Results later--I'm interested in hearing what others say.

Again, I apologize if I offended you.

-me

bdk3clash
02-23-2004, 01:34 AM
Yeah, it's a good one, and it really, ahem, *illustrates* the importance of not folding hands with a reasonable chance of winning in large pots, even if you "know" you're beat.

In this hand, assuming I'm closing the action, I'd have to be 95% sure my hand was no good to fold for one bet. I occasionally have strong reads, but rarely that strong.

alfman
02-23-2004, 01:53 AM
Couldn't be truer. I river folded the a set on a 4-flush board in a big pot 3 weeks ago because there was a bet and caller in front of me. I was totally sure I was beat, but 2 pair took it down. That hand is still eating at me even though I've probably played 2000 hands since then. The bad part about it was after my session I went back and re-read HPFAP (Folding When the Pot is Big)...and if I had to do it all over again I would fold again. Nevertheless, I can't get that hand out of my mind. I guess I'm a shrimp cocktail man /images/graemlins/grin.gif

kurtcobain
02-23-2004, 05:04 AM
I'm guessing the two guys still in on the river had either AJ, AK, 22, or JJ. Possibly AA, but its unlikely for obvious reasons.

sthief09
02-23-2004, 05:14 AM
Only hands that beat you are KJ (it would have to be a moron), AK, AJ, JJ, AA, or KK (it would have to be a moron), or the nuts, QT. I'm assuming you were against something like AJs. There were no real draws, so it would be dumb to fold the river to so few possible hands that beat you.

I think MP3 probably had AJ, and was worried about being check raised on the river by AK or QT, so he checked it down. SB acted too weakly on the other rounds to have AK. Weakness implies a draw or a weaker ace. For him to stick around, he'd have to have like AT or A9, or he might just be a loose player hanging around with QT, then checking the river in hopes of a check-raise (terrible move but what do you expect from someone playing QT this way). QT is a popular hand among loose players (and he called only 1 raise in the SB at first) so that would make sense. I think MP1 probably folded KK or QQ realizing he was beat.

So this is my guess: MP1 had KK, MP3 had AJ, and SB had QT

Joe Tall
02-23-2004, 10:30 AM
Your cap is fine. I've seen so many clowns limp-reraise is what is building to be a monster pot w/T7s, 78s, etc that I cap AQs. The other day vs a LAG I capped AJs after a frequent limp-re-raiser.

I think you played it fine.

Looks like MP3 has AJ and thinks he's counterfeited on the river.

Peace,
Joe Tall

sfer
02-23-2004, 12:26 PM
I don't cap without a read on the limp-reraiser, but I think it's fine when you're suited. After he goes passive on the flop I'd do the same--it's a clear signal he reraised with a drawing hand to build a pot. But I'd be worried I'm behind MP3 so I'd check/call the turn/river too.

I like MG's suggestion to go for a turn checkraise though. I should do that more.

MRBAA
02-23-2004, 12:47 PM
I tend to agree with the idea of limp/raise being a big pair. But your idea of a drawing hand pumping it up happens as well. I probably play it just like you did, although I might just call rather than 3 bet the flop. Unless MP3 is known to be super aggressive, it's pretty unusual for him to raise you on the flop after all that preflop action. I'd say JTs read of AJ sounds about right, especially given that he didn't bet the river. However there are also maniacs at 2-4 -- I had one at my table last night who capped preflop against my AKs, capped the flop of K-3-7rainbow, raised the turn and bet the river (we were head up once the flop hit). Final board: K-3-7-Q-4. I was sure I was beat by a set or two pair. But he had 10-3 suited for bottom pair and my hand was good. So your hand could be way good here. As you noted, folding the river is not an option.

bdk3clash
02-23-2004, 12:59 PM
-MP3 had A/images/graemlins/heart.gif8/images/graemlins/heart.gif and kicker problems
-SB had Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif4/images/graemlins/spade.gif for the flopped backdoor flush draw/turned flush draw.

My hand was good.

Mike Gallo
02-23-2004, 01:08 PM
I like MG's suggestion to go for a turn checkraise though. I should do that more.

Most players do not check raise the turn enough, in my experience.

I have started working on this myself.

sfer
02-23-2004, 06:33 PM
Anyone else totally befuddled by MP3? All that aggression and he checks through the river? How could the K have scared him--he's behind AK the whole hand.

I love Party.