PDA

View Full Version : Misc. hey dave take a look at this

01-27-2002, 03:18 AM
Hey guys, just turned eighteen so I have been ready to hit the tables. My uncle took 2nd in amarillo slim's seven card tournament in 1983 and he taught me a considerable amount about hold'em plus I've read through skalansky's Hold'em poker a couple times. So I go to the closest cardroom in town and sit down at a 2/4 table with 40 bucks. Perhaps I didn't bring enough cash? Anyway, I am catching jack s*&t. I am folding on damn near every hand. And even when I have a decent hand (say maybe a decent to high flush draw, a lower wired pair or a straight draw) it doesn't flop my way, so my cash is dwindling. Finally I have a straight flush draw and am down to my last couple of dollar chips. I have an open ended straight and catch my card on the river taking down the decent sized pot. whew! A damn relief, I was almost out of the game but then I was up about 10$. So next up, I get a wired pair of nines and so I bet and I can't fold these sons of bitches. Finally it comes fifth street and because my other card didn't flop and the board didn't pair, I was gone by fifth street, losing myself some $. Also, I have another straight draw and catch it but bust cuz this one guy WOULDN"T GO DOWN!!! In the end he ended up catching a really small full house. I tried to bluff because it wouldn't be profitable to go down. So finally my chips are once again dwindling and have AJ. This is a pretty decent hand, plus I'm the dealer, so things are looking good. Damn near everyone calls and I raise and everybody goes down except two guys. They call and the flop comes Ad 2s and 3c. I now have top pair so I throw the rest of my money in. There is no way anybody in there flopped a straight. They start a side pot. The next card is a seven of clubs. More betting. FInal card is a ten of clubs. They put down their cards. I lost with my top pair to a guy who had Jc and 4c. He caught I back door flush!!!! I was out of money and ended up taking the long road home, down 40$. There were some things that I noticed about the game though. Number one: almost everybody stayed around for the flop. Why? isn't this a good way to lose money slow? This loose playting is contagious and I probably ended up sticking around and not playing as tight as I should have on small pairs, straight, and flush draws. My uncle said when he played for a living, he was lucky to play two hands in thirty deals but it was so tempting being that these guys were staying in so much and winning. How loose should I play at these tables? Secondly, you cannot get these guys to fold. I could raise all day and they would stay in. Like that guy I mentioned earlier, he stayed in tring to catch a closed straight and ended up with a back door flush. I seem to be plagued with bad players leeching me of my money. Finally, I commanded no respect. My raises were ALWAYS called as if I had no damn idea what I was doing. It pissed me off, and ended up cleaning me out. Anyway, I just wanted to hear your guys' opinions and/or comments on this and any words of wisdom to a young player.

Joe

01-27-2002, 03:29 AM
learn to have more patience and be disciplined with your starting hands in regard to position now matter how lucky the guys at your table are getting.

however, you should loosen up near the button and gamble with them as you will need to draw out a few times to stay alive in a game like this.

buy in with more money too, you need to have enough to miss two or three draws in a row and still be alive, or get cracked a couple of times and still be alive.

01-27-2002, 03:42 AM
Welcome to the world of no fold'em hold'em. Keep playing solid cards, bet your nut flush draws for value, and for God's sake, bring more money to the table. All of those maroons hanging in there to beat your good hands with crapola is incredibly frustrating. It's also where your profit will come from. Hang in there.

01-27-2002, 12:42 PM
Good idea to bring only $40 to test out the waters for the first time.

Now you know what you are up against and you paid only ten big bets for your first lesson.

Sit down and do some more reading and thinking. Maybe play some micro-limit on an internet site or even some playmoney games.

Good luck. Let us know how visit two goes.

01-27-2002, 03:34 PM
I'm sure you're aware of the fact that your game isn't 100% solid yet.

That said, you oughta be able to recognize something pretty quickly: based on the way they play, it's clear most of these guys have never read a book, watched a video, or run a simulation of any sort. At least they didn't take any of it to heart.

But YOU have, right? And you intend to continue in your education, right? Good.

So get out of that game as quickly as possible. Put in your time at the lowest limits, sure, but if you want to see any of your education actually work at all, you'll need to get into a game where the entire world doesn't chase runner runner draws every hand.

One or two or even three at the table are OK (in fact, A-OK!), but with a true no-fold'em hold'em game, it's really just a crapshoot.

Find a game where the people seem to respect their chips just a bit more; you'll be able to move 'em off of their hands from time to time, and you'll be able to read them a million times better.

01-28-2002, 11:57 PM
First off, you are eighteen, so respect is something you won't get much of, especially from a table full of players that don't know you, even if you secretly had Mason and Dave feeding you advice from a hidden camera and microphone. Get used to this, YOU'RE ONLY 18!

Second, you seem to have gained your first experience with the "loose game blues." Get used to this too. Loose games include many drawouts and bad beats. You can call my new bad-beat emergency hotline, 1-900-bad-beat. It's 3.99/min, and you must be 18 to call!

Chances are, if you study real hard, and participate on the forums, and utilize that which you learn, you will be WAY ahead of your competition, and with the proper experience, you will be a winning player. Trial by fire is the only way to get experience, and stocking up on preparation-H will relieve the symptoms for a short time, but won't provide a cure for the loose game blues.

Don't give up. Study. Get experience. You're way ahead of the game already, but there's no magic bullet available on this site, or anywhere else. It's going to be a grind, so get used to this too.

Dave in Cali