PDA

View Full Version : trying not to give the free card

01-26-2002, 08:44 PM
Hello everyone,

I was wondering what people use as defense against the raise for a free card. Lately if I'm raised by the button on a 2 flush board I'll call the bet see what the turn card is and if it isn't 3rd of suit, I've been betting into the raiser. They usually slow down and just call trying to get to the river as cheaply as possible. On a straight draw type board it seems a little more difficult to make this play. I keep reading the raise wrong and keep getting caught by 2 pair.

Is there any other effective solution to the free card raise? Is reraising the flop of any worth?

Thanks as always,

Allan

01-26-2002, 11:45 PM
Once again depends on your read of the player. VERY few low limit games that I see utilize this move - someone could flop the absolute nuts and they'll raise the flop, not thinking of the extra bets they're costing themselves. Most of the time I will just call the flop raise and lead the turn vs 3 betting if I suspect this is happening - unless I have a set or 2 pair and am 95% sure I have the best hand which of course could improve to a boat that beats their flush/straight anyways.