PDA

View Full Version : Easy Lay Down for Top Pair?

Haupt_234
02-22-2004, 03:04 PM
Paradise 2/4, Loose table, Medium Aggressive

Hero on the button and is dealt A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

MP limps, Hero limps, SB calls, BB checks

FLOP: A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif

All check to Hero, Hero bets, SB folds, BB folds, MP calls

TURN: K /images/graemlins/heart.gif

MP checks, Hero Bets, MP raises...

Is this an easy lay down? Or should the hero call him down?

Tosh
02-22-2004, 03:09 PM
If you're going to play this hand here, I raise preflop.

dave44
02-22-2004, 03:17 PM
why would you raise that pre-flop? To make people think you have a higher kicker?

Haupt_234
02-22-2004, 03:20 PM
Im not sure raising preflop would have accomplished anything.

They would put in another bet if one is on the table either way...

What is your logic here? I could be wrong...

Haupt_234

TazQ
02-22-2004, 03:44 PM
Generally you're looking to flop a flush draw with A4s. If you're going to play it without the correct odds/implied odds to do this you need to limit the field so you have a better chance of winning the pot with Ace high/top pair/or a flop bet.

me454555
02-22-2004, 03:59 PM
easy lay down here. turn check raise means your tp is beaten

me454555
02-22-2004, 04:03 PM
I don't think raising here is a great idea. Your 2:1 against flopping an ace and your putting in more money pf w/a good but not great hand. What hands are you going to get to fold pf for 1 bet that your not going to fold on the flop for a bet? Ax from the bb will probobly still come along and the limper will probobly come along too. The only person your going to eliminate that may be a problem is sb if he has Ax and won't call a raise.

Gonzoman
02-22-2004, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think raising here is a great idea. Your 2:1 against flopping an ace and your putting in more money pf w/a good but not great hand. What hands are you going to get to fold pf for 1 bet that your not going to fold on the flop for a bet? Ax from the bb will probobly still come along and the limper will probobly come along too. The only person your going to eliminate that may be a problem is sb if he has Ax and won't call a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since there has only been 1 limper from MP, the hero very likely has the best hand PF. The raise is to isolate the MP limper by getting the blinds to fold, increasing the chance that you win the pot without improvement. If the blinds won't fold unless they happened to die during the hand, then raising might not be the best play.

dirty_dan
02-22-2004, 05:09 PM
Calling this preflop is definitely the wrong play.
Axs sucks unless you're in a multiway pot. And 2 or 3 opponents doesn't really count.

If you do want to play it from the button behind a single limper, you want to try to get it headsup with the limper, because your ace high figures to be better than whatever he's got. So you raise to knock out the blinds. The raise also makes it easier to take the pot with a bet on the flop if it doesn't hit the limper.

TazQ
02-22-2004, 05:22 PM
I'd fold this preflop, but if you're going to play it with only one limper with yourself on the button raising is a lot better than simply limping in. Raising is clearly superior if the blinds are tight and the limper is weak. It just depends on your opponents which the poster didn't say anything about.

I was just explaining why you'd rather raise here than simply limp in. I think folding is better than both of those options.

Tosh
02-23-2004, 06:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In this position I'd only play the hand if I felt the blinds would fold enough. I'd raise it or fold, never limp.

sthief09
02-23-2004, 06:53 AM
The only reason to call this down is so people don't push you around. Online, where people change tables so frequently, and the ones who don't are probably playing multiple tables or watching TV, this doesn't matter and you should go ahead and fold. If you're playing B&M I might call this down every once in a while, so people won't try to run you over by check raising you on the flop.

As for raising this hand preflop, I think the point is that it's not a good hand. It's good heads up (because of the ace), and it's good in a 5+ player pot, but it's pretty bad on the situation you played it. If you don't think it's worth a raise in this situation, then you should fold it. Low kickers leak money like no other.

Joe Tall
02-23-2004, 09:09 AM
There are multiple posts on this topic and it's been highly debated here in the past.

If I am in a passive-preflop game I limp UTG w/Axs.

As for the hand, the pot is small, there are multiple hands that have you beat, you have kicker problems, easy fold.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Schmed
02-23-2004, 09:31 AM
I have to be honest and say that I may have check folded on the flop. I check fold this more often than I bet it. When I play a hand like that I am playing for either a , flush, 2 pair, or trips (4s). If none of that hits on the flop I want to get away from that garbage because it can only cost you money in the long run. My guess, you got beat by the A5s... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I missed the fact that you were 3 handed. I agree with the people that say you should have raised preflop if you were going to play that hand at all. I would have probably folded it unless in an LP then folded to me I raise.