PDA

View Full Version : Going on tilt and getting there - Super Magoo

01-25-2002, 02:38 PM
Commerce 9-18. I have just lost a $600 pot with AKs after flopping 2 Kings, and a $450 pot to a gutshot with my overcard QQ.

Half an hour later, I get QQ again and lose. 15 mins I get it for the 3rd time in an hour:

5 limpers including SB to me in my BB, I raise my QQ, all call.

Flop: 9c 9s 7c

I bet, MP raises, Button calls. I 3-bet, MP caps, Button folds. All others folded. Heads up to the turn, 10BB in the pot.

Turn: [9c 9s 7c] Ah.

I check, MP bets, I decide in my tilted state to be a super genius and checkraise to represent pocket AA. MP reeeeeeealy hesitates and finally calls. 14BB in the pot.

River: [9c 9s 7c Ah] Qd

I bet, MP (young asian) calls and when he sees my hand he is H-O-T. Whips his 8-9 at the dealer, gives me the "you crazy white guy" look.

01-25-2002, 02:54 PM
nice turn bet. ballsy. funny how he gets hot since on the turn he musta figured he was beat and drawing. nice to see the guy actually betting the flop with it though. sounds like he played it right, but just got snapped. did he go on tilt after that?

nice hand...

b

01-25-2002, 07:11 PM
Clarkmeister, I think you get to hold the coveted title of Magoo of the Week! Let's see why this is...

I believe this hand illustrates a Magoo-ism that is often exhibited by tilting players who keep getting "good hands" beat by loose players. This Magoo-ism is "ignoring important information."

When you bet the flop, it's not surprising you got raised. However, we all know that this might not necessarily mean that you're way behind and drawing to two cards. So your reraise is not necessarily a bad play either. However, by reraising here you are doing two things, one of which is dependent on the other. First, you are representing a strong hand. Second, and more importantly, you are probing for information. Very few players will make it four against you here if they don't have a two-outer beat. Therefore when you DO in fact get four-bet, the information you have requested has in fact been provided to you. At this point, you must assess what to DO with this information.

In your case, you chose to ignore the information you paid about an hour's wage to obtain. Furthermore, you decided to "pull a move" on your unsuspecting opponent.

Now as we all know, the Poker Gods are not bound by the rules of mere mortal men such as we. We also know that the Poker Gods often choose to reward stupidity. That's what happened here. Now this ain't a runner-runner kinda double-backdoor-one-card-gutshot-to-the-butt-end Magoo kind of behaviour we see you exhibiting here. This is the kind of Magoo-ism where an otherwise good player goes on tilt and completely ignores the obvious trying to outplay a player with a hand that an atom-bomb couldn't get a total rock to fold. Yep. So the Gods gave you the pot.

Great post, my fellow Super-Genius*.

Dave in Cali

*self-proclaimed

01-25-2002, 09:58 PM
I'm just glad to know that I'm allowed to suck out too!

The next time my opponents suck out on me, I can't say "My two outers never get there". I now have witnesses that they do!

I humbly accept ownership of the MHOW. May the slower paced Vegas games keep me from tilting in such spectacular fashion for the forseeable future.

01-26-2002, 02:49 PM