PDA

View Full Version : A perfect example of why you shouldn't slowplay big hands in big pots

Enon
02-22-2004, 07:18 AM
Please forgive me for another pockets aces hand:

PP 15/30 full table and there are a few weak spots with a few regulars with a fair amount of action.

I'm utg+1 and get A /images/graemlins/heart.gif A /images/graemlins/club.gif

UTG raises and I make it 3 bets. An extremely weak player in mid position cold calls and another weak player calls for another 2 bets one off the button, after posting a big blind. Original better in early position just calls. 4 to the flop.

Flop: [ J /images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, A /images/graemlins/spade.gif ]
Giving me top set. UTG bets and I make the major mistake of getting greedy and just calling, thinking I'd wait for the turn to make a raise instead of trying to just win the pot right there or possibly win it on the turn. Other two players just call behind me.

Turn: [ 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif ][ J /images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, A /images/graemlins/spade.gif ]

UTG bets again and I raise. Late position player cold calls and UTG just calls.

River: [ Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif ][ 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif ][ J /images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, A /images/graemlins/spade.gif ]

UTG checks. I bet and late position player raises, utg folds and i just call.

Late position player shows 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif T /images/graemlins/spade.gif and takes down the pot.

Is it a consensus that this call on the flop is 100% wrong when the pot is multiway and draw is on the board. What if the pot was heads up with UTG?

Thanks,
ENON

spamuell
02-22-2004, 09:25 AM
The LP player would have called your flop raise anyway with a gutshot and a backdoor flush draw, if he's the type willing to call 2 cold with T7s.

34TheTruth34
02-22-2004, 01:10 PM
the fact that you didn't raise on the flop doesn't change anything at all in this hand. Although his preflop call is horrible, he's calling on the flop (and is correct to do so with his gutshot + backdoor flush) even if you raise. The board is slightly more coordinated than I'd like to smooth call with a set here, but you don't really want anyone behind you to fold. I'd wait until the turn most of the time here too. But don't think you cost yourself the pot because you certainly didn't. Put the blame squarely where it belongs-- on the damn dealer who put up the runner-runner spades. /images/graemlins/smile.gif