PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible that I'm reading too much?

blackaces13
02-22-2004, 12:38 AM
I only got into poker in general a few months ago when the WSOP was on ESPN. I quickly become pretty fascinated by the game that I originally believed to be mainly a game of luck when I found out the tremendous amount of skill and judgement involved. As with anything I get into I dove head first into absorbing all the knowledge I possibly could. At first I read a couple of books and played whenever I could against friends and at very low limits and did pretty well. Early on though, I'd read a little then play a lot, then re-read if I felt necessary and I only had 2 books (WLLHE and HePFAP).

Then recently I started reading anything I could get my hands on and my poker library has grown exponentially in the past month or so. I'm reading about anything poker related, even if I don't play it. I've read novel type books like The Biggest Game in Town and Positively 5th St. I've read books on tourneys, I read the 7-stud and low ball sections in books even though I don't play those games, I read books on NL, NL tournies and old books like Super System where the blind structure doesn't even apply anymore and I never even play NL.

Now it is to the point where I read this site and any new books I can get on a wide range of poker topics more than I actually play. I think that I actually enjoy reading about poker more than playing it and I think its really hurting my game. I'm not playing nearly as much as I am reading/posting and I'm not even close to a good/experienced player yet.

So my question/concern is thus: can reading too much be counter-productive? Am I'm not interspersing enough real playing time? Also, what would some great players and experts say is the proper balance of reading and playing. It seems to me that playing should outweight reading for the most part and by a good margin, but for me now I'd say I'm reading and thinking about theoretical issues FAR more than I'm actually playing. I'm also reading about an extremely wide variety of poker games and I suspect I'm spreading myself way too thin because all I should be playing or reading about now is very low-limit hold'em. Poker can't be learned in an ivory tower right?

PS. I've also been losing a lot lately even though I "know" more than I did when all I had was WLLHE and HePFAP and had only read each once. When I first started I was a regular winner, now it seems much tougher.

MasterShakes
02-22-2004, 04:32 AM
I really see no problem with reading for enjoyment - "novel" books like Biggest Game in Town and Positively 5th Street (I'd also recommend Poker Nation... really enjoyed it). These books shouldn't interfere with the way you play any more than a purely fictional novel would.

I also see no problem with reading the theoretical books like Psychology of Poker, Inside the Poker Mind, and Theory of Poker. Reading these helped me understand just the basic structure of the game, pot odds, etc., which I had never even thought about when playing my quarter-ante home game.

The problem comes when you read a book like HEPFAP and try to apply the more sophisticated plays to a .50/1 game at PP. Winning Low Limit Hold 'Em should be enough to make you at least a slight winner at the micro limits if you apply the ideas there properly.

I do the same thing - I read a lot, and I watch a lot on TV. Just make sure that you have the ideas on when to apply these theories very clear in your mind - don't make a $30/$60 play against a 50-cent player. Understand the basics from Theory of Poker. Study the less sophisticated ideas from HEPFAP. Apply everything from the Lee Jones book to your game (assuming you play at the lower limits).

Taxman
02-22-2004, 06:31 PM
I find that the less you try to trick the LL players, the better.

pretender2k
02-23-2004, 02:34 AM
This is what I was taught. The purpose to reading for educational purposes is to change your way of thinking over a longer period of time. Thus reading should be done on a daily basis not in huge amounts speradically. I was also taught that you get more out of a book everytime you read it. These principles do not apply to pleasure reading. I have recomended the following book to many people who would like a program of reading that will help them learn whatever topic it is they want to learn. It deals with reading success literature (which I have found helps me even in poker) but it can be applied to any subject.

The Magic Is In The Extra Mile By Larry DiAngi

MCS
02-23-2004, 04:05 AM
Of course it's possible. I've had the same thoughts. In fact, I am sure that my current playing-to-reading ratio is far lower than it should be if my only goal were improving my poker skills.

You know, it's not inherently bad if you like reading more than playing. There's nothing morally superior about being a better poker player, and you should do what makes you happy. If that means you read a lot and it takes you a little longer to "move up," so what? I know I've enjoyed reading all sorts of gambling-related books while I slowly get better at poker.

I don't like turning poker into a grind, and so I don't force myself to play if I really don't want to. I also really don't want to stress about the game, which is partially why I play for lower stakes than my current skill level might warrant.

ewile
02-23-2004, 03:16 PM
I think tha the content of all the books you are reading takes a very long time to absorb. I began playing poker online about two years ago. I read WLLHE, HEFAP and Theory of Poker. Since first reading them, I have carried one of those books with me pretty much all the time. I have a full time job, so if I played last night and ran into a particular issue, I'll throw one of the books into my briefcase and go over the relavant portions when I have a moment at work or at lunch etc.
Even if I'm not struggeling with a specific issue, I keep a book with me in case I have some time and I'll go over whatever chapter I feel like re-reading.
Doing this has allowed me a good balance of playing and reading and has helped me to absorb more of the material by reading and re-reading.
It's a little difficult for me to imaging really absorbing the material in the books without encountering the situations in play. But that may just be my particular style of learning.

Mike Gallo
02-23-2004, 03:30 PM
Welcome aboard.

Play and read. Learn to balance the two so they fall in harmony with each other.

Soon you will identify some of the concepts that you had only read about.

chaos
02-24-2004, 09:24 AM
You have to watch out for what Mike Caro calls "Fancy Play Syndrome." Often the straight forward play is the best. Perhaps you are trying to be too tricky with all of your new found knowledge.

LetsRock
02-24-2004, 01:50 PM
I don't think it's possible to have read too much over the long term. It can only make you better.

But reading too much at once can be troublesome if you try to obsorb it all at once and then try to apply your new knowedge too quickly. Poker (as in many activities that lead to "self-help" advancement) is a pretty deep and challenging subject (as I'm sure you have discovered).

You need to try to implement new concepts one at a time which means lots of playing mixed in with your studies. All of the good poker books will introduce many new concepts (or at least a different spin on a concept) and trying to obsorb all of them at once will likely confuse you more than help you. Most books will reccommend that you read the book cover to cover and then go back to particular sections that you need as you need them for reference.

I'd suggest that you limit your studies to one game at a time. Each game has it's own nuances and you can cross yourself up by trying to fous on them all at once. Also be careful about trying apply advanced plays at lower limits; you'll just be tricking yourself out of money.

The trick is to recognize which parts of your game need work and then focus on those parts. I think you'll get a lot more out of your reading this way.

Best of luck and welcome!