PDA

View Full Version : Super tight AA

PokerBabe(aka)
02-21-2004, 10:17 PM
Here is a fun experiment I tried today in a rock-solid daytime 10-20 hold 'em game. I had only 3 hours to play so I decided to hang with the tightest poker guys around.

I am with 7 players I have known for several years. These guys all play only 10-20 and play many days a year. We pass a few red chips around and I do mean a few.

After several hours of passing these meager pots, I am just about ready to go home. My day has been unproductive except for a few smiles and some chat about food and the weather. I was planning a roast chicken dinner, green beans and mashed potatoes. I was also hoping for much more rain, which is a real treat in Vegas.

I yearn for action. And here it comes. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

One lonely limper to Babe on the button. I raise with black Jacks. The SB now 3 bets. This player 3 betting from the sb can ONLY have KK or AA and my money is on AA. I could simply fold, but hey I am here to gambool...(LOL). /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif. Limper and Babe call.

Flop is Q, 7, 4 (rainbow). Sb bets his KK or AA and limper folds. I decide to call and raise the turn unless it's exacly a K or an A. I know that sb knows I will not raise a meager A,Q there vs. a preflop sb 3 bet from him. The Q is actually a perfect card for me, or so I think. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

The turn brings an 8. SB bets and I raise per my plan.

and...now for the results.... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif Will the sb fold? will this most clever and bold of plays work against one of the tightest players in America? /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

SB stops for what seems like a minute and thinks and thinks. He says, "you have a set huh"? I did my best impression of a "RockBabe" and stared at the flop as a hush fell over the crowd. I just tried to breathe in and out.

Alas, sb calls and now I know I am doomed /images/graemlins/frown.gif The river card is invisible and sb checks his hand to me and I check behind. I cannot bet the river, since I cannot (meaning I don't want to) show my hand if I am called.

SB proudly shows AA and I muck. Well, guess he wasn't as tight as I thought he was, huh? Yeah...what was I thinking? ...nobody will lay down AA to a Q high board, will they?

Two hands later, I came home to start the roast chicken dinner before the rain started.

LGPG,

Babe /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Clarkmeister
02-21-2004, 10:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I cannot bet the river, since I cannot (meaning I don't want to) show my hand if I am called.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop worrying about what those losers think. Play your freaking hand.

PokerBabe(aka)
02-21-2004, 11:06 PM
LOL /images/graemlins/grin.gif

mike l.
02-21-2004, 11:30 PM
you could always muck the river without showing if he calls. i think you have to take one more shot here if you think he's capable of the fold.

PokerBabe(aka)
02-21-2004, 11:36 PM
Hi mikel,

Yes, since he did not reraise me on the turn and then checked to me on the river, he was clealy on the defensive. If I bet the river, he has one more chance to muck, whereas not betting gives him no chance to muck.

I guess I am a supertight bluffer (lol). /images/graemlins/grin.gif

LGPG,

shemp
02-22-2004, 01:12 AM
Hi babe. There's not much future in getting people to lay down AA. The upside is that you gave this guy the thrill of his week, and spreading joy is partly what we are about here. It might have been fun to smile meekly, and say sorry as you bet the river -- then when he calls, you say, "My bust, y'all", and try to act surprised when he tables aces. Some people call this angle shooting, because there is a legitimate shot his pacemaker will fail before they push him the pot, but I call it poker. Sometimes, when I'm trying to be funny, I call it pocker.

What would be worse for you in this game -- if he folded or called with his aces?

PokerBabe(aka)
02-22-2004, 01:42 AM
Hi Shemp,

Your Babe cannot pull the "ah shucks" routine on this pacemaker team, since they have known me for awhile. She also cannot pull those two aces out of the sb's sweaty palms /images/graemlins/grin.gif (lol).

The Babe just wants to have fun, play good, look good and win money. This tedious game prompted me to try a rare bluff vs a tight player who had the nuts at the time.

Would it be worse for me if he called or folded those lousy aces? Good question. I realize that I was a winner anyway with this play, since now, when I raise top set on the turn, I will be getting paid off big time. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif Tomorrow, it's steak instead of chicken for me.!

LGPG,

shemp
02-22-2004, 01:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The Babe just wants to have fun, play good, look good and win money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh and you're doing it baby.

That's why I'm saying bet the river, although you probably need to wait to 2010 to try this again. When he calls and gives you the "Et tu, Brute" -- you just say, "Game on, white boy -- tired of the man keeping the man down."

Sometimes it's the ones that know me best that I've raped the hardest -- 3-betting with something way out of character, catching a miracle, etc.