PDA

View Full Version : Small Set Slowplay

Kurn, son of Mogh
02-21-2004, 07:29 PM
2-table SNG on 'Stars this evening. Early on, 17 left, 8 at my table. I have 1745, good for 3rd at this table. Blinds are 15/30.

I pick up 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif UTG and limp, one caller in MP, SB folds, BB checks. Pot=105

Flop: 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Pretty innocuous flop for my bottom set, BB checks, I check, MP checks.

Turn: A /images/graemlins/heart.gif

BB checks, I check, MP bets 120, BB folds, I flat call. Pot=345

River: 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I check, MP bets 210.

Back to me. Who raises and how much? Who just calls?

Results later.

NotMitch
02-21-2004, 08:00 PM
I raise to oh lets say T600 becaause raising is awesome, and I think you are ahead. And if you get reraised you have enough chips left to get away from it of you want to, but I think its tough to lay that down and at the levels I play at I wouldn't unless I had a strong read on someone.

GoSox
02-21-2004, 10:06 PM
Unless I'm really short and desperate for chips, I'd try to win that one on the turn. Especially with the A hitting you'll get some action. but, in the situation you're in... you called the 120 so he knows you probably have something and there aren't many draws. If he had the 8 he'd go higher so I'd put him on the A or Q. I'd bet probably 300 to 500. The variation being if he's near being all in he's probably going to come back for the rest.

Kurn, son of Mogh
02-21-2004, 11:21 PM
I decided that I'd tempted fate too much, wimped out, and just called in case I'd run into A8. He showed A /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif so I guess I wasn't that far off. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Cosimo
02-22-2004, 06:31 PM
How often will a strong Q check this flop from last position? I don't think often. A weak Q might check because he's scared of his kicker. Otherwise, I think this flop missed everybody.

On the turn, I read the MP as being scared of 2-pair. He just made TP, the best hand so far. A8 and A4 might have checked the flop, and AQ might have been shooting for a check-raise or a turn bet/raise. BB folds, though, and you flat call. Either he's got a monster and trying to milk you, or he's weak.

When the river pairs the board, MP is no longer afraid of two pair--but he's still got to worry about trips or a boat. I think a raise is in order on the river, tho I doubt that I'd have the nerve to do it, which is why I don't finish 1st very often.

MensaIQ178
02-22-2004, 07:08 PM
trying to figure out what is going on in your head during this hand. you go for the slowplay but...check and smooth call all the way. very nice