PDA

View Full Version : preflop capped 7 ways

Tyler Durden
02-21-2004, 02:08 PM
Party 3/6.

UTG limps, I limp next to act with 33. UTG+2 raises. MP 3bets. LP1 and LP2 call three cold. SB calls, BB folds, UTG and I call. Now UTG+2 caps it. 7 ways capped, hence the title of the post.

Flop is J/images/graemlins/spade.gif8/images/graemlins/heart.gif3/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
Checked to the capper who bets, everyone calls except for the SB.

6 to the turn.
It's the 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
Checked to the capper who bets, one LP calls, I checkraise, capper 3bets, LP folds, I cap, capper calls.

River is J/images/graemlins/club.gif Board is J-8-3-8-J.

I bet, he raises, I 3bet.

Comments?

Vehn
02-21-2004, 02:28 PM
Are you nuts?

Tyler Durden
02-21-2004, 02:29 PM
No.

Can you give me a serious, non-sarcastic answer?

Vehn
02-21-2004, 02:34 PM
You realize any J or 8 beats you right?

spamuell
02-21-2004, 02:42 PM
Why didn't you raise the flop? Everyone wants this pot, no one's folding for two bets if they were going to call one, the pot is just massive.

Also, I'd be a little worried about set under set, and I'd like to have an idea how strong people are, although I don't really think a flop raise accomplishes this unless someone call-reraises, and even then you don't know.

I think you played the turn fine.

What the hell are you doing on the river? You capped the turn, he still raises you, the board has 2 pair on it, he's not remotely scared. I would probably have just check-called, maybe I would have bet and crying-called the raise. Unless you've failed to mention that this opponent is a maniac, it doesn't like like he's holding an overpair.

Tosh
02-21-2004, 02:43 PM
To be fair Vehn its likely his opponent has an overplayed overpair so a 3 bet might not be that crazy. Having said that he could have AJs and I think bet-call is far better

EDIT: About the rest of the hand. Fold preflop and play the flop fast.

Barry
02-21-2004, 02:47 PM
Not only do you make a mistake by limping UTG+1, you compound the problem by calling 2 when it comes back to you.

Assuming that UTG+2 isn't a complete maniac... or is he?

I wouldn't have made it this far but on the flop, you got lucky, but bottom set is a pretty fragile holding given all the PF action, you have to bet the flop and let UTG+2 raise and force the rest of the field to call 2 to hopefully avoid having someone "peel one".

Lead the turn, on the river bet (I would still put him on an overpair here, not a J or 8)and call a raise, after all, if he raises the river after you cap the turn you're behind or he is a maniac, or is it you that is the maniac?

You must have been having a bad day Yassir.

Tyler Durden
02-21-2004, 02:55 PM
Hold on a second everyone.

33 isn't a bad limp in EP in these games b/c it's so loose and I'll get paid off when I flop good. I don't think calling two cold is bad either b/c of the same principle, plus there are many in already. I have to call once it's capped.

I should have checkraised the flop for sure. I really hate that part.

As for the turn, when I get 3bet he's telling me he's not scared of an 8, but I'm not prepared to give him JJ just yet b/c of his preflop play.

Then the Jack hits the river and at first I don't like it but his play was more consistent with an overplayed overpair than a hand that beats mine. Vehn, how is this guy going to have an 8, unless it's 88? It's hard to make quads. Most 3/6 players won't cap it preflop with less than QQ, so it's unlikely he has 88 or JJ.

Anyway, he called the 3bet, my hand was good, he had KK.

~ Yaser (note the correct spelling, lol)

Vehn
02-21-2004, 02:55 PM
He played the hand fine except I would checkraise the flop most of the time. In almost any game I will limp with a small pair in early position after someone else has limped. He has a clear call when it comes back to him, too.

On the river you check and call.

me454555
02-21-2004, 02:56 PM
PF: Butchered, fold this in ep, fold it when you gotta call a 3 bet

Flop: When the pot gets big, your goal is to win, not make it bigger. Bet out or go for a check raise but try to make people fold. Don't worry about slowplaying b/c the pot is huge already.

Turn: Played it fine

River: I actually like your 3-bet here b/c you're heads up against a pf capper. A lot of time pf cappers have big pairs like QQ, KK, AA and have trouble giving it up no matter whats on the board. I think you'll be ahead of a pf capper holding AA, KK, or QQ more often then you'll be behind so a raise isnt a terrible play.

Vehn
02-21-2004, 02:57 PM
Your opponent is an idiot /images/graemlins/tongue.gif After all that action and the fact that 5 people folded its likely that your opponent somehow has an 8 or a J. But nice hand sir. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

chesspain
02-21-2004, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not only do you make a mistake by limping UTG+1, you compound the problem by calling 2 when it comes back to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was an easy call of two more, since six others are already in the pot, and no one is folding for one more. Indeed, Hero nearly has the immediate pot odds to call, and has huge implied odds if he hits his set, since at least 1-2 players will likely pay him off right to the river.

Tyler Durden
02-21-2004, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
After all that action and the fact that 5 people folded its likely that your opponent somehow has an 8 or a J.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this makes sense? He's unlikely to have a Jack or an 8 b/c he was the PFR and PFC. Unless he has 88 or JJ or AJs but most Party 3/6 players won't cap with those hands, as I already stated.

spamuell
02-21-2004, 03:19 PM
Unless he has 88 or JJ or AJs but most Party 3/6 players won't cap with those hands, as I already stated.

You've never seen players cap with completely ridiculous hands, probably because they figure, "Well I'm already in for three bets, it's probably getting capped anyway, if I cap people will never suspect what I have"? I've seen caps with AJs, 87s, 54o even (the last one was on pacific). OK, it's less likely that he has most of these hands because he raised PF before capping, but taking his actions into account on later streets as well, it is by no means ruled out.

N.B. Wasn't there a post on here yesterday where someone capped with 65s to "take control of the hand"?

Barry
02-21-2004, 03:23 PM
LOL

Sorry Yaser, I guess that you never did spell your name for me. I still don't like the PF limp.

Tyler Durden
02-21-2004, 03:28 PM
It's alright man, you probably won't see my name in print till May when I win the WSOP. Any trips to Vegas in the near future? I should be making my Foxwoods debut in June.

How is your newborn daughter doing? Well I hope.

I think the PF raise is a good one, particularly A.M. (after Moneymaker) because the games are looser than they've ever been. There's no way I'm folding 33 after one limper when I'm UTG+1 in a Party 3/6.

Barry
02-21-2004, 03:36 PM
I'm planning on going back to Vegas during the final WSOP week in late May. Mother and daughter are doing great.

Let me know when you come to Foxwoods; all of the regulars will be glad to show you around. Do you still have my Cell #?

CrazyEyez
02-21-2004, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
particularly A.M. (after Moneymaker)

[/ QUOTE ]

I love that.