PDA

View Full Version : Images Modification

Norm
02-21-2004, 11:53 AM
I altered the image file on my PC for Party poker (to make the cards easier to read). So I decided to do the same for William Hill, but every time I logoff and log back in, all the images revert to the originals. Does this mean they update the image file every time you log on or is something else going on?

MS Sunshine
02-21-2004, 06:03 PM
I'm a little over 40 <cough> and I could make use of slightly larger card images on Party. Could you show the difference in the images here? ty for your trouble.

MS Sunshine

Norm
02-21-2004, 06:17 PM
I have no way to download images to the forum.
What I did was take the number and suit on the left side of the card, copy it, blow it up (double the height and width) and paste that on the right 2/3s of the card. I left the small number/suit on the left, since one of your pocket cards will have the right side covered when playing.

Caveman
02-22-2004, 12:18 AM
MS Sunshine I played around with some images for a little while and this is what I came up with. It's a very rough example, but it does show the differences possible.
card examples (http://geocities.com/jaguar69xke2000/cards.htm)
Sometime next week I might do the whole set of the 78 cards available. The reason for 78 cards is that 2 suits have duplicates to enable the color option to work.

There is another option available, by simply lowering your screen resolution, the images should appear to be larger and easier to see. The biggest drawback to this is that you will either have to make the change permanently or change it back and forth each time you play. The 2nd drawback is that everything might seem to blur quite a bit at least it seems that way to me, but try it and see.

The last thing I should add is that it is possibly a violation of the user agreement, since you are altering something they gave you. You would not be altering the code so it should be ok but I do know enough about the subject to be sure.

Norm
02-22-2004, 08:23 AM
Remember the large image must be on the right 2/3s of the card, and the small image on the left 1/3, so you can read the cards even when they are overlapped by another card.

Combine your image 1 (left side) with your image 2 (right side). As for your image 5 - you can't make the actual card size bigger.

Thanks for the demo.

t_perkin
02-22-2004, 09:17 AM
Some of the websites check that all the files in the installation are as they should be. Probably to prevent a number of things:

You could theoretically write a virus that altered the installation to allow someone to eaves drop (but this would be a challenging task to say the least).

Changing the card images makes screen scraping a lot easier, they no doubt want to discourage this.

They want the name of their poker room across the middle of the table and the lobby, and they don't want you to change that.

---

They will only reinstall the image files if they have been altered. (they perform some sort of checksum on the files, probably CRC or similar).

Tim

Norm
02-22-2004, 09:34 AM
Thanks for answering my original question, I was wondering if anyone would know this one.

Norm
02-22-2004, 02:29 PM
BTW, if anyone does this, remember to save all your modified images in your "My Pictures" folder. Or else the next time Party does an upgrade they will all get replaced. You may also want to save the original images there so you have a backup.