PDA

View Full Version : RFD Link: rec.gambling.poker.moderated

RichM
02-21-2004, 08:39 AM
The following link will take you to the Request for Discussion regarding the creation of a new usenet news group. http://tinyurl.com/3g45w

The process of creating a new newsgroup takes about three months, and the first 21 days are the discussion period. The formal discussion takes place at news:news.groups but discussion in the 2+2 forum might be of value as well.

The purpose of rec.gambling.poker.moderated (RGPM) is to create a version of RGP which is spam-free and free of personal attacks. This is not a proposal to moderate the existing group, but rather to create a separate news group for people who do not have the time required to wade through all the RGP content, which is averaging about 700 posts per day.

I have been asked by the newsgroup mentors to publish the RFD link on all existing poker forums, so that users of other forums can get involved in this discussion. Your opinions of this proposal would be highly valued.

Rich M

Mason Malmuth
02-21-2004, 03:59 PM
Hi Rich:

We're averaging about 1600 to 1700 posts a day. More during the week and less on weekends. Actually, 11,580 in the last seven days, and we had have several days where the total number of posts peaked at over 2,100.

We believe that part of the reason for this success is that we are moderated and control the personal attacks and advertising in the posts while encouraging vigorous debate. This helps to keep the forums on topic and the quality of ionformation exchanged is very high.

We also went to an independent moderator. He has a basic charter for what needs to be done, but makes all decisions on his own. Occasionally I'll ask him to look at a post, and anyone can do this, but the final decision is his not mine.

As for RGP, the extreme nastiness exhibited by a few people has probably also been a contributor to the growth of these forums. So you have your work cut out for you.

Best wishes,
Mason

clovenhoof
02-22-2004, 03:36 AM
It seems obvious that it's a pretty good idea.

What do we do now -- what "discussion" is necessary to assist RGPM in coming into being?

'hoof

RichM
02-22-2004, 08:42 PM
The official discussion area for the creation of RGPM is at the newsgroup called news.groups

After the discussion period there will be a vote.

Mason Malmuth
02-22-2004, 11:55 PM
Hi Rich:

Correct me if I'm wrong, and your post did catch my interest, but it seems to me that you want to start a discussion group that's very similar to what we have here on www.twoplustwo.com. (http://www.twoplustwo.com.) If that's the case, why don't you just come here and take part in the discussion.

As for RGP, or what's left of it, I imagine that there's a few people remaining there who are very unhappy with your idea. Their world of insults and and attacks will now be limited to an even greater degree, and their audience will be even smaller.

Best wishes,
Mason

RichM
02-23-2004, 03:04 AM
Mason -

I have been reading your forum for awhile and have now joined 2+2 so that I can post. I am big fan of usenet, however, and participate in other groups. I sense that the few who are angry about this proposal do not outweigh the throngs who support it in concept. I am not trying to harm RPG, nor am I trying to create something which draws audience away from any online forum. The way I see this, our industry is growing and we would all benefit from as many forums as possible to help handle the growth. I want to increase the size of the pie, not cut it into smaller pieces, and I think having a quality newsgroup will help experienced folks and newbies alike advance their poker experience in a quality way, which is good for everyone.

Personally, I would love to see you create a 2+2 forum called "Best of RGP" in which someone who uses both sites reposts the best comments to your site, maybe with links to the google threads. I don't think it would replace the need for the RGPM newsgroup, but I believe that there is a lot of good content out there that can be found nowhere else.

As for me, I love the versatility that today's newsreaders give me in reviewing content, and my primary objective is to create something as lively as RGP without the garbage.

Wish me luck.

Rich M