PDA

View Full Version : beKAuse i don't post any other hands...

BottlesOf
02-20-2004, 11:00 PM
I get AK /images/graemlins/club.gif in the SB at a 5/10 paradise.
7-handed

The only EP limps, MP1 limps, folds to me, I raise, BB folds, limpers call.

Flop: 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I check, EP bets, MP calls, I raise, both call.

Turn: 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif [6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif]

I bet, EP folds, MP calls

River: 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif [9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif]

I bet, MP folds

Part of the reason I fired the last barrel is because I sensed some hesitation from MP on the turn.

Talk to me about my decision to check-raise and talk to me about my river bet.

balkii
02-20-2004, 11:47 PM
I dont think I would checkraise the flop. What where your thoughts on that?

River bet I like because there is a chance you are still ahead, and betting can 1) possibly make a better hand fold and 2) not make you face the uncomfortable decision of trying to snap off a bluff induced by your check. I dont know if #2 is sound logic though...

spamuell
02-21-2004, 12:05 AM
As long as you don't check-raise the flop too often without anything much, and these are the type of players who know that you could raise PF without a big pair, and then realise that you have flopped nothing and raise your flop bet, and they're also the type of players who can fold, then I think you're flop c/r is OK, providing that it isn't a standard play.

As for your river bet, it depends. If you're against a particular weak-tightie, by all means fire the last barrel. If you're against a normal type of player, I don't think I would - by my count the pot is 8BB on the river, I don't think that a better hand (that is, a pair) is going to fold 1 time in 8, if they got this far.

I think most players are likely to bet anything better than a pair, and check some small pairs here, and bet a busted straight draw some of the time, whereas you'll only be called by a hand that beats you and it's unlikely a better hand will fold. So check-call or check-fold looks better than a bet to me, call/fold depending how often your opponent might bluff, probably calling an unknown and praying for a busted straight draw.

CrackerZack
02-21-2004, 12:06 AM
I like the way you played it. how I play the flop completely depends on how I feel that instant. If I'm feeling a bit mad at the world, I check raise, if not, I bet out. either is fine. I like the fire of the last barrel after sensing hesistation. I almost like it without hesistation. I wouldn't want to fold to that ragged board so [censored] it, make the bet. 5-10 paradise huh? how are the games?

JohnShaft
02-21-2004, 12:06 AM
2) not make you face the uncomfortable decision of trying to snap off a bluff induced by your check. I dont know if #2 is sound logic though...

I don't think it is balkii. You shouldn't be uncomfortable about snapping a bluff of if you are prepared to bet. You are putting in 1BB either way. You can be uncomfortable about snapping off a bluff if you are not sure you are going to put a bet in, but not really if you are prepared too imo.

Snapping off the bluff is fine if you are putting a bet in because you win 1BB you wouldn't if you had bet (as they would fold).

The consideration here, for a bet, is can you get a better hand to fold really.

JohnShaft
02-21-2004, 12:27 AM
Hi Bottles. I like the fact you were prepared to play your hand completely differently than expected. In missing the flop you've basically hit a good flop to try what you did.

I'd want players who could lay down, if not now, on the Turn to a bet for sure. It would be also cool if I could scare weak PP's enough to fold with my PF/Flop/Turn actions representing a strong made hand.

Obviously you wouldn't be doing this very often but that's why, given the hand and conditions, it's a reasonable move.
The fact the board is 2-suited and I don't have the A of D though I think significantly worsens this from the ideal situation though. But it doesn't mean I wouldn't do it.

The river bet? Overall I wouldn't make it. You have to think you can fold a stronger hand, and I'm not that sure you can. Maybe you can though. MP could fold something like A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif with a 3 or 2.

If I thought he could fold that I'd bet.
If I thought he could bluff with a missed flush I'd check.
It's fairly close given the size of the pot.

Mike Gallo
02-21-2004, 12:36 AM
Clever title. Subtle use of KA.

Nice job. I like how you played the hand and your reasoning behind your thought process.

How come your icon went from various hot women to a scary prison man, on second thought don't answer that /images/graemlins/blush.gif

webiggy
02-21-2004, 02:40 AM
Great bluffing opportunity. You represented a flush draw brilliantly and carried it through. Good play!

Iggy

webiggy
02-21-2004, 02:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

How come your icon went from various hot women to a scary prison man..?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know that Larry David was a various hot women.., /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mike Gallo
02-21-2004, 03:51 AM
I didn't know that Larry David was a various hot women..,

I do not remember Larry David. Thanks for pointing that out to me /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Eihli
02-21-2004, 12:38 PM
I normally don't question the majority, but I don't like how you played this hand at all. Maybe 5/10 is more different than 1/2 and 2/4 than I thought. I couldn't imagine pulling this at 2/4 against typical players.

There was no chance at getting them to fold on the flop, so that c/r was purely a setup for making a play on the turn/river. But, this also builds the pot, making an incorrect fold a bigger mistake and convincing them to stay in.
The turn, I guess betting here is probably best considering your flop action.
The river, why would that guy call the turn and fold on the river? I don't see what draw he could be on(maybe chasing a backdoor flush from the flop?) and the river wasn't a card that would help any hand you were representing.

BottlesOf
02-21-2004, 04:46 PM
Seems like a diverse set of opinions. I just wanted to point out that this hand was not played entirely different from the way it is recommend in HPFAP. "You don't have to hit your hand to make check-raising the correct play. You just need to be fairly sure the flop didn't help anyone else."pp. 40-41)

The differences between the hands in this part of HPFAP and my hand are 1) I DID raise pre-flop, so I'm representing a monster as opposed to waiting until the flop to make it look like it hit my random blind hand. 2) The board is more co-ordinated than the examples in the book (2 to a flush, and an unlikely gutshot) However, considering I only had two opponentsd, I thought there was a good shot the flop had missed them.

Just some more of my thoughts...correct or not /images/graemlins/grin.gif