PDA

View Full Version : Great 4-8 Kill Hand to talk about

01-21-2002, 04:11 PM
I was at my normal loose neighborhood cardroom in Southern California. I know most of the players at the table.

4-8 game, Kill pot on the button.

7s7d in the BB with a late pre-flop raise. 7 (!) callers. The only other decent player at the table, did the raising; pretty rockish, I'd put him on no less than Q-Q.

Heres the flop: 10s-7h-8h

I bet, Seat 3 calls, Seat 4 (preflop raiser) raises, Seat 6 folds, Seat 7 (very loose calling station) re-raises, Seat 8 folds, Button (killer)calls 2 bets, I cap for value, putting the Rock in seat 4 on Cowboys or Rockets, Seat 7 on a nut flush draw, possibly the straight, and I'm clueless on the button. Seat 3 folds to 3 bets, all others call.

17 BB in the pot

Turn: 10H Completing the heart flush, but alas, I filled up and are no longer worried about the flush or straight.

After a strong exhale, I check, going straight for the checkraise, knowing the freshie is out there.

The rock checks, seat 7 checks, FINALLY, the killer on the button bets, I raise, the rock folds, Seat 7 calls.

23 BB in the pot

River Ah

I bet, Seat 7 Raises, Killer Re-raises! (bringing the total to $461 in a 4-8 game!)

Whats my play... Results to follow... Comments/Suggestions welcome and appreciated

01-21-2002, 04:48 PM
I think you are beat by tens full of aces, held by the killer. However, it's sure hard to find a reason to fold this hand, perhaps you should just cap it and throw caution to the wind. As it is here, you're getting 461:32, which is pretty darn large pot odds, I think you have to make a peace-of-mind call here. I folded the river once in a big pot because I had to call two bets cold, and my straight was only the second nut straight, and the third spade hit on the river, at which time the person who was calling all capped bets on all rounds all of a sudden raised. I ditched, he showed down two pair, and my opponent with the set took down a $220 pot in a 4-8 game. I would call if I were you, the pot is just too damn big.

Dave in Cali

01-21-2002, 06:26 PM
Definitely at least call on the river. The Ace would have slowed me down. Here's a link I saw posted on another portion of this forum that gives an excellent metaphor as to why you should call when the pot is big.