PDA

View Full Version : rooting for the underdogs

PAUL-IN
02-20-2004, 05:06 PM
27 has typically been relegated to the "bottom of the barrel" status when it comes to hole card value, for obvious reasons. it's a classic play where you take the worst and most unfavorable hand and turn it into a winner.

people sometimes get bored and like to put a show on, make things fun, and with luck, try to outflop, outturn, and outriver the other players into oblivion. i wouldn't personally do it but whoever played that hand is probably pumping gas to make back whatever he lost that night to put on that show.

it is fun to see chips sliding away from an opponent who did everything right in the hand but still lost. why? primal instincts. outdrawing happens, and we all rely on it more than we like to think. we all love an underdog who comes back to tear the bigbosses nuts off with a hatchett(figuratively speaking), and when it happens that the worst hand in fights the better hands in the game, we yipp and holler, saying how horrible or awesome that was.

Example. early position shortstack makes it 350 to go, blinds 50-100, i have KK in cutoff. folded to me, and I raise to 800. he only has about 400 left, and calls. he shows 55, and flop comes K-x-x. suddenly, the whole table goes, "tsk-tsk. runner runner quads." i'm all, "WTF??" you ALL wanna see a bad beat and be amused and disgusted at the same time? should i have been bad beat?? and, no it wasn't personal, and i didn't take it personally, but geez....

again it happened about 20 mins later, one guy limps with aces, BB checks, flops middle pair with Q7 , AA and Q7 go all in, and everyones like, "ohhhh here it comes...." then BANG, a queen hits the turn. AA is out. everyone gets a laugh. primal instincts, dude. as long as it's not us, we love seeing someone get beat by someone weaker. there are other times when the "suckout" seems to not bear any justice to anything at all. i.e. this following hand...

i get AQ middle position, UTG makes it 300 to go. blinds 50-100, i call. heads up. flop is T-x-x. he bets 100, i make it 450, he thinks, and calls. turn is K. he checks, i bet all in, he calls and shows AK. i say "good. need jack." then BANG. JACK. everyone squirms and shakes their heads. my opponent flinches like he got a knife stuck in his fat side. OOPS!
i'd like to hear other peoples bad beats, and REALLY bad beats, either given or taken!!

LetsRock
02-20-2004, 05:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it is fun to see chips sliding away from an opponent who did everything right in the hand but still lost. why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm wierd (well no maybe about it /images/graemlins/confused.gif) but I find nothing fun about watching a well played hand get pummeled by crap. Even if I'm the one doing the pummeling (desperation all-in when against the wall in a tourney). It makes me ill.

If some jerk-off, big mouth bully who got his big stack through dumb-luck is taking on a friendly player who plays well but got bad luck and is making his desperation stand, then yeah I will be rooting for the underdog (even though from a poker standpoint I'd rather see the good player lose) because it will represent a little justice.

Suck outs.. err.. suck!

bigpooch
02-20-2004, 07:18 PM
I like to see "poker justice" so much that I just simply
want to witness a bad player go broke at the table! It is
also sufficient if I see a very bad player buy in over and
over again! Am I sick? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

BaronVonCP
02-20-2004, 08:45 PM
Maybe I'm crazy, but I'd rather see a good player go broke at my table.

Al Schoonmaker
02-21-2004, 12:12 AM
Since some posters have clearly disagreed with you, you can't say that we ALL root for the underdog. However, I agree with your point about "primal instincts."
Comedians know that most of the audience wants the butt of the jokes to be someone above, not someone below. Just watch them in action. The butt of their jokes is often someone who is rich and/or powerful. It is much funnier to see a rich man fall on his face than to see a bum do it.
Regards,
Al

bigpooch
02-21-2004, 10:26 AM
Well, of course, if I am playing at a table, I prefer that
all of my opponents go broke! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

And the order they go broke might as well be one of the
most likely to encounter: weaker players bust out first
yada yada yada!

PAUL-IN
02-21-2004, 01:21 PM
yes, not ALL bad beats represent a "just" outcome, perhaps none do. but as an analogy, some movies, like Star Wars, and more recently, Seabiscuit, as well as the classic biblical "david and goliath" have the "underdog" theme as a key aspect of the story.(as an aside: actually it was discovered by biblical scholars that goliath was not fairly beaten; goliath had a rare brain disorder which placed excruciatingly painful pressure against his eyeballs, which made his vision cloudy, especially when he is in broad daylight on a hot day; david struck him down when goliath was in this condition.)

back to "primal instincts", i agree with you about comedians, and how we do like to see the biggest of all of us take a turn for the worst. it's humbling to experience, and interesting to watch.