PDA

View Full Version : 4 Bets on the Turn...

Six_of_One
02-20-2004, 04:05 PM
First of all, I'm not sure whether this post belongs here or in Small Stakes, so someone please let me know if this is the wrong place.

8-16 at the Bike last night. I hold 66 on the button after 3 limpers, and I limp as well. 6 players see the flop:
[Jc 9s 6c]

Small blind bets out, everyone calls, and I raise. Everyone calls.

Turn: Kh

I bet, SB raises. Folds around to me, and I 3-bet. The SB pauses briefly, then makes it 4 bets. I have been sitting next to him for a couple hours, and he is the 2nd tightest player at the table (after me). The only unusual thing I've noticed about his play is that he never seems to raise pre-flop, no matter what he has.

I called his raise. River is 5h. SB sags noticeably in his chair, and checks. I'm immediately suspicious, because about an hour earlier he acted upset in an exaggerated way when he hit his draw on the turn. I checked behind him.

My hand was good. Should I have bet the river? Should I have made it 5 bets on the turn? Being aggressive enough is something I struggle with, so I'd be interested to hear any opinions.

andyfox
02-20-2004, 04:16 PM
I don't think very many guys will try for a check-raise again on the river after 4-betting the turn in 8-16. (Unless mike l. was in the game.) I usually try to take the most obvious route: he 4-bet the turn, so the king probably helped him--it gave him either two pair or a straight. Now when he checks the river, the most obvious explanation is that he's afraid you have him beat.

I wouldn't have 5-bet the turn. I would have given him credit for the straight at that point. If he bets the river, I'd just call. But once he checks the river, I'd put him on two pair and value bet.

In other words, I don't put him on exactly a straight or exactly kings up or exactly anything else. I weigh all the evidence (would he bet into all those players with just a draw on the flop?; yes, he never raises pre-flop, so he could have a bigger set, but once I didn't 5-bet him on the turn, he wouldn't put me on a striaght, so why wouldn't he bet the river?) and make my best play accordingly.

Sometimes a sag is really just a sag.