PDA

View Full Version : Final post

01-20-2002, 04:31 AM
Well, there's a post below called 'bunch of hands' where there's a link to a ton of hands that I commented on and wanted further comments on. There were several questions I had included in those comments.

I got one response. I am disappointed.

Well, I still think it's a useful exercise for me and makes me a better player every time I do this. I may continue posting these to the site:

http://www.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~lovi/poker.shtml

01-20-2002, 05:00 AM
I went to the site and checked it out. But, there are just too many hands to pick one out and then make comments here on 2+2. Also, you left the hands in the annoying "internet format" rather than rewriting them in a more readable form. You're making it too difficult for us to give you constructive comments.

01-20-2002, 05:34 AM
A few comments:

If you want responses, you might keep the following in mind:

First, make it easy for people to comment. That means don't send us to another page and make us download a file which we might not have the tool to open. Post the results. Here. By doing it the way you did, you make it hard for us to have a discussion about the games you've played. Anybody who wants to follow has to hop back and forth and download your file and---bleah.

And while we're at it, second, post them in a format that's easy for people, rather than comptuers, to read. You're asking a favor. make it easy for people to grant it.

Lastly, while everyone here is happy to discuss poker here, you'll find few people who are inclined to give free lessons. While posting a few hands with specific questions is clearly the former, posting a lot of hands with only a general "here's a bunch of hands I played, what do you think?" falls dangerously close to the later. As in almost all internet forums, the more specific your question, the more responses you'll get.

You demean the group for not answering your questions. Given the fact that everyone else's questions get answered, and the hands they post get commented on, I think the fault is not with the group but in the way you asked your question.

01-20-2002, 12:28 PM

01-20-2002, 03:13 PM
I agree completely. In the past, I have asked hand posters to post only one heand in a thread and to rewrite it instead of using the Internet Format. In fact, when I see a hand in the Internet format, since my time is limited, I just skip it.

Best wishes,

Mason

01-20-2002, 03:22 PM

01-20-2002, 04:00 PM
There's another message board I frequently contribute too where we love to debate, answer questions, and help people out in the fight against ignorance.

Every so often, we get a poster in there who starts a topic with "I've always wondered about the answers to these 25 physics problems. Personally I don't think they can be solved. What do you all think?"

Or "Can anyone explain which character in Hamlet was the most ethically challeneged in 600 words or less? I'm very curious about it."

The first ten responses are always "Sorry. We don't do homework assignments for you."

The person was taking advantage of the helpful nature of the board, which is exactly what you're doing now. Don't feign shock that you're being called on it.

01-20-2002, 06:05 PM

01-20-2002, 06:07 PM
Skip the internet format and you might get more responses. People don't generally like long posts, especially if they are filled with mostly irrelevant information. The typical internet hand takes several pages, but could have been summarized in five or six lines.

Also, sometimes you post something and don't get much response. That's just how it goes. Some of what I thought were my most interesting hands got little or even no response, while some that I didn't think much of got overwhelming response. That's just the way it goes, get used to it. This is a public forum, and sometimes you don't get the responses you want, sometimes you get torn up, and sometimes shit just happens, then you die.

Dave in Cali

01-20-2002, 06:11 PM
Well, I do try to give back a little.

01-21-2002, 02:40 AM
I learned from your post that I'm too loose in the blinds.

And that I should not call a pre-flop raise with AT.

Other than that I played brilliantly

Stu

01-21-2002, 04:42 PM
Now I'll never be able to play with you again! /images/smile.gif