PDA

View Full Version : Hand analysis

jtc
02-20-2004, 02:17 PM
Could I have played this better? - I'll include what I was thinking so you can tell me if I was right or wrong.

Tight 3/6 game (usually 3 to 4 people see the flop and many hands are won without a showdown).

I'm in BB with 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif4/images/graemlins/heart.gif - three limp in, and I call (I only play one-gaps os or s if they're high cards, so the only reason I see the flop is because it's free). Flop comes 6/images/graemlins/club.gif4/images/graemlins/club.gif6/images/graemlins/spade.gif - first time I flopped a boat tonight, and I want to make some money. I'm first to act and I check (It's a tight game and I'm afraid everyone will fold if I bet. I'm hoping someone bets so I can call, this will put more $ in the pot, and hopefully give people an incentive to call my bet on the turn and river. If everyone checks, then they get a free card and I give them a chance to improve which is OK with me - I'm really hoping someone has clubs and makes a flush). Everyone does check and the turn is a 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. I bet this time since I want to get at least a couple more big bets in the pot, and everyone folds. I scoop my bet back up, and get the pot which is like $10 after the rake. I tossed my cards into the muck wondering if I should have checked again on the turn.
Any thoughts? Thanks

Morbo
02-20-2004, 03:00 PM
I think this is one of those hands where you need to just shrug your sholders and keep playing.

SpiderMnkE
02-20-2004, 03:03 PM
Bet the flop. For some reason people are less likely to put you on a 6 if you bet the flop. They will call with overcards and clubs. Everyone is waiting for the turn to see who has the 6. You told them and they listened.

jtc
02-20-2004, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the input, SpiderMnkE. I'll bet on the flop from now on.

LetsRock
02-20-2004, 04:16 PM
FWIW, I would play the hand as you did. This flop looks like a dream flop for one of the blinds. Your only hope is that someone else has a higher PP or a flush draw and are willing to bet it.

If the flop checks through, I'll usually bet the turn because I want to get something for it. If they fold now, they probably would have folded on the flop and will certainly fold on the river unless they happen to match an overcard.

This kind of flop is likely to miss everyone (especially since it hit you so hard) and there's usually not a lot you can get out of it on a tight table.

I read the "bet the flop" advice, and can't say that I agree with it in this case. Like I said this flop just wreaks of blind, and you won't get many if any calls (maybe someone has the Ace of the two suit on the board).

Ironically, if you held this hand in LP you could bet it all day because then it looks like a real estate bet. But from the blinds, I can't see getting many calls on this board. (I'll often throw out a bluff bet from the blinds on these kinds of flops.)