PDA

View Full Version : Losing money on AKo, diagnose my play? (cool hand replayer software!)

eastbay
02-20-2004, 04:50 AM
From this link, select all and copy: http://rwa.homelinux.net/ak-hands.txt

Then go to the link below, start the hand replayer, and paste the text in the window. It will play out my AKo hands this month. There's 12 of them for a total for an average loss of 2 BB/Hand according to pokertracker.

replayer page: http://teamfu.freeshell.org/replayer.html

(this seems to only work using IE as a browser. I couldn't get mozilla (netscape) to work.)

Am I misplaying big slick? Any comments on good/mediocre/terrible plays you see from me here?

Thanks,
eastbay

HajiShirazu
02-20-2004, 08:10 AM
I haven't played as many SNG's as you have more than likely, but I have won a decent amount of money at the 10 and 30 level...so I'll just throw in some random thoughts.

I wouldn't go all in preflop in the 15/30 round of a 10/1 sng with AK unless you knew the guy you were up against was crazy. Now, as it turns out, there are a lot of these types in the 10/1 games. Even then I wouldn't always do it. Lots of people like to "gamble" with hands like 77 preflop, figuring they are 53% against AK. Since you are better than these people, why reward them by giving them a 50% chance of knocking you out, so early on? Let them bust each other out. Of course later in the tournament, the chips are going in the middle every time.
Why go all in on the flop basically every time you hit it? I guess it looks like a bluff to some folk, and maybe that's your thinking. Granted, you're not going to be able to get away from TPTK in this type of game (I wouldn't be able to unless the board was terrible because too many people end up going all in with A-rag when they hit for calling to be wrong), and your stack will probably go in no matter what anyway, but I still think betting the pot gets called more often. Also consider checkraising against certain players. Many players at party will NEVER check if it is checked to them. Some will even bluff all their chips voluntarily with something like a flush draw.

eastbay
02-20-2004, 11:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't played as many SNG's as you have more than likely, but I have won a decent amount of money at the 10 and 30 level...so I'll just throw in some random thoughts.

I wouldn't go all in preflop in the 15/30 round of a 10/1 sng with AK unless you knew the guy you were up against was crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I called all-in preflop here, ever. I did push in when there was significant money on the table. The problem is that this never seems to get people to fold. I've since backed off on pushing all-in over sizable raises that early with AK.

Good point.

[ QUOTE ]

Why go all in on the flop basically every time you hit it? I guess it looks like a bluff to some folk, and maybe that's your thinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I think I did that once here. I think I was on semi-tilt at that point, after having people hit their set on the turn a few times in a row, or the like. But yeah, I agree. That was a mistake.

[ QUOTE ]

Also consider checkraising against certain players. Many players at party will NEVER check if it is checked to them. Some will even bluff all their chips voluntarily with something like a flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

I check-raised when I hit two pair. That was one of the hands I actually won.

Yep, all good points. Thanks! And is using the replayer about 1000x easier than reading those damn transcripts, or what?

eastbay

ohkanada
02-20-2004, 01:56 PM
You will get more responses if you just describe the hand. I am sure the replayer looks neat and stuff but it is more effort than most of us are willing to give free advice.

Ken Poklitar

Bozeman
02-20-2004, 05:24 PM
The call reraise in the AK AK 77 hand looks like about the worst way to play it. I always try to remember that you are not a money favorite against a lower pp and a dominated (ax, kx) hand three way. And if you are against ak and pp you are a big dog (~20% pot equity). In some cases I would have raised more, some I might have folded, and I wouldn't have made the baby checkraise with the one you won big. But it isn't even enough samples to tell whether you are playing suboptimally.

I don't really like the hand replayer,
Craig

Wake up CALL
02-20-2004, 07:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You will get more responses if you just describe the hand. I am sure the replayer looks neat and stuff but it is more effort than most of us are willing to give free advice.

Ken Poklitar

[/ QUOTE ]

Ken don't knock it till you have at least tried it once. I felt the same way initially but it really gives you a perspective you cannot describe nor glean from a simple hand history.

Please give it on shot and offer your opinion.

eastbay
02-21-2004, 12:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Ken Poklitar

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously didn't try it.

It's 12 hands, not one. There's NO WAY that you would spend less time getting more information about 12 hands reading a description, than watching in the replayer. ALL of the information is there.

It's two clicks and a "paste." How much easier could it be?

eastbay

eastbay
02-21-2004, 12:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The call reraise in the AK AK 77 hand looks like about the worst way to play it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking that I would get this heads-up, hopefully against a dominated hand. I've since learned that's not a good expectation in this spot.

[ QUOTE ]

I always try to remember that you are not a money favorite against a lower pp and a dominated (ax, kx) hand three way. And if you are against ak and pp you are a big dog (~20% pot equity). In some cases I would have raised more, some I might have folded, and I wouldn't have made the baby checkraise with the one you won big. But it isn't even enough samples to tell whether you are playing suboptimally.

I don't really like the hand replayer,
Craig

[/ QUOTE ]

You should try it on some of your own history before you dismiss it. Put it on "fast" or "blitz" and you can be reminded of a lot of information very quickly. And I know for me, at least, at several points I went "I did that? Sheesh, that was stupid!" Hopefully reinforcing in my mind my mistakes will help prevent me from making them again.

eastbay

Bozeman
02-21-2004, 01:20 PM
I am all for hand replayer resources, but this one is not very good: it is slow, especially with loading all the avatars, and it uses the ugly party interface. Pokertracker's is somewhat better. And while it is a good idea for this 12 hand thread, for your AQ hand, you should at least post a hand history as well, and best is to post a prose summary. Then people who wish to stay within the 2+2 environment can.

Craig