PDA

View Full Version : How much do I suck?

Nottom
02-19-2004, 06:30 PM
Well I successfully blew $1100 in $50 SNGs. (in less than 48hrs btw)

How bad to I have to be to achieve this feat?

LetsRock
02-19-2004, 06:45 PM
12 in a row not in the money?

Come on dude, you're good enough to know that poker happens, even to the best.

Nottom
02-19-2004, 06:46 PM
actually it would be 1 money finish out of about 25.

I don't have enough data to know my win rate and SD for SnGs, but I'd imagine that has to be pretty bad for even a medicore player.

LetsRock
02-19-2004, 06:50 PM
Well then, that proves it! You do suck! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Cheer up dude, it'll get better. I'm the biggest pessimist in the world and even I know it gets better.

TheGrifter
02-19-2004, 07:03 PM
I finished out of the money in 16/17 $11 (!!!!) SnG's at one point, and over a few hundred I'm still happy with my win% and ROI.

So yeah...anyway, losing 16 of 17 to the droolers who play 10+1's is much worse than losing 24/25 at 50+5.

But I suck, so to answer your question, since suckiness is relative, you suck less than I.

Pitcher
02-19-2004, 08:51 PM
Hi Notton,

You figured how to get to 2 + 2, can't suck that bad /images/graemlins/smile.gif
Not bragging, but I know I am one of the better Sit N Go players here. Very good ROI / percent in the money, but I had a 21 tourney streak out of the money. I never saw anything like it. At the end of it, I don't think I knew how to play poker. I posted about this awhile back. I think it was my 1st. post. So, you only have one way to go right?

I would check my game for any obvious leaks and I definitely would play tight for awhile....

Pitcher

La Brujita
02-19-2004, 08:59 PM
Nottom,

If you are running that bad you might want to consider dropping down a level or consider taking a few days off.

To lose that badly you have had horrible luck and a few days might reestablish perspective.

To figure out how good or bad you are don't concern yourself with small sample sets, but keep detailed records and track your progress.

Nottom
02-19-2004, 09:04 PM
Well considering I just depleted all the money I had in my account, I guess I have no choice but to take a break. I have a couple of days to wait for my reserve BR to make it to Neteller, so I guess I need to use this time to work on my game.

I know I'm good enough to beat the stupid things its just discouraging when you keep putting in money with the best of it and it never seems to go your way.

Losing all
02-20-2004, 12:12 AM
That's a horrible run, I'm sure you had dozens of bad beats during this streatch. Is it possible that you went on tilt? even a little can destroy my sng play. At any rate, buck up and fight another day.

MensaIQ178
02-20-2004, 03:24 AM
ya you suck.. thanks for the donation.

maplepig
02-20-2004, 03:26 AM
i hope it can make you feel any better, i had a losing streak of 24 SnGs, and net negative for 200 games. Although I have played over 3000 of them and winning good money, I still feel that the site is rigged, players are getting better and I can no longer beat the game after the losing streak. Just yesterday, I was dealt KK seven times, twice no flop, all other five times Ace flopped...

MensaIQ178
02-20-2004, 03:36 AM
keep telling yourself the site is rigged you fish. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif yum

maplepig
02-20-2004, 05:40 AM
a good improvement on 30% ROI at $100 table will certainly make me happy.

jerome baker
02-20-2004, 05:41 AM
i went through a streak of 2/26 in the money (both were 3rds). i usually place in the money at 41 %.

jerome baker
02-20-2004, 05:42 AM
what level do u play?

maplepig
02-20-2004, 05:52 AM
some 50 and some 100.

eastbay
02-20-2004, 11:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was dealt KK seven times, twice no flop, all other five times Ace flopped...

[/ QUOTE ]

The A high flops 5 times in a row is 1/1500. However, it is not "rigged."

eastbay

Peter G
02-20-2004, 12:03 PM
Didnt you consider dropping down in limits, imo there is a huge difference between the $33 and the $55. The only problem with the $33 is you get 800 chips instead of 1000.
If I loose more than 3/4 I usually play $50 nl and play like a rock, that way I dont get the pressure of having to play marginal hands because of the blinds increase.

CrisBrown
02-21-2004, 03:27 AM
Hiya Nottom,

I thought about this post for quite awhile, deciding whether and how to reply.

First, I've been there. I think every poker player has done this at least once, and those who say they haven't either haven't been playing long enough, or they're lying. And while it's obvious that you need to take advantage of this break to calm down, examine your game, and plug some leaks, there's a huge difference between honest, critical self-analysis and psychological self-abuse. I do the self-abuse thing too sometimes -- calling myself an idiot, etc. -- and my partner always steps in and tells me to stop it. So that's what I'm doing here ...

... stop beating yourself up.

Okay, you went on tilt. It happens. To everyone.

Okay, you blew your bankroll. It happens. To everyone.

You are not cursed.

You are not a moron.

You are not unworthy.

You are not a waste of life.

You just had two really bad days at poker. That's all. Nothing else. Don't make it more than it is.

Having said all of that, now that you have a few days off -- because you're waiting for a deposit to clear -- it's time to pick your game apart from the ground up. If you don't have PokerTracker, get it. If you do, study your play and look at the red numbers (where you're losing money).

Look at your starting hands played (General Tab, filter for put money in pot) and see which hands are net losers. Use the Hand Replay feature, with Pot Odds and Win Percentages on, to see where you're making -EV decisions.

Look at your Final Hands (Misc. Stats tab) and see which final hands are your big losers (probably High Card and possibly One Pair), then go through those hands (see below on that tab) one by one. Were they bad beats? Did you not protect hands strongly enough? Did you overplay marginal hands?

Then spend a few days just observing. Watch the players who are consistent winners (you probably know who they are) and see what they're doing that you weren't. Scout your opponents. As you're observing, say aloud the hands you think they're playing, and why you've made that read. If you're right, wonderful. If you're wrong, ask yourself why you misread it, and whether you could have read it correctly. (Obviously, sometimes you're just dealing with a drunk who'll play any two cards as if they're AA.)

I know you know most of this, because you're an experienced and skilled player. And this is probably pedantic as hell, and if it sounds patronizing or arrogant I apologize. It's not my intent to offend you, but rather to encourage you. I've seen you play. You're better than this losing streak. You just hit a tough couple of days and tilted.

Oh well. You're human.

In the end, the money will come and go. But who you are, as a human being, is so much more than your poker bankroll.

So ... how much do you suck?

Not at all.

Cris

Stoneii
02-21-2004, 07:00 AM
Just the two words to add Cris.

"Hear Here" (covered both spellings just in case /images/graemlins/smile.gif)

stoneii

triplc
02-24-2004, 11:56 PM
We all suck...some of us just suck less than others (this also applies to golf). I'm sure you suck less than nearly everyone. /images/graemlins/smile.gif