PDA

View Full Version : Higher Limit Holdem at Party

pabug
02-19-2004, 06:23 PM
It appears the higher limit Holdem at Party is easier to beat then the lower, the cost of chasing increases. Would like comments

scotnt73
02-19-2004, 06:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It appears the higher limit Holdem at Party is easier to beat then the lower, the cost of chasing increases. Would like comments

[/ QUOTE ]

your wrong

DarkKnight
02-19-2004, 06:27 PM
yes I recommend all newbies start at 30-60 and slowly work they way down as they master each level.

pabug
02-19-2004, 06:29 PM
Not what I mean't

EWillers
02-20-2004, 04:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
your wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

No. You're wrong.

(But he is wrong too.)

SpaceAce
02-20-2004, 05:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
yes I recommend all newbies start at 30-60 and slowly work they way down as they master each level.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, I like that /images/graemlins/smile.gif I must say, though, that the $30/$60 players really do seem to be pretty terrible except for the dozen or so obvious pros I see at the tables all the time.

SpaceAce

pabug
02-20-2004, 08:47 AM
Let me clarify what I meant. For a good player, not a new player, the higher limits do not have the same group of chasers/loose players as lower limits. I do not find as many bad beats against a 9/5 off catching a straight (example)as I do at lower limts. It costs to much to play.

Thanks

OrangeHeat
02-20-2004, 09:48 AM
Your logic has a fatal flaw. You make money in the lower limit games BECAUSE people are willing to call 2 bets with any two cards.

It is NOT easier to make money in games where more people play correctly.

These posts always come up and the answer is simple - you need to work on your game if you cannot beat a loose LL game.

Orange

Lori
02-20-2004, 11:09 AM
Let me clarify what I meant. For a good player, not a new player, the higher limits do not have the same group of chasers/loose players as lower limits. I do not find as many bad beats against a 9/5 off catching a straight (example)as I do at lower limts. It costs to much to play.

Which good player told you this?

Lori

Lori
02-20-2004, 11:16 AM
This is like saying you would rather play baseball against the best pitcher in the world than a four year old child because the child keeps throwing the ball in random places.

Lori

Michael O'Malley
02-20-2004, 11:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason that there arent as many loose/chasers at the higher limits is because they cant afford to be there.
There is not a good higher limit player that will tell you he would rather play against other good players in place of the "chasers".
I regularly play between 40/80 and 100/200 and there is no way I would run from a game that is full of loose chasers. I have many times run from a game of good players.

Michael O'Malley
02-20-2004, 11:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There is not a good higher limit player that will tell you he would rather play against other good players in place of the "chasers".

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, what i said is not totally true.
I used to play in the Bellagio 60/120 Hold'em game. During the daytime shifts the game was normally good, but not great. There was the combination of good solid players and the occasional wild touriest. Overall the game was beatable.
I had a friend that played in the game regularly and beat the game consitently.
On the weekends and on some nights (during tournaments sepecially), the game would totally change. There were many LA area players that were what I would call chasers and agressive players. I like to play in this game more than the daytime one. Instead of buying one rack and slowly making money, I would buy into the weekend game for 2 or 3 racks and totally chage my style of play.
In the daytime game I could expect to grind out a decent amount. In the night time game I expected to win big. Sure, I would book some larger loses, but overall the game at night was much more profitable.
My friend that beat the day time game never would play at night or on the weekends. I asked him once why, and he told me he was conforatable making what he was and didnt need the headache of the larger swings in the night game.
So there are good higher limit players that will pass on the looser games.

MrDannimal
02-20-2004, 01:15 PM
That's it exactly. People mistake the higher variance at the low limits as "being harder to beat". It's a result of poor understanding and lack of experience.

You need to adjust some to play the low limit games (bluffing works less, deceptive play is often a waste of time...), but you also need to change expectations.

Of course, once I've worked my roll up to be able to play 2/4 and 3/6, I'm going to totally take the opposite stance and tell people "OF COURSE you should skip .5/1 for 2/4, the games are easier because there are less suckouts!" /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just as an anecdote:

I was playing $1/$2 at Party the other day, and right around even after 2 hours. It was getting to be time for bed, I'd been up $25 and down $20 (off my $50 buy-in) at various points (in 2 hours!) but was currently within a BB of even. I get a hand in my last few where I won a $30 pot, because some goof grossly overplayed his A4s. If I have another 2 hour session where I'm down $20 (not at all hard to do) because of wacky suckouts, I'm +$10 for 4 hours (or +2.5BB/hr), but it feels different then playing each session at +$4.

DrSavage
02-20-2004, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's it exactly. People mistake the higher variance at the low limits as "being harder to beat". It's a result of poor understanding and lack of experience.

[/ QUOTE ]
I beleive the higher variance of low limits to be a misconception, in my opinion the variance of low limit games is much lower (in terms of BB) than that of higher limits. It is true that you will get sucked out on more, but every pot that you win more than makes up for it. My results at 3/6 have much lower standard deviation than 15/30. Everybody who complains that nobody ever folds doesn't know what it's like to raise with AA and just pick up the blinds over and over again.

Vazh
02-20-2004, 06:33 PM
This is one of the best analogies I've ever heard.

jedi
02-20-2004, 06:42 PM
Yikes, of course not. The chasers might win occasionally at the lower limits, but will pay you off handsomely when you win.

I had someone cold calling THREE bets on the flop with an open ended straight draw and a pair already on the board (pre-flop was unraised). If he had hit, then I'd be complaining about the suckout, but as it were, I'm loving the fact that he and one other person (with bottom pair) were willing to call the raises between the 2 people who had flopped trips with the paired board. Ultimately, I won the pot with trips, higher kicker, ramming and jamming the whole way.