PDA

View Full Version : Good holdem poker books?

k000k
02-19-2004, 03:26 PM
I'm a novice, I basically break even playing .5/1 on partypoker and pacific (after about 2000 hands). I want to keep playing .5/1 until I can measurably determine that I'm consistantly winning, then I will slowly move up limits..

I bought ITH by Hilger, and am over 1/2 thru it.. It's teaching me a great deal of things that make a lot of sense but never occurred to me. Do all the poker books have basically the same info in them? What would be a good complement to ITH, or what else would you experts recommend?

scotnt73
02-19-2004, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a novice, I basically break even playing .5/1 on partypoker and pacific (after about 2000 hands). I want to keep playing .5/1 until I can measurably determine that I'm consistantly winning, then I will slowly move up limits..

I bought ITH by Hilger, and am over 1/2 thru it.. It's teaching me a great deal of things that make a lot of sense but never occurred to me. Do all the poker books have basically the same info in them? What would be a good complement to ITH, or what else would you experts recommend?

[/ QUOTE ]

no, all books are not created equal. for a novice here are the first 3 books you should get
1)winning low limit holdem
2)winning poker for advanced players
3)theory of poker

if you STUDY these 3 books over and over while getting a little experience at the micro limits you will crush low-mid limit holdem games.

Al Mirpuri
02-20-2004, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no, all books are not created equal. for a novice here are the first 3 books you should get
1)winning low limit holdem
2)winning poker for advanced players
3)theory of poker

if you STUDY these 3 books over and over while getting a little experience at the micro limits you will crush low-mid limit holdem games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Winning Low Limit Hold'em (WLLH) by Lee Jones
Hold'em Poker For Advanced Players (HPFAP) by David Sklansky and Mason Malmuth
Theory of Poker (TOP) by David Sklansky

The law of diminishing returns: the more poker books you read the less you will get out of them. When you read your 100th poker book you will not be any wiser than when you read your 99th poker book but you'll be a hell of a lot wiser than when you read your 2nd poker book.

Advice for when you graduate to bigger games. All 2+2 books are worthwhile. Aside from 2+2 read Mike Caro (Caro's Book of Tells) and Bob Ciaffone (Improve Your Poker).