PDA

View Full Version : FPS - Medical fact sheet.

Lori
02-19-2004, 03:02 PM
FPS, or Fancy Play Syndrome is to poker players what a hamstring sprain is to an athlete, it is an unfortunate side effect of the business we are in.

The Symptoms

FPS can be difficult to detect, if you exhibit many of the following symptoms, it is possible you are suffering from acute FPS.

- Big losing streak, particuarly after a big winning streak.

- Feeling that you are just throwing money away.

- Feeling that everyone is outwitting you.

- Uncertainty about how to play TPTK on the flop.

- Having to think about every decision.

The causes of FPS

Having a dose of FPS is natural, in fact if you don't go through your poker career without a dose of FPS then you are doing something wrong.
The athlete I mentioned earlier who never gets an injury is probably not pushing himself to the limits of his game.
Never having had FPS is a similar weakness.

Typically FPS sets into the bloodstream during a good run.
You will find that you make a great play that gains you a bet and you KNEW it was going to gain you a bet.
Later in the same session you will make a good laydown because you felt you could almost see your opponents cards.
All night you will play your opponents and not your cards and you will clean up.

At this point, BEWARE, you are now ripe to catch FPS.

As with anyone, poker players have good days, bad days and great days, and the previous day was just a great day where everything seemed crystal clear.
Attempting to repeat this will result in confusion and loss of bankroll.
Not only this, but other people can see you have FPS.
Your pets know when you are depressed, your poker enemies know when you have FPS, it's simple.

Last night you played a hand against a guy who always bets unless he has a monster.
You had AJ in the big blind and called his raise.
On the A29 rainbow flop you checked to him and he checked and you check folded the turn.
He flashed AAA.
This was good play, you knew 100% that you were beat.
You did this because he had chronic FPS.
Make that play when it is not appropriate, no matter how much you enjoyed it, and it will be YOU that sticks out a mile, not your opponents.

Identification of FPS

If you are exhibiting symptoms of FPS the odds are you either have it, or its distant relative TILT.
To identify whether you have FPS take a hand history sample to your local SS clinic and ask the good doctors there for analysis.
Sometimes discovering you have FPS can be a little painful, but the pain passes as you enter the treatment phase.

Treatment of FPS

There are several treatments for chronic FPS, all in their experimental stages.

A course of ABC - Miss the 'D' out of your game for a session or two if you have had a terrific run. You are probably about to suffer a dose of FPS

A day off - let the recent ups and downs leave your memory so you are fresh to play your best game once more.

A drop in limits/change of opponents - change your routine and make the brain function again.
FPS breeds on habit, if it can work itself into your habitual play it will expand to your entire bankroll.
Keep your brain functioning.

Recovery

95% of FPS sufferers who seek help in the appropriate places make a full recovery.

FPS KILLS ROLLS, BE ON GUARD

Lori

Festus22
02-19-2004, 03:28 PM
I believe I'd like to see some case histories of just what constitutes FPS versus good poker (GP).

Would something like betting out into a field of 4 limpers with 4-4 on a 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif flop qualify as FPS or GP?

Lori
02-19-2004, 03:30 PM
I'll leave that one to the doctors I think.

Lori /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Lori
02-20-2004, 12:17 PM
To those concerned:

Rant #5 will be available next week.

Lori