PDA

View Full Version : Poker Tracker Stats -- Executive Summary

ComedyLimp
02-19-2004, 09:36 AM
Hi,

(Not sure if this is the correct forum or this).

I am interested in the best way to sum up a players characteristics from their poker tracker stats. I.e. to rate them in terms of loose/tight and passive/aggressive in something like Al Shoonmaker's scale (ie "1,9", etc).

For a loose/tight rating VP$IP seems a pretty good and reliable indicator which is straightforward enough. For passive/aggressive though it seems not so clear cut. Originally I was going to use PFR% except this obviously ignores post-flop play. Then I noticed that the latest version of PT now has a thing called "Aggression Factor" -- which is (bet% + raise%) / Call% and PT notes that this gives a figures where passive > 0.7 and aggressive > 1.5 (The formula and figures come from a repsected PT user). This seems to be just what I want, except that I wonder why pre-flop figures are included which seem to greatly skew the numbers.

Anyway, my questions are:

-- How valuable do people think this AF figure is?

-- Would it make more sense to calculate AF for post-flop play and use PFR% for pre-flop play. If so how can these best be combined into an overall rating for passive/aggressive.

-- Can anyone suggest a other possibly better ways of rating passive/aggressive play.

The reason for all this is that I have a little program that analyses the players in my database and inserts a one line summary into the start of that player's PT notes. I can then export it to Party's notes file and have all my known opponents rated and this rating available at the table (so to speak) via the popup notes tooltip.

Obviously this is not as good as PT's Game Time window but it's a great help when scouting tables to play, when new players sit down during a game and when multi-tabling (not that I do this a lot) and lots of game time windows become a problem.

Thanks in advance.
Matthew

Lori
02-19-2004, 09:48 AM
MS Sunshine's posts in this thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=inet&Number=532520&Forum=i net&Words=ms%20sunshine&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Sear chpage=0&Limit=25&Old=1week&Main=530714&Search=tru e#Post532520) may help you to get started.

Lori

ComedyLimp
02-19-2004, 10:09 AM
Lori -- I already got that one. In fact its where I got the idea and where I started from.

Thanks.

Twan
02-19-2004, 10:15 AM
The reason for all this is that I have a little program that analyses the players in my database and inserts a one line summary into the start of that player's PT notes. I can then export it to Party's notes file and have all my known opponents rated and this rating available at the table (so to speak) via the popup notes tooltip. [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This program that inserts the one line summary into thepokertracker notes, did you write that yourself?? Is it possible to get this program somewhere?? It would save me, and I would imagine many other 2 +2ers, ALOT of work if I (we) could have this program.

regards,
Twan

Twan
02-19-2004, 10:16 AM
ops, sorry. That was the first time I "quoted".

Tsushima
02-19-2004, 10:19 AM
Poker Tracker is a great piece of software.

I really like your idea of an executive summary. I already add to the notes field information on VIP, pre-flop raising and examples of the type of raising hands, check raising etc. For instance, I find it particularly useful to know that in 200 hands a person has never check-raised. I also track when people fold in terms of flop, turn and river so you know when your best chance of carrying out a bluff might be. Some people seem to fold on the flop or not all all while others fold half the time if bet into on the river, etc.

The one thing I would really like to see in poker tracker is to know what people raised with post-flop in the same way as pre-flop. This would be very useful in determining the raising requirements or bluff percentage of individual players. Using the same format as the pre-flop hands list, if the PT software could show the board and hole cards (where known) when someone raised plus the ability to sort by the type of hand (flush draw, outside straight draw, top pair, etc) it could be very profitable.

The post flop aggression statistics seem OK but the pre-flop one probably needs a different formula or just use the PFR stats.

If you do come up with a way of creating the summary you mentioned, could you make that generally available or would it cause a copyright problem?

Tsushima

ComedyLimp
02-19-2004, 10:49 AM
I'd be more than happy to make it generally available although I have little interest in providing support or developing the thing much beyond my own needs.

With regard to a lot of the detailed calculations and analysis I think that's probably best left to PT itself which already works out most of the basics and you should raise it with 'ptrack pat' himself (who seems very responsive to his users' needs). My main interest is getting a decent high level read on a player that is as reliable as possible, covers the most important aspects of play and can be summarised in as brief a form as possible.

Matthew

PS Prices are as follows:

-- Ordinary decent 2+2ers: FREE!!!
-- Scum-sucking pondlife afflitates: £1000
-- Anyone associated with winholdem: ONE MILLION POUNDS

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

ComedyLimp
02-19-2004, 07:38 PM
<Shameless bump>