PDA

View Full Version : BB Raises

rayrns
02-19-2004, 06:10 AM
HPFAP recommends that you sometimes raise from the Blinds with hands like QJs, A5s and small pairs when the players in front of you have just limped in pre-flop. I am guessing this is done mainly to pump the pot and not for deception and you do not anticipate a raise behind you.

These would not be hands that you would normally play from EP. Is it because you have to worry about a raise behind you? And if you did enter with them for a raise it would be more for deception than pumping the pot?

Would you maybe be better off just limping in, from the blinds, and then if you hit the flop try for a check/raise. It would put the same amount of money in the pot. Less any players that fold on the flop but at least you know that you have some sort of hand.

Or am I just missing the whole point of why to play these hands as suggested?

JustPlayingSmart
02-20-2004, 03:48 AM
I think this is recommneded because these hands do well in multiway pots. If you raise with A5s with many limpers and flop the nut flush draw, you will have odds to try to hit your flush. However, I think the more important thing is that you probably have the strongest draw of anyone at the table, which means you are typically not worried about giving yourself odds to draw. I think that raising gives other players the odds to chase draws much inferior to yours, like gutshots, 2 pair/trips draws, etc. If you hit your draw and they hit theirs, you not only get the bets they put in trying to hit their draw, but they will almost certainly pay you off (and maybe even raise) on the river if they hit their draw.

Joe Tall
02-20-2004, 09:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
sometimes raise from the Blinds with hands like QJs, A5s and small pairs when the players in front of you have just limped in pre-flop

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't raise A5s too often maybe after one terrible limper, but now and then I will raise QJs as you can build a good pot and get away from this hand fairly easy out of position, as the same for a small pocket pair would be flop a set or fold. I do this when I'm 100% sure there will not be a limp-re-raise.

[ QUOTE ]
I am guessing this is done mainly to pump the pot and not for deception

[/ QUOTE ]

Consider this: You are playing at the same table with me, ray, and you see me raise out of the BB after 2 limpers and show down a winner w/JTs. Then an hour later I raise out of the BB in nearly the same situation. What are you putting me on? (I hold AA this time) Deception is achieved.

After a few weak limpers QJs, A5s, 77 are the probably the best hands if you have weak opponents is limping w/T9o, etc.

Peace,
Larry Joe