PDA

View Full Version : Another hand

Nottom
02-19-2004, 05:34 AM
Party $50 - NL

50/100 blinds. 6 left, nobody in any immenent danger of busting out.

I have around 2500 chips and make it 350 to go with TT UTG.

Bigstack has me barely covered and calls from the BB.

Flop is 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. (I have the T /images/graemlins/heart.gif)

BB bets 100, I make it 800. She goes all-in.

I have around 1400 left and there is like 3600 in the pot. What do I do?

Nottom
02-19-2004, 07:04 PM
nobody? /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Pitcher
02-19-2004, 08:06 PM
Hi Nottom,

My first impulse is to call. Fortunately, the all in bet would make me take a 10 second time out and try to see if I have a solid read. You don't give any history, and if I didn't have a solid read, I would fold. (Of course, your opponent my have a hand like A-9.......or worse a 4 flush...yuck). Here is why. First, this player simply called your 3.5x BB bet. Then they bet out only 100 chips. This teaser looks like a weak bet that someone trapping might use to induce a big raise. It looks too much like a trap to me.

Pitcher

La Brujita
02-19-2004, 08:11 PM
These are my general comments.

1. I think you may have overplayed you tt here. I usually would flat call pre flop in ep with the tens but a raise seems reasonable. Seems like 250-300 would accomplish the same as the raise to 350 and save you a few chips.

I have a hard time putting people who flat call on hands or even understanding the thought process. It rarely seems like a play that makes sense to me. That being said could a flat call indicate QQ and is scared of a bigger pair or Ak and she wants to see the flop?

I have no idea why anyone would bet 100 into a 900 chip pot unless they were testing you and ready to fold to a reraise or trying to milk a set. Or perhaps trying to buy a freecard on the turn on a flush draw?

Not sure what to say when she goes all in on the reraise. The play of the hand from her end is very odd.

My best guess is an overpair or a set and I would probably let go of the tens even given the pot odds.

Take this fwiw, the hand has an odd feel to it if you know what I mean.

Regards

CrisBrown
02-19-2004, 09:59 PM
Hi Nottom,

I smell an overpair (probably QQ or JJ), or a set. I think she'd have reraised on KK, as only one hand would worry her (AA). But QQ or JJ might well be worried about pushing all-in pre-flop vs. AK, and rather than flip the coin pre-flop, she decided to see if an A or K hit before teasing you all-in. Similarly, she might have called with a lower pair -- not a great play, usually, but it happens -- and has spiked the set.

Regardless, I think your beaten here, and I'd muck.

Cris

Nottom
02-20-2004, 01:21 AM
Well, I just had this feeling I was ahead. Wasn't sure how far, but for some reason I just wasn't getting the "slow-play" vibe.

I called. The turn was a heart and she took it down with her flush.

MensaIQ178
02-20-2004, 03:23 AM
EASY CALL- comon, thats a preschool move.

M.B.E.
02-20-2004, 11:27 AM
Did she have a gutshot along with the flush draw?

Nottom
02-20-2004, 12:16 PM
No, she had K4s. So she did have an overcard.

M.B.E.
02-20-2004, 01:08 PM
Hmm, I was going to say that the big blind's play was not bad if she had a flush/gutshot draw like Ah-6h or a flush-draw/one-pair hand like Ah-7h, or even a flush-draw/overcards like Ah-Jh. (Some people might say that with any of these hands she should not have called your preflop raise. I think that under the circumstances calling your raise from the BB with AJs would be okay, and calling with A6s or A7s incorrect but not terrible.)

But with Kh-4h she certainly should have folded preflop, and given that she didn't, she should either have bet out the flop with a real bet or checkfolded.

That said, if I had been in your shoes I would find it hard to put her on anything but a set, and would reluctantly have folded on the flop to save my last 1400.