PDA

View Full Version : Help! need some advice on how to play preflop!!!

Yahve
02-19-2004, 04:21 AM
Hi all!!

First! Im sorry for my bad english, its my second language...

Ok, im playing pot limit one table tournament at party poker and i will tell you how im playing the preflop until today... I always slow play my big hand early in the tournament, like KK, QQ, JJ, AKs, instead of AA because i think theres always too many callers and im busted by a draw or two pair.. I usually had good result, finishing 50% of the time in the money...

This nigth i tried to change my strategy and play aggressivly AA, KK ,QQ, JJ, AKs. Im playing on 10+1 single table and theres what happened :

Blind 10/15, i raised the pot to 90 ( max i can ) with AKs and one player reraise to about 300, so i push in and he had QQ, im beaten.... same thing for the second tournament!

The third tournament i had 1150 in chips, blind is 50/100 and i raised the max i can with KK and the player at my left reraised me to 600, i push in again, he beat me with J-10o ( full house ) flop was J-J-10...

im woundering if i played these hand correctly, if i would be advantaged on the long run.... i lost three tournament with these big hands, i tought if i had played this hand more conservatively as i usually do i would survive long enough to go in the money... tell me if im wrong, i need some advice.. how are you playing preflop /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Nottom
02-19-2004, 04:34 AM
AKs is a tricky hand to play correctly in big bet poker. With such small blinds I'm not ready to push all my chips in preflop just yet.

In the second case, forget about the results. You have KK, if you opponent showed you his JTo and said he was willing to go all in with it would you do anything differently? You are going to win this the vast majority of the time, so don't let the results sway you. If you can get all-in with KK preflop by all means do so.