PDA

View Full Version : Bad Night at foxwoods 5-10

Klepto488
02-19-2004, 12:33 AM
It started off good, AA on the first hand and then a set on the flop, a nice check raise ensured two callers on the river but it was all down hill from there. Im a college student who plays poker for income, but after that hand I suffered a bad beat that drained the 200 I brought to play
I had 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif5 /images/graemlins/club.gif in the pocket in middle position. I call about 5 people in the hand. Flop comes out q /images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, i bet and get raised, I make it three and he caps. Four /images/graemlins/club.gif falls on turn then the river pairs 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. He bets on turn and I raise and he calls. The river he bets and I raise again, after this raise I realize that this guy was gonna flip two bitches(queens) and that exactly what he did. Hands like these is what has paid for my spring break and bought my girlfirend gifts. Did I play it wrong?, Was i wrong to assume that he didnt have queens, should i have folded? or just called to whole way, I didnt go on tilt after but i failed to regain any momentum? any tips on the hand or what you should do after a bad beat and you dont have much money left?

BottlesOf
02-19-2004, 12:41 AM
Take a break if you feel like you're going to tilt. This past weekend, I played 16 hours of FW 5/10 Kill. I lost $350. I was better than nearly all the players I played against. It happens. I had some bad beats that I won't bore you with. I also misplayed some hands. On my last hand I tilted and got luck, but I realize I was on tilt and made that my last hand. Disicpline is a critical aspect of being a winning player.

Also, $200 is a little short for the 5/10 kill. Maybe give the 4/8 a shot?

bicyclekick
02-19-2004, 12:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It started off good, AA on the first hand and then a set on the flop, a nice check raise ensured two callers on the river but it was all down hill from there. Im a college student who plays poker for income, but after that hand I suffered a bad beat that drained the 200 I brought to play
I had 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif5 /images/graemlins/club.gif in the pocket in middle position. I call about 5 people in the hand. Flop comes out q /images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, i bet and get raised, I make it three and he caps. Four /images/graemlins/club.gif falls on turn then the river pairs 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. He bets on turn and I raise and he calls. The river he bets and I raise again, after this raise I realize that this guy was gonna flip two bitches(queens) and that exactly what he did. Hands like these is what has paid for my spring break and bought my girlfirend gifts. Did I play it wrong?, Was i wrong to assume that he didnt have queens, should i have folded? or just called to whole way, I didnt go on tilt after but i failed to regain any momentum? any tips on the hand or what you should do after a bad beat and you dont have much money left?

[/ QUOTE ]

Prolly want to bring more then 200 to play 5/10. It's not the worst, but you cant play comfortably and handle things like losing that full under full stuff much.

What's your bankroll look like?

Dynasty
02-19-2004, 04:01 AM
When you flop set under set, you should expect to lose lots of chips. It's probably the costliest situation you can get into and there's very little you can do about it.

Bottlesof,

I couldn't believe it when they whacked Adebisi.

Dispatch
02-19-2004, 04:38 AM
Tough beat, no doubt. That stuff happens.

what you need to do after a beat like that is assess the damage. There's blood in the water - your's. Even bad players can smell it. Sometimes the predator becomes the prey.

They say you should stay at a table as long as you still have an edge, and in the long run you very well may have it on the players at your table. But in any one session hands like that can cause a temporary shift in your "edge". Players sense your "luck" may be off and will call more hands on you than warranted which equals more suck-outs.

It sucks being the prey, whether warranted or not. It's tough to do, but if losing the hand hit you in the gut that hard, you have to get up and leave to fight - and win - another day.

Easy to say, tough to do.
Good luck.

Sir Limps Alot
02-19-2004, 02:44 PM
Stop bringing a knife to a gun fight

biggambler
02-19-2004, 02:56 PM
You have to get the most you can out of the few times that you flop a set. Don't worry about thoses times that you get beat set over set, it is rare. You will make more money if you bet them as hard as you can.

The Bear
02-19-2004, 03:33 PM
You played your set fine. You're supposed to lose a lot of chips in this spot. You should never be folding this hand in that game. Incidentally, what makes you put this guy on QQ? There was no preflop raise, after all. It doesn't sound like he was in the BB, and I know of very few players who would not raise preflop w/ QQ. I would expect to be shown Q8 here much more often. Of course, that doesn't matter since you were beat by that also, but the point is that you should work on your hand-reading skills.

[ QUOTE ]
what you should do after a bad beat and you dont have much money left?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have two suggestions here. First, never, ever, ever sit in the 5/10 Kill at Foxwoods w/ only $200 to play with. That game can stay on the kill for over a half hour at a time, meaning that you're playing w/ 10 bets. You can blow that off easily in one hand. Even if you're playing 5/10 80% of the time, you still don't have nearly enough money to be sitting. $200 for the 4/8 Foxwoods is probably adequate, but you can expect to blow that off some days also.

Second, when you take a beat that cripples your stack and you don't have money to rebuy, leave the game. Sit in the 2/4 or go home. Playing poker w/ a critically short stack is hopeless and pointless. Don't do it.

Edit (addition): You didn't take a bad beat; you were crushed the entire way.

anatta
02-19-2004, 03:43 PM
I almost always run out of the cardroom when I get a beat like this. I may come back and play, most of the time I cash out. I remember a great game, horrible players, when I got back to back flopped flush and trips beat, both in kill pots. I played 15 minutes that day. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

mosch
02-19-2004, 05:11 PM
One reason not to take a break immediately is that if the deck hits you hard at that moment, people are VERY likely to assume you're steaming, and give you tons of action.

Of course if you actually are steaming, best to go do something else for a bit.