PDA

View Full Version : Doc River's Guy

02-04-2002, 03:42 AM
About a year ago, Doc River posted about a very loose and inexperienced player in the 80 holdem game at the commerce. I had played with this guy, but hadn't seen him for quite a while.

Lately, I've been playing with him regularly, and have learned a little about him. Doc wrote about him because he plays almost every hand, has no respect for a raise, and usually calls to the river. Sometimes, he can be very hard to beat.

He is without a doubt one of the worst poker players I have ever seen. But since I have been playing a lot with him, I have come to know a little more about him. He is Russian, wealthy, and very intelligent.

Something that struck me today was when he had made a money-line bet on the Patriots with another player. At the half, the player who had the Rams asked about a deal to get out of the bet. Doc's guy immediatley told him exactly what the bet was worth at that point, and why.

I couldn't understand how someone could have such a complete grasp of expected value of a sports bet, but was completely clueless about holdem hands.

I suspect it's only a matter of time before he applies his obvious abilities to poker theory. But until then, he's welcome in my game anytime.