PDA

View Full Version : 3-handed...stack size question

foobar
02-18-2004, 11:09 AM
hey all,

3-handed in 9 person $30 S&G on stars last night. Blinds at 200/400 25 ante. I'm short-stacked w/ T2330 before blinds. Other two players, let's call them "midstack" and "bigstack" are T4240 and T6930.

I catch TT in the BB, midstack folds the button. Bigstack, who's been stealing all night, takes another stab and makes it T800 to go from the SB. I'm happy, mean to raise all-in, but don't slide the slider bar the full way, so make it T1600 to go. Bigstack calls.

Flop comes Qd 3d 9h

He puts me in, I call.
Board ends up Qd 3d 9h 5h Jc

bigstack turns over 9s Jd to make his rivered two pair good.

A couple of questions, in a couple of parts /images/graemlins/smile.gif

1)He's got 2 BB in the pot before I come over the top preflop, is his call for 2 more BB justified? A couple of things I've been thinking about when noodling this one are:
a)He's really calling me down for all my chips, as there's no way I'm sticking around w/ ~T700.
b)If he calls and doubles me up, he's essentially giving all 3 players exactly even stacks. To me this seems like something he'd be hesitant to do. On the other hand, blinds are a pretty big percentage of stacks at this point...maybe he makes the call because the benefits of him playing heads up w/ considerable separation between him and midstack outweigh the drawbacks of playing 3-handed w/ even stacks?

2)Anybody think my accidently non-all-in preflop stopped me from taking down the pot then and there?

Thanks for input.

Al_Capone_Junior
02-18-2004, 11:46 AM
The way it happened, there was 3200+ on the flop and you bet 700, which gave him good enough odds to draw to his hand. Therefore the only chance you had of forcing him to either fold or make a mistake was before the flop. Gotta pay attention to the slide bar thingie. That has bitten me before too.

al

foobar
02-18-2004, 11:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The way it happened, there was 3200+ on the flop and you bet 700, which gave him good enough odds to draw to his hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps I should clarify...I understand the postflop play was a no-brainer for both of us...was curious only about preflop action. Thanks.