PDA

View Full Version : Wild 6-12 game, hand #2

01-14-2002, 12:51 PM
I was holding AdJc in the SB. Six people called. I completed. BB checked.

Flop: 3s 5h Js

I bet. MP called. LP called.

Turn: [3s 5h Js] 7h

I bet. MP folded. LP raised. I called.

River: [3s 5h Js] 7h 2h

I checked. LP bet. I called. LP won with KhJh.

Should I have called the river here?

01-14-2002, 12:59 PM
"Should I have called the river here? "

Yes. You can't fold here.

Regards

01-14-2002, 03:26 PM
Yeah, you have to call the river in lower limit games. You'll be amazed at what people show you sometimes. Again, in these passive games, you may want to think about check-raising the flop more often with vulnerable hands like top pair.

Then again, what do I know.

Rube

01-14-2002, 03:35 PM
hafta call. cant always be afraid of the running flush. i woulda went for the checkraise on the flop but betting out isnt bad either. thats one way to make the sb work for ya. i also may have been thinkin str8, 6-4s, on river. it is possible. but i still woulda called

b

01-14-2002, 08:32 PM
I agree that check-raising the flop is probably better in this hand. At the time, I bet out because I have a pretty tight image, and I basically wanted everyone to fold by betting from early position. I was thinking that check-raising in this spot might just build a bigger pot for people to chase while not getting anyone to fold. It probably would've saved me a SB though, as I doubt that my opponent would have raised me on the turn after a check-raise.

01-14-2002, 10:04 PM
Hi Jen,

I haven't read the other responses yet, but here's my take.

Preflop the call in the SB is fine. On the flop, however, I think I might go for the check raise, since by your earlier description of the game, it seems likely that the flop would get bet. I want to clear the deadwood and take control of the hand ASAP. Betting out would be my second choice with this board, and might become preferable in more passive games.

Leading on the turn is fine. Against predictable (weak tight in particular) opponents folding could even be correct here. However, against trickier opponents (as LP demonstrates himself to be by the end) calling down becomes preferable. Basically you minimize losses while behind, but give your opponent enough rope to hang himself if he continues to take shots with the second best hand.

On the river, you are getting around 10.5 to 1 on a call. Are you 91% sure that you are beat? If your opponent is sufficiently tricky, I'd say that you can't be altogether certain where you stand, and should pay off.

It turns out you ran into an opponent capable of a semi-bluff raise on the turn when he picks up a flush draw. Keep this in mind when playing against this opponent in the future ...

Dave

01-15-2002, 02:08 AM
I don't consider my opponent to be very tricky. I think he was misjudging my hand as was confirmed after the hand was over in which he was telling others around him that he thought he had the best hand with the K kicker (I think he would've been surprised to see my AJ, but I didn't show it).

I put him on KJ, QJ (with a possible flush draw) or two-pair (I've seen this guy play virtually any two cards). The thing about the flush draw is that if he had the spade draw, he probably would've raised the flop. By raising on the turn, he probably either had the heart draw or two-pair. I can't see him showing KJo or something similarly weak which is why I'm questioning my river call.

01-15-2002, 03:55 AM
the checkraise wouldnt build the pot if the bet came from the right of ya. it would force people to call 2 cold between ya while taking control of the pot. if the bet comes on the left, yeah people will call, but a raise and another possible reraise by the bettor oughtta knock some people out too. some will fold even if he only calls your raise. experiment with the checkraise from the sb or bb, basically when your first to act with a top pair or even 2 pair with a draw possible. especially if you have an aggressive player to your right, youll love the results if it starts workin for ya. again though, its not by any means wrong to just bet out, its just more powerful to check raise.

b

01-15-2002, 04:36 AM
Jen,

He had to be calling you flop bet with something. when he raises on the turn, I think there are 4 possibilities 1) a set, 2) two pair, 3) a straight, and 4) top pair with a back door flush draw. You might have let go of the hand right then, but he did have the possibility where you were still ahead and you called. When the flush hits on the river, you are behind all 4 possibilities, and I think you got to let it go.

good luck,

Bob T.

01-15-2002, 04:44 AM
I made my comments assuming play from a generic LL opponent. If think he is aggressive enough to make this play with QJ or KJ, I think you have to call.

good luck again,

Bob T.