PDA

View Full Version : Pushing in 9's on first hand - what do you think of this move?

eastbay
02-18-2004, 02:01 AM
Just played a $20 sat. for a weekday super on PP. Lasted one hand, but I think I'd play it the same way again.

First hand, I get 9's in MP and limp in with about 3/4 of the table. Flop comes 457 with two clubs. I make a pot sized bet, and two players after me throw half their stacks in.

I think to myself "one guy's got a flush draw, and one guy's got a straight draw. I'm all-in."

So I push in, get called by both, and lo and behold, my read was correct. But that didn't stop the straight from coming in on the turn card.

Still, I think I made the right play here. What do you think?

eastbay

twistedbeats
02-18-2004, 10:06 AM
yup. good read

Vince Lepore
03-03-2004, 10:08 AM
If there is a straight and a flush draw out against you and only one over card you are a dog. I think you should muck to the bet. One player could have had T,T or 5,5, or ... You played your 9,9 as if you knew you needed to flop a set or fold well...

Vince

GoSox
03-03-2004, 02:35 PM
Horrible call. First few levels you could be up against anything. And worst of all you correctly assumed a flush and straight draw and still called ! Not only are you dogged but you put the entire tourney on the line well before your stack required it.

eastbay
03-03-2004, 09:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Horrible call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't call.

eastbay

GoSox
03-03-2004, 10:05 PM
Horrible decision. Are you able to understand my post now ?

William
03-03-2004, 10:22 PM
Well, I hope you will enjoy your one hand just as much next time /images/graemlins/grin.gif

eastbay
03-03-2004, 10:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Horrible decision. Are you able to understand my post now ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't have any trouble understanding your post. You seemed to have trouble understanding mine, however.

Ok, you think it's terrible. Why? I might even agree, but it depends on the reasoning.

eastbay

Moonsugar
03-04-2004, 12:23 AM
Just cause your read was right doesnt make the play right. That 'read' is going to be off 99% of the time. You just happened to be playing with total bozos. And their 2 hands combined make you a dog!

And, once you push in they are getting the right price to call cause your stacks are so short. The only really bad move was the first reraise. That and your all in.

Easy fold.

eastbay
03-04-2004, 12:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just cause your read was right doesnt make the play right. That 'read' is going to be off 99% of the time. You just happened to be playing with total bozos.

And, once you push in they are getting the right price to call cause your stacks are so short. The only really bad move was the first reraise. Well, that and your all in.

Easy fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it comes down to whether you think you can get somebody to fold rather than play 3-way all-in on a draw. I guess with half stacks in, it's very unlikely to get one of them to fold, so it was a bad play.

If there's a decent chance someone would fold, I think it's an easy push because I'm getting 3-1 on a good deal of my money as either a favorite or a coin flip.

But, they're both gonna call here, so it's a loser. I agree. I dunno, unless the first raise was a stone bluff, but you can't count on that.

eastbay

Moonsugar
03-04-2004, 12:37 AM
You are getting 2:1 or so on a coin flip, more or less. So, mathematically it was a 'good' bet if they both call. But the problem is: you got all your chips in when you were not a favorite.

One thing could make it a good bet: if you think that the advantage of having 3x the chips of everyone else gives you a better than 37.5% (like 50+%) chance of winning the tourney then I think you made the right bet. But you didn't mention that logic in your post so I assume that is not what you were thinking.