PDA

View Full Version : Flopped set/turned underboat with heavy resistance

bdk3clash
02-17-2004, 11:59 PM
No real read on MP1. What's your move on the turn (and river) when confronted with MP1's turn 3-bet?

Party Poker 2/4 (10 handed)
bdk3clash has 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif and is MP3

EP2 limps, MP1 limps, MP2 limps, bdk3clash limps, CO limps, Button folds, SB limps, BB checks

Flop(7 SB): 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB checks, BB checks, EP2 checks, MP1 bets, MP2 folds, bdk3clash raises, CO folds, SB folds, BB folds, EP2 calls, MP1 3-bets, bdk3clash caps, EP2 calls, MP1 calls

Turn(9 1/2 BB): 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif

EP2 checks, MP1 bets, bdk3clash raises, EP2 folds, MP1 3-bets, bdk3clash...

symphonic
02-18-2004, 12:01 AM
Raise Raise Raise!!!

bdk3clash
02-18-2004, 12:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise Raise Raise!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Why? Why?

HajiShirazu
02-18-2004, 12:07 AM
Now, let's think about this. Would he cap the flop with just middle pair, and is now going nuts with just trips? Doubtful. What can he have that is putting up this kind of action? Most likely is A8, or 86, maybe even AA (hey, I've seen it.) Just call down.

bdk3clash
02-18-2004, 12:12 AM
Good post, HajiShirazu.

Symphonic, I'm not saying your thinking is wrong! wrong! wrong!, but without knowing your thoughts, your post is kind of, well, useless.

bdk3clash
02-18-2004, 03:14 AM
I called. I figured the chances my opponent flopped two pair and now had a (higher) boat were enough to just call down after his 3-bet. I planned on calling the river unimproved, but...the river was the case 6. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cap-a-rooney. My opponent had A8.

Good read, Haj. Symphonic--if I had capped the turn, how many bets was I supposed to go on the river? Cap again? Or do I slow down at some point? I'm still awaiting your explanation. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

BaronVonCP
02-18-2004, 03:24 AM
nice catch.

But really overplayed on the turn.

Can you think of a hand that your opponent would have put that many bets on both the flop and turn with, that you beat?

I can't.

but its already been said.

P.S.
River was played perfectly.

symphonic
02-18-2004, 03:25 AM
Haha, I don't have much explanation. Knowing most party players i'd of put him on an Ace with a high kicker. I don't know, when I get boats, I tend to get far too aggressive. haha

bdk3clash
02-18-2004, 03:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
nice catch.
But really overplayed on the turn.
Can you think of a hand that your opponent would have put that many bets on both the flop and turn with, that you beat?
I can't.
but its already been said.
P.S.
River was played perfectly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeez--one bet on the turn and I have to call down with my boat? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Does anyone else think I overplayed my hand by raising his turn bet?

Also, I notice that you posted after I posted the results. ("Nice catch.") Is it possible you're being results-oriented (perhaps subconsciously) in your recommendation on my turn play?

Or do I just suck? Both are certainly possible. In fact, the latter strikes me as downright likely. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

asdf1234
02-18-2004, 04:02 AM
I think you played it fine. It's entirely possible that the other player was raising on the flop with something like AK or top pair with a flush draw or something other than two pair (wouldn't you do the same?). The reraise on the turn is probably the point where you need to start thinking that you're beaten. The river was a nice catch, though /images/graemlins/wink.gif

BaronVonCP
02-18-2004, 06:15 AM
Nah I had my thoughts together before he had posted.

Party is fairly loose passive, and when someone caps the flop and bets out on the turn, I generally give them credit for at least 2 pair/set. (which turned into boat)

I just don't see much point in raising the turn. It'll be really hard to get paid off by a worse hand.

bdk3clash
02-18-2004, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just don't see much point in raising the turn. It'll be really hard to get paid off by a worse hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

A/images/graemlins/diamond.gifX/images/graemlins/diamond.gif doesn't pay me off?

And that's assuming my opponent is reasonable, which is a costly mistake to make at Party $2-4. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

tripdad
02-18-2004, 04:21 PM
you played this perfectly--turn raise and all. he could have had A-6 for all you knew. the only way to find out was to raise. when he 3-bets, you call, unless he's a maniac, then you cap.

i think you should give party 2/4 players more credit than you apparently do, though, unless they prove otherwise during play. if you don't, you may run into me one night and get taken out to the shed. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

cheers!