PDA

View Full Version : backdoor ahoi!

WyattErb
02-17-2004, 11:54 PM
20-40, limit holdem! i am in the BB and get J /images/graemlins/diamond.gifJ /images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3 limpers, sb calls, I think about raising, but i check!(bad play)

the flop comes Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif and 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif...i bet, all fold except one guy i know as a fair player, who raises me...the sb folds, i think about it, and call.

Turn, another /images/graemlins/diamond.gif shows up, so i got a flush draw, i check, he bets, i call.

River is another /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, i bet, he calls and shows me QJo....and tells me that i did a very bad play, by calling him.
was my play really that bad? i mean, he was in the last position, i had him on a bluff...and i did have some "backdoor" outs, in case he really has that Q...any comments?

Kenshin
02-18-2004, 12:10 AM
On the turn you have a draw to a four flush ;-). Not my favorite hand

WyattErb
02-18-2004, 12:19 AM
well...i didnt like it too much either, but i wasnt going to fold my pocket Jacks just like that...true, maybe i should have folded, but sometimes u just have to be lucky;-)

Garland
02-18-2004, 12:21 AM
Clearly the flop had to have 2 diamonds.

Calling your opponent on the flop depends on a lot of factors including the likelihood that he'd raise on a draw himself to get a free card or scare you (most likey a straight draw) or possibly the 9 with a very good kicker. If he only raises on top pair or better in this position, you can safely fold this hand.

Finally, if your call on the flop is bad, his call on the river is atrocious.

Garland

WyattErb
02-18-2004, 12:30 AM
true, but my opponent is absolutely capable of semi-bluffing me in this spot! and i really didnt have him on that Queen...maybe a bad read from my side...

astroglide
02-18-2004, 01:46 AM
if you fold jacks by default when you get raised on a qxx flop i don't think you can get very far