PDA

View Full Version : What is the DEAL with these 3/6 players???????

IlliniRyRy
02-17-2004, 11:25 PM
I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but I really need to vent about this. The 3/6 Party players are absolutely ATROCIOUS. I can't stress that enough. It's great for my bankroll, I must admit. I started with $600 on December 13th, and I just reached $8230 tonight. That's almost 2 months exactly, and I only play about 20 hours a week or so. I really have a feeling that the caliber of players, believe it or not, is actually going to WORSEN even more soon. Since hold 'em is on TV and celebrities are playing it and everything, there are so many fish coming out of the woodwork that just like to gamble it up and literally call EVERY hand. In these pathetic games, if you raise preflop and you don't hit a hand or a very good draw, there's no point in betting because everyone will just call with anything. In the long run, I think I'm making a lot more money playing against all the morons that never go away, but the only downside to all this is that you just can't win as many pots and your variance is larger. When you do win a pot, it's huge. But pschologically speaking, you really have to stay as detached as possible because there's going to be suckouts all day long. Today I had like 20 billion suck outs and I still made $200. God I love poker, although I think I might be going a little bonkers.

bdk3clash
02-17-2004, 11:47 PM
This is good to hear. I'm probably going to start playing 3/6 on Party in a few weeks, and I'm glad (and not surprised) that the competition is as weak as you say. I guess the 3/6 players are the same as the 2/4 players, but with 50% more money. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Also, I crunched some of your numbers:

8 weeks @ 20 hours per week = 160 total hours
$7630 profit/160 hours = +$47.69, or + around 8 BB/hour

If you're doing this all on one table at a time, you're having an amazing run. Hope you keep it up! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Are you playing multiple tables or just one at a time?

joker122
02-17-2004, 11:52 PM
Hey, your post is pretty interesting. I play 2/4 right now and am very happy with it. I'm beating it pretty comfortably (about 3.7 BB per 100 hands) and had no intentions of moving up until I read your post. Are the players at $3/6 worse than those at $2/4???

IlliniRyRy
02-18-2004, 06:13 PM
From my experience, YES the 3-6 players are much much worse than the 2-4 players. I think it's because there are more people at the 3-6 tables like myself that are absolutely gutting these morons that will bet every time you check to them. I just check raise all day long and people call it all with bottom pair. They must be frustrated from losing constantly, so they're just absolutely desperate to win a pot. The 3-6 style, no matter what table you're at, is loose aggressive or loose passive. ...and the answer to the 2nd question is I play 3 games simultaneously. That's the only way I'd be able to maintain such a high hourly rate.

balkii
02-18-2004, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I play 3 games simultaneously. That's the only way I'd be able to maintain such a high hourly rate.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd need to play about 6 or 7 tables to maintain that hourly rate.

Homer
02-18-2004, 06:17 PM
Are the players at $3/6 worse than those at $2/4???

No.

Homer
02-18-2004, 06:20 PM
9.5 weeks * 20 hrs/week * 3 tables/hr * 2 BB/table * 6 dollars/BB = $6840. He won $7630.

My guess is that he is experiencing some positive variance, but nothing too far out of the ordinary.

-- Homer

WarmonkEd
02-18-2004, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I play 3 games simultaneously. That's the only way I'd be able to maintain such a high hourly rate.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd need to play about 6 or 7 tables to maintain that hourly rate.

[/ QUOTE ]

if bdk3clash's math is right, that's only 2.7 BB/HR/table. That's do-able. Especially online where the hands are much faster.

bdk3clash
02-18-2004, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if bdk3clash's math is right, that's only 2.7 BB/HR/table. That's do-able. Especially online where the hands are much faster.

[/ QUOTE ]

If? If? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Seroiusly, though, 2.7 BB/hr is pretty doable, though not by me. /images/graemlins/grin.gif The sample size isn't huge, though, so it's hard to say if this anywhere near his expectation or a good run.

Or, alternately, he might be running bad--just imagine what his long-term results will be.

Alobar
02-18-2004, 06:59 PM
just curious, what experience did you have before you jumped into 3/6?

IlliniRyRy
02-19-2004, 05:48 PM
I don't think I'm making anywhere near 2.7 BB/hr. It's more like 1.7 max. Homer's math is pretty accurate, check out his post. I'd say what I'm going through here is fairly normal, I might be a bit on the positive side of typical variance right now. It's going to even out. In response to the experience question, I played 1-2 online for a couple years and sporadically played 2-4 and 3-6 during that time. I've also played a little 4-8 and 5-10 live games. I learned how to play in college about 3 years ago, and I've pretty much always been a winning player. I know it sounds simplisitic, but as I said before, if you read the books and you're patient about playing only good hands and you're capable of folding good hands, the money just rolls in. Every day, I sit here and wonder how people can continue to play so poorly. They make the same mistakes over and over again, just calling absolutely every hand or playing overaggressively. I don't even think anymore while I'm playing, I'm on auto-pilot. There's absolutely no point in EVER bluffing unless you know the person is capable of folding. I just bet it when I get top pair or whatever and everyone calls.

lefty rosen
02-19-2004, 07:10 PM
He's played the equivalent of six months or two months of double shift play. And 7200 for six months of 20 hours a week at 3/6 is very doable especially on lemming tables.

lefty rosen
02-19-2004, 07:18 PM
Actually what are the table averages and what time of the day do you play? I have had real problems lately at party limit as I have no clue who these players are and what their starting requirements are(usually none) and who is an aggressive crackhead vs drawout artist........

IlliniRyRy
02-22-2004, 12:46 PM
Lefty, there's no one true answer as to what type of games occur at what time, but as a rule of thumb you should assume that most of the players are terrible at all times of the day, and that they have no starting hand requirements. 95% of them are too loose, some are calling stations, and some of them are overaggressive. I think the games tend to be much more aggressive after midnight until about 5 AM. I'd assume its because many of the players are drunk and/or tilting because they've lost all their money. There's a lot of emotion in these games.

Brian
02-22-2004, 02:40 PM
IlliniRyRy sounds off (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=388488&page=&view=&sb=5&o =&vc=1)

-Brian

IlliniRyRy
03-06-2004, 11:27 PM
I made a post here about a month ago regarding the poor caliber of players in 3-6, and we were also discussing hourly rate. I just wanted to let everyone know that my long term stats have changed significantly, and I think they're much more accurate now, given the fact that I just have more data. I realize now that the $30/hr rate playing 3-4 games is pretty much impossible to acheive. My bankroll is up to $9200, so I've only made about 1k this month and close to nothing in the last two weeks. Once you really go through a tremendous downswing of 80 BB or more, it just murders your hourly rate. Although I don't have exact data, I would imagine my hourly rate now is somewhere close to $18 (1BB/hr instead of like 1.5-6), maybe even less. So if anyone is trying to figure out what you can earn over the long term, bear in mind that if your data doesn't figure in a huge slump, then its not accurate. Eventually, no matter what you think, you're just going to get absolutely murdered for at least 6-7 sessions in a row. You're going to lose a ton of money and there's nothing you can do about it except play how you're supposed to play.

Monty Cantsin
03-07-2004, 12:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope.

/mc

Bob T.
03-07-2004, 04:35 AM
Nice post, welcome to the club.

Part of the game, is maintaining your balance throught the streaks, where you can do no wrong, and maximizing the wins during those streaks. Because you will also have the streaks, where your opponents find every river card, and when you make a set or straight and it is only an invitation to lose more money, and you have to fight to keep playing well, and to hold on to your bankroll.

Your post after experiencing one of those sounds a lot wiser, and more balanced than your earlier one.

The other thing to remember, is that if you play long enough, you will probably get to have another one of those fun wild rides, where you run well above expectation for a long time.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

Kenrick
03-08-2004, 02:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, I think the better question to ask is: "Are the 3/6 players any better than the 2/4 players?"

Styles
03-08-2004, 10:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, I think the better question to ask is: "Are the 3/6 players any better than the 2/4 players?"

[/ QUOTE ]

well, the 2/4 players are definitely worse than the 1/2 players ...