PDA

View Full Version : Poker Discussion Groups

01-13-2002, 06:14 AM
Several years ago, Alan Schoonmaker and I began what was to eventually evolve into the poker discussion group, or PDG. We used to have breakfast on tuesday mornings after I got off work from the hospital. We would mostly discuss poker, and would usually have a specific topic in mind before hand as a focal point for the conversation. Sometimes we would email posts or other material beforehand which were relevant to the discussions. Before long, Matt Lessinger was joining us for breakfast at lox, stock, and bagels, and the discussions became more focused and more "official."

Nowadays, Al lives in Vegas, and I live in San Diego, but we still discuss poker when I get to Vegas. Al started a new group in Vegas, and it has thrived. Various poker personalities have participated, and the discussions Al and I used to have at breakfast have transformed into a virtual phenomenon of their own.

Poker discussion groups are very useful in your development as a player, because you get feedback from other players, and get to ask questions and ponder new ideas which can improve your game. These groups are for the serious minded player only. They shouldn't be advertised in bold print on the front door of your cardroom, you don't want to hold school for the fishes. However, the truly serious players eventually wind up picking each other out anyway, so being excessively paranoid about discussing strategy is kinda futile. You can do well to discuss strategy with others who are knowledgeable. Just don't discuss it at the table, and don't invite your biggest donators to the meetings either.

I wish to start a discussion group here in San Diego. Anyone interested, email me. I have three so far, and our first meeting will likely be in the next week. I'm only interested in the serious minded players who have done their homework, are able to focus on a given topic(which may include passing and reading of emailed material ahead of time), have the motivation to seek out the group (I won't advertise this again), and are personable and articulate (NO Grumpy Guses!). In San Diego, holdem will obviously be the primary game discussed, but other games, especially 7CS, may be discussed as well. Please refer to my profile on this site for guidelines as to the required reading materials needed to be a participant. These aren't etched in stone, but if you haven't read at least the first four books, you should be intending to do so in the very near future. The concepts discussed in these books will be regularly referred to in the PDG meetings, so understanding them is pretty much required. I wish to generate intelligent debate, improve my game (and yours), teach you and learn from you, and socialize and network a little too. A home game circuit may well materialize from this endeavor as well, as may various friendships. I might even find a bumbling sidekick for my nightly bid to take over the world... Oops, ignore that last one!

Dave in Cali

01-13-2002, 07:25 PM
Hey Dave,

Anytime this week would be good for me. Preferably in the evening though as I am not much of a morning person. I will be at the lucky lady toninght around 10:30 after work. We can talk about it more there or e-mail me and let me know.

Travis