PDA

View Full Version : Bad Idea To Go For Checkraise?

Chris Daddy Cool
02-17-2004, 07:34 PM
last night 3/6 live game
incredibly, incredibly loose game, with 4 guys cold calling raises with pure crap before the flop all night long

i raise UTG, with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif
4 callers, including 2 of the aforementioned loose guys. SB and BB both fold.

flop:
Q/images/graemlins/club.gif 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif
top pair wonderful. i bet, the 2 looseys call, other 2 fold

turn: 10/images/graemlins/spade.gif
i'm positive i have the best hand here. this first guy had been betting at everything all night, so i check with the intention of check raising, but curse myself when its checked down costing myself 2 bets.

River: 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif
determined not to let more bets slip away from me, i bet only to find myself raised by loosey #1 and reraised by loosey #2
i glance at the board again and realized my failed attempt at the checkraise just gave one of them a straight and mucked in disgust.
loosey #1 shows 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif for the straight
and loosey #2 shows a Q-6 for two pair just to add insult to injury.

did i play this wrong?

Homer
02-17-2004, 07:40 PM
i'm positive i have the best hand here. this first guy had been betting at everything all night, so i check with the intention of check raising, but curse myself when its checked down costing myself 2 bets.

did i play this wrong?

No, you were fairly certain you had the best hand and that someone would bet the turn, allowing you to check-raise. It just didn't work out this time.

-- Homer

Jezebel
02-17-2004, 07:45 PM
A big benefit of the turn checkraise after raising preflop is to get your opponents to back off when you check the turn in future hands. If you are a threat to checkraise, you can get free cards occasionally. So not all was lost by missing your checkraise attempt if they noticed that just because you check the turn doesn't mean you are weak.

GuyOnTilt
02-17-2004, 07:47 PM
did i play this wrong?

No. Going for a check-raise on the turn there was fine. You should be doing that a good percentage of the time.

GoT