PDA

View Full Version : Quick bubble strategy question

slogger
02-17-2004, 06:02 PM
10+1 on Stars (4 players remain: Hero w/ 3300, big stack (BS) to Hero's right w/ 4250; shorter stacks w/ about 2500 each). Blinds = 150/300 (50 ante).

Assume no reads. We've been 4-handed for only about 10 minutes and pre-flop raises have taken down almost every pot.

Hero's in BB w/ AQo. Folded to BS in SB who raises to 1125.

Who folds? Who pushes in? Anyone just call?

Why?
Now assume that all players seem to have attempted to steal equally as much, with the exception of the big stack, who has done so less often than the rest.

Does your answer change?

LetsRock
02-17-2004, 06:48 PM
Well lift my skirt, but I'm laying this down.

It's not realistic to be at this point in a SnG and have no reads. Your later input that the button has shown less inclination to stealing is good enough for me to stay out of the mix at this point. Maybe I've just had real bad luck with AQ in the past month or so (especially in SnGs), but I don't want to bust out just yet.

Calling would just reduce your stack for no good reason and unless you get a great flop, you'll still be in guessing mode and you're out of position - he'll just steal the pot from you on the flop if you don't bet. Just an Ace on the flop would be torture for you.

Let them sort it out. You can always steal your blind back vs. one of the short stacks.

Utah
02-17-2004, 07:04 PM
Easy easy easy situation. Blinds are gobbling your stack.

You have a premium hand and at the worst you will probably only be a slight underdog (unlikely you are against A,K, AA, or K,K) and you could very likely catch SB with a weaker A.

jwp
02-18-2004, 04:36 PM
I *may* just call this bet since it is approximately 1/3 your stack. Even if you fold on the flop you're still comparable to the shorter stacks on the table.

Your hand is pretty good. If the flop hits with an A or Q, I'm all-in. If you whiff, then I would push on a check by SB in a kind of Stop 'n Go play. If SB moves all-in and I truly had no read, I would probably fold and take my chances playing with a stack about the same size as the two (previously) short-stacked players. (Admittedly, this post-flop move is more safe on the bubble than the preached aggressive style.)

I'm going to guess that many would consider this a weak play, but I think you have enough stack to see this flop without having to commit everything to it -- especially since I'm not certain I want to play for all my chips pre-flop.

Operative phrase is *may*. I think I might have a better read by the time we're 4-handed to help the decision.